Oona Chaplin is Jeyne…

Westeros

I don't mind how the actress looks. She's older then i would like, but they've had to up a lot of the ages thanks to the Dany problem.

My gripe comes if they increase her role in the show. I don't want them to have a romance and some flirtations. Her point was to show how stupid Robb was. He won every battle he ever fought, he could lead well, men respected him, but he had no political sense.

He meets a girl, de-flowers her in a weak moment when in need of some comfort. Marries her to try and do the honourable thing and eventually loses the war and his life. All thanks to one stupid moment.

A lead up would ruin that. You'd get the sense that he's just a romantic fool rather then simply a fool. If Catalyn had any stones, she would have killed the girl and make it look like an accident.

TV is a different medium and what worked fine in the books from a storytelling perspective won't necessarily translate well into television. Showing more of Robb's actions instead of having us hear about them afterward is necessary for the viewers to feel connected to Robb because they won't be privy to Catelyn's thoughts about him. As a result, it makes perfect sense that they aren't adhering perfectly to the plot of the books, and we'll probably meet Jeyne when Robb meets her for the first time too.

If you want to get technical, Robb DID meet in Jeyne in the second book. However, since there weren't any PoV characters around, we didn't see it happen. We know it happens though because of what Arya hears from the Freys at Harrenhal before she flees.

I agree actually, and I understand it, I probably just can't get over the fact that they can't put all of the details in the second season and that they need to go 'faster' and add some things from the 3rd book - they added from the 2nd book for the first season anyway...

I don't think that it could happen the way it happened in the books because Robb is older on TV than in the books and Richard Madden is in his mid 20s. It just doesn't play as well that Robb isn't sexually experienced and decides that sex with Jeyne equals love. Plus, the TV series infers that Jon went to the Winterfell brothel and visited Ros at least once. Of course, since Jon is emo, he doesn't have sex with Ros. But I'd assume that if Theon took Jon to visit his favorite girl than he probably went there with Robb as well.

I agree actually, and I understand it, I probably just can't get over the fact that they can't put all of the details in the second season and that they need to go 'faster' and add some things from the 3rd book - they added from the 2nd book for the first season anyway...

well, its difficult to avoid, due to the medium, so I don't think there's much choice, short of just ignoring all Northmen for the second season. I understand your desire for it to adhere to the novel, but if something like this pops up where something must be mentioned or seen earlier, I vote to try and take advantage of that fact instead of cringing away from it. That way it also builds more of whats actually happening, and it also allows for the situation to be told to the viewers in a way that fits the medium, instead of doing what the book does and going "oh, yeah, a book ago all this stuff happened to somebody else...anyways, hows the weather?", which doesn't translate well. The show should be liberated and follow the book loyally, but not be chained to it (same thing anyways, just different reveals).

And yes, this likely means for excessive romance scenes, but, to be fair, the show does lean towards putting extreme visual emphasis on often implied scenes. I just pray that doesn't mean we get one with Stannis and his Queen :stunned:

And yes, this likely means for excessive romance scenes, but, to be fair, the show does lean towards putting extreme visual emphasis on often implied scenes.

I really hope that the scene with Jeyne treating Robb's wounds and then *achem* comforting him plays out just like described in the books. That should satisfy book purists (who cares if we see it in real time vs. Robb telling Cat about it) and give the viewer a nice, tender love scene all at once. It's kind of sad that we watched the entire first season, there was sex in most episodes, but it was almost always coercive to some degree(Jaime/Cersei being the exception and um, incest).

Also, Ooona is so cute n' adorable!!! I just want to take her home with me and hang out!! I'm not that cool but w/e!

I just pray that doesn't mean we get one with Stannis and his Queen :stunned:

Ugh Stannis / Selyse is the least sexy thing ever.

I suppose they could show Stannis having un-sexy sexy times with his wife and then contrast the mindblowingly awesome sex with Melisandre later. Uhhuh, sure Stannis. You only like Melisandre for her magical powers. More like her magical VAGINA powers. :thumbsup:

My gripe comes if they increase her role in the show. I don't want them to have a romance and some flirtations. Her point was to show how stupid Robb was. He won every battle he ever fought, he could lead well, men respected him, but he had no political sense.

He meets a girl, de-flowers her in a weak moment when in need of some comfort. Marries her to try and do the honourable thing and eventually loses the war and his life. All thanks to one stupid moment.

When I first thought about it coming in early I was hesitant and hoped for the basic book thing. Mind you if we see a long blossoming romance between the two then people will have a lot more affection for the character so when the big swerve comes newbies will be more shocked by what's happened. I'm still working through the books and not up to the RW myself (got that spoilt when I first discovered the show pretty much.... :( ) so don't know about the aftermath and may be talking rubbish but I think if worked right it COULD have a bigger WTF for viewers new to the series.

Um... I just looked at her picture and...

she is hot, as hell.

Who are you nerds sleeping with, to disparage her looks like that? :lol:

Sorry, that's uncalled for, I know, but I'm tired of (much of) the female cast being assailed for how they look when they are fucking hot. It's like... wtf? Where do people get their standards when OONA CHAPLIN isn't attractive enough?? Not from real life, that's for sure.

When I first thought about it coming in early I was hesitant and hoped for the basic book thing. Mind you if we see a long blossoming romance between the two then people will have a lot more affection for the character so when the big swerve comes newbies will be more shocked by what's happened. I'm still working through the books and not up to the RW myself (got that spoilt when I first discovered the show pretty much.... :( ) so don't know about the aftermath and may be talking rubbish but I think if worked right it COULD have a bigger WTF for viewers new to the series.

That sucks that you got spoiled for the RW. How did that happen? I just read the books about a month before the series came out, but luckily I was completely unspoiled. I was completely shocked. Not just that he died, but the way he died.

I think this is the actress that has confounded me the most...since I got no idea what she is suppose to play....other than a dornish character...which they have said she isn't...she might have passed for Asha Greyjoy as well perhaps...but but Asha ...or "Yara" (sounds retardedly russian instead of ironbornish), we know she isn't either of those.

Some of the characters in the show don't look exactly as described in the books...starting with the multitude of eye colors of the children of Ned and Catelyn, Jon's brown (not grey) eyes and not all of Robert's bastards having blue eyes. It looks like the show runners are casting on the basis of acting ability rather than strictly on looks.

If Oona is Jeyne Westerling, I don't have a problem with her looks being different than in the books. Her specific looks are not a critical factor to her role in the story; just that she's "pretty" depending on perspective - which Oona certainly is.

Archived