Should Littlefinger watch his step with Sansa?

Jamie Lannister

If LF is 35 in AGOT, then he's 32 in AFFC when Sansa (11 in AGOT) is 13); making him easily old enough to be her father. Sorry about the mistake, but it doesn't really affect the rest of my comment; Littlefinger's attitude and behavior toward Sansa is pervy and creepy.

Yup, agreed. LF is a pervert and a creep. He is unable or unwilling to differentiate between Sansa and Cat and is using a young girl to further his own ambitions and obsessions. He is making Sansa feel guilty (over things she had no control over) and then having to feel thankful (to the same monster who orchestrated and is responsible for all the things she had no control over). What he is doing to Sansa in the Vale is emotional and sexual abuse IMO, and this is why I am always hardpressed to find any admiration for the man or to see how he could be a fan fav. He is teaching Sansa the game whilst simultaneously playing a game on her. It is sick, twisted and cannot end well.

I also agree with you that after Sansa's awful experiences with men, it is important that two women are introduced into her life. I've theorised elsewhere that Myranda and Mya possess attitudes and qualities which Sansa needs to adopt. I firmly believe that Sansa is a candidate for having serious reservations when it comes to sex and romantic intimacy in general, and I'm hoping that Myranda's influence will help to alleviate this. Mya's importance is clear: She continues the symbolic linkage of the Stark/Baratheon alliance, but more importantly, she is an independent, self-assured, confident young girl-- and she has these qualities despite being a bastard. Sansa needs to attain much of what Mya naturally has. Doing so will help her to see that she does not need to have LF as a protector and that she can make it on her own. With Myranda's influence she might also feel more confident in recognizing her attraction to the Hound.

;)

• 1 month later...

Yes. I think she will be his doom in the end. He holds the cards now but when he leasts expects it Sansa will outwit him. I don't think that she will ever love him and the knowledge of it (of not being able to win Cat or Sansa) will help as well. She feels gratitude towards him but not love. She seems to think more about the kiss she thinks the Hound gave her than the ones Petyr gives her. She will end up realizing she can control him sexually and will scheme to kill him when she finds out that he helped kill Ned.

I have to say, his relationship with Sansa is probably the creepiest in any of the books. The whole looking at her like a daughter and at the same time wanting her is messed up on so many levels. And yes, he should watch his back. In my opinion, Sansa will be the one to avenge her father's murder.

• 2 weeks later...

Sansa was learning the game of thrones before Littlefinger started teaching her. He might have named the game but she was learning it in King's Landing from her own experiences with lessons added by Cersei herself. Remember their talk during the battle in the hall? How she told her that women have a weapon between their legs. Littlefinger's weakness seems to be Tully women. He'll be blinded by his desire for Catelyn that he hopes to fulfill with Sansa. She'll use this to her advantage. But honestly I don't see her getting any sort of real revenge on Littlefinger. Sweet justice like that is rare in these books.

I'll settle for Sansa dropping a word in the right ear and setting the ball rolling for Littlefinger's fall. While it would be nice to have her personally order him out the Moon Door or sent out of the Vale as a powerless, disgraced exile, it may not happen.

There's one thing I keep thinking of in terms of Sansa being possibly able to keep her feelings and plans secret from Littlefinger, once she decides to take action against him - she was able to veil them from Tyrion, who is normally a keen observer of human nature. He thought she was just being pious when she mentioned going to the Godswood. And it did not occur to him that Sansa was running a game of her own under Tyrion's very eyes, called Getting Out of Town. Even though she had help from Dontos and Littlefinger, Sansa was the one, not her older male helpers, who had to live with Tyrion and deceive him, and she did.

But first, Sansa has to realize that Littlefinger is pulling her into some very deep and dangerous waters. Right now (end of AFFC), Sansa is committed to "Father"; and I don't blame her. She has no one else she can trust; and she can't exactly strike out on her own, Littlefinger would have her brought back from anywhere in the Vale, and his influence is the only thing keeping her from a date with Cersei and Qyburn in King's Landing and probably an execution. Sansa is disturbed and repelled by "Father"'s solicitation of un-filial affection, but LF, very cleverly, has not gone far enough to spark Sansa to rebel against him. I am thinking that she might overhear something, or uncover, via Littlefinger's papers or something, information which will enable her to connect the dots, about the plans for SweetRobin and Littlefinger's true role in Ned's death; and then Littlefinger had better look out. Either that, or Littlefinger will start groping her more intensely, and Sansa will realize she needs some help/advice....

Archived