A different destiny for Jon

Kennit

I really hope he is not dead. All the Stark children ( not rickkon) seem to be blind, they are not so smart.

They are not blind or stupid, I think they were kept in the dark by their elders, I am not sure why, maybe they were thought too young or their parents (Ned, above all), missed some very important information that should have been passed from one generation to another...

But can you envision a spring with the Others still around? They might not bring winter, but they do seem to reenforce it.

I read a theory (not sure whether it was one of the Heresies or not) that whatever Azor Ahai did to win thousands of years ago, lead to the imbalance between Ice and Fire and therefore to the unnatural cycle of seasons. Since GRRM in the past allegedly said that seasons last years because of "magic" and we will get know the exact reason, I'm willing to give it a chance.

(So maybe the Others just want to restore balance. Would be cool if heroes "saved" the world by beating the Others again, only to learn they did, in fact, just doomed Earthos to become uninhabitable, lol. Not saying anything close to it will actually happen.)

I read a theory (not sure whether it was one of the Heresies or not) that whatever Azor Ahai did to win thousands of years ago, lead to the imbalance between Ice and Fire and therefore to the unnatural cycle of seasons.

Well, as the legend goes, AA only arrived at the scene after the Others had already invaded Westeros in the course of the Long Night - so the season were already out of snyc _during_ the War for Dawn. AA was the "last hero" which makes me assume that at this time the war had already been going on for a while, and it was definitely already about the unbalanced season (the long Night), not just about the Others.

Well, as the legend goes, AA only arrived at the scene after the Others had already invaded Westeros in the course of the Long Night - so the season were already out of snyc _during_ the War for Dawn. AA was the "last hero" which makes me assume that at this time the war had already been going on for a while, and it was definitely already about the unbalanced season (the long Night), not just about the Others.

You're right. I just keep hoping there's some great twist along the way. I mean, I love Jon and (most of) the other guys in the NW, but I'm not all that thrilled about this storyline. The only interesting thing it can possibly bring are the reactions of non-NW people once shit hits the fan. Duh.

It's a tricky issue. One the one hand I like the idea of all the warring human fractions eventually united against a bigger threat, because that's the kind of sentimental shit that always pushes my particular buttons, on the other hand I get why people don't really want the Others to turn out some mindless evil minions that can be slaughtered without any moral qualms, because there'd be something facile about that indeed.

I always liked to see them more in terms of a natural disaster (that's why I keep harping on the Long Night; the others for me are more a symptom of that). But people are right to point out that they certainly do show signs of superior consciousness.

I guess I don't want them to be evil and mindless but I don't want them to be just another faction you can ally with in the games of thrones either. I want them to be truly alien and not entirely comprehensbile.

AA does not appear in any legends of Westeros, and the stories of the Last Hero are conspicuously silent as to how (and indeed if) he defeated the Others. All that we actually know is that when he was being pursued the Children "saved him"

AA does not appear in any legends of Westeros, and the stories of the Last Hero are conspicuously silent as to how (and indeed if) he defeated the Others. All that we actually know is that when he was being pursued the Children "saved him"

But even if he did not defeat the Others, but negotiated a pact with them instead, there remains the fact that he only appears on the scene after the Long Night has already been going on for a while. So it seems that neither a victory over the others, nor a pact with them, was what imbalanced the seasons.

Archived