Winds of Winter Reading at WorldCon

gbellinator

My secret hope for the next book is to get chapters from Varys and/or littlefinger POV. I think it would be an excellent way to shake up the series plus the latter would save us from having too many Sansa POV. You could still do them and be coy, but really whose world wouldn't be rocked by seeing some things through their eyes, even if its just a chapter. Plus with the exception of Victarion almost every "bad" guy we get a POV from causes us to reexamine our evaluation of them and has imo opinion has been a good thing.

sorry if it's been asked before but I am kind of new to the section and there is too many post for me to read(especially as I am completely exhausted right now).
So I just want to confirm if GRRM said that:
two large battles will take place early on, a 'battle of ice' (presumably at Winterfell) and a 'battle of fire' (presumably at Meereen). A third battle has been added, namely the assault on Storm's End by Jon Connington's forces and Tyrell army marching on them from King's Landing.
EDIT: hmmm what is the spoiler syntax? I dont see it a button for it in the toolbar ... although we are in a tWoW thread so it shouldnt matter much.

sorry if it's been asked before but I am kind of new to the section and there is too many post for me to read(especially as I am completely exhausted right now).
two large battles will take place early on, a 'battle of ice' (presumably at Winterfell) and a 'battle of fire' (presumably at Meereen). A third battle has been added, namely the assault on Storm's End by Jon Connington's forces and Tyrell army marching on them from King's Landing.
EDIT:
hmmm what is the spoiler syntax? I dont see it a button for it in the toolbar ... although we are in a tWoW thread so it shouldnt matter much.

It's

[ spoiler] [ /spoiler] minus the space I put in there. As this:

test

He had his face covered. The most likely explanation for this is precisely because his identity *is* relevant, and that Bran would have recognized him.

Now it could also be because his face is too 'scary' for the kids and injured in some nasty way. But after he is revealed as being undead there is less reason to conceal it. And I think most of us know how Martin works by now - Coldhands concealing his face because of his identity is standard. Whereas if Coldhands was too ugly, Martin would probably revel describing Bran's reaction to the monstrous disgusting visage :)

Surely it is just because it is obvious he is dead !! although i prefer the ben thing it could be that stark blood is immune to the others/wights

EDIT: hmmm what is the spoiler syntax? I dont see it a button for it in the toolbar ... although we are in a tWoW thread so it shouldnt matter much.

I wasn't at WorldCon but I was at a local benefit for libraries here (in Albuquerque) and Martin said that there were two battles that were left out of Dance that would be at the beginning of WoW-he didn't say "Ice and Fire" in any context but he did say "the battle for Winterfell".

When he opened up the floor for questions he said "no spoilers" but he himself let that one slip.

Just another little confirmation.

Surely it is just because it is obvious he is dead !! although i prefer the ben thing it could be that stark blood is immune to the others/wights

There could be a reason personal to Coldhands for keeping his face covered, that may eventually be revealed. I just don't think he's Benjen because he died long ago. However , GRRM may have other motivations for writing it that way that have nothing to do with the character. To keep us guessing , perhaps specifically to keep us from guessing that Benjen is the ghost in Winterfell . :lol:

There could be a reason personal to Coldhands for keeping his face covered, that may eventually be revealed. I just don't think he's Benjen because he died long ago. However , GRRM may have other motivations for writing it that way that have nothing to do with the character. To keep us guessing , perhaps specifically to keep us from guessing that Benjen is the ghost in Winterfell . :lol:

At a guess he is one of the old Kings from the Crypts. Bran would recognize the face from the carvings in the tombs.

ETA: I'm don't know if can write without using spoiler tags here...can i? I'll edit the post if spoiler tags are not needed smile.gif

Anyway, i've just realized a thing that bugged me for a while. It's about POV for winds.

2 months before ADWD's release, we knew the names of all the POVs (with the exception of Connington, but we also knew he only had two chapters) .. now, if Jon is not dead and he's going to be a POV again (although i think the title of his chapters will change, at least for a while), how can Martin think he's going to keep it a secret?

I'll explain: even if he doesn't tell us, Jon is a character who has always at least 5 chapters. As soon as he'll be done with Winds (i'm hoping for 2/3 years, wishful thinking) he's probably going to tell us which characters are POV, and we will probably be able to guess the rest. Something like "there are 10 pov characters you know about, plus two more i'm not telling you who have 9 chapters between them" is still not enough (we know a lesser, random POV will never are more than 2-3 chapters)

So, i'm guessing that, if jon will be back, either won't be a POV or we'll know about it before the book comes out..

What do you think?

this seems reasonable enough. i think

jon's backstory and the obvious cliffhanger we're left with is more than enough evidence that GRRM isn't finished at all with telling jon's tale. his POV is paramount to the rest of that narrative, I feel.

Dying for Winds of Winter. I'm glad there are some companion pieces coming out (or so I hear on this site). I'm not great about digging up info. All my info comes from this site and GRRM's site, but I absolutely cannot wait until the next book comes out. I haven't ever been as enrapt in a book or book series as I am with this one.

I think Winds of Winter will have even more WOW moments, and I expect the action and craziness to just build momentum through these last 2 books. (there are only 2 more right?) Oooooh, I can't wait. But I gotta. I know I gotta. :bang:

Archived