Lysa - Insane or Post moon blood syndrome?

So Lysa comes off as a little unstable to say the least. In AGOT, she is pissed that Cat brought the Imp to the Eerie screeching that he killed Jon. Then at the end of ASOS, she admits to poisoning Jon herself. So either that was some damn fine acting by a spacey chick in front of Cat and the Imp or was it a glitch in the story?

Exactly. Remember that she loved Petyr and gave him her maidenhood. When she emded up with a baby in her belly her lord father made her drink moon tea to abort her love child bastard. Petyr loved Cat but deflowered Lysa -- he claims he did both but Cat's POV did not reflect that this was, in fact, true. So, when Lysa was forced to marry old Lord Arryn, she did so miserably. The madness began once she began losing attempts at child birth with Jon Arryn. She reached full madness once Robert was born sickly and Lord Arryn decided to ward the child with Stannis. Petyr played off this madness to get her to kill Jon Arryn so he could begin his plot to make his play in the game of thrones.

Make no mistake, Petyr Baelish wants to sit upon the Iron Throne.

I don't see a glitch- or a post moon blood syndrome;) I see a woman who has been unhappy all her life, who has been losing it mentally for quite some time. She always played second fiddle to her sister-the man she loved loved Cat instead. She was forced into marrying someone she did not love, and had to sit by and watch her sister, who she always envied, become happy in her marriage and have many children. I know a lot of women like Lysa, sadly...people with no self esteem who are constantly comparing themselves to others, full of envy and resentment, and eventually bitterness.

She is crazy with desperation. She is desperate to be loved (especially by Petyr, the only man SHE ever loved), and finally getting her wish only makes her more desperate, because deep down she knows/feels that she does not deserve it (she must know that Petyr does not love her-she is just willing to go along with the farce as long as she can delude herself)....anything that comes between her and her delusions must be stopped at all costs.

I found her hatred of Tyrion and the Lannister's in general pretty confusing. She was going on about hating them all, and was very eager to throw Tyrion out of the moon door, where realistically it would have made much more sense to let him go a free man. This would have kept her, and her son safer. Personally I think her wanting Tyrion dead is a plot hole.

• 2 weeks later...

I found her hatred of Tyrion and the Lannister's in general pretty confusing. She was going on about hating them all, and was very eager to throw Tyrion out of the moon door, where realistically it would have made much more sense to let him go a free man. This would have kept her, and her son safer. Personally I think her wanting Tyrion dead is a plot hole.

It's not a plot hole at all, IMO.

I think Lysa was clearly trying to deflect suspicion from herself by convicting Tyrion of Jon's murder. She was desperate for it to be believed that Tyrion was the culprit, because once he's convicted/tossed down the moon door, she's finally and truly gotten away with it. That's why she so desperately wanted the death penalty, right there in the Eyrie. To close the case for good.

It's not a plot hole at all, IMO.

I think Lysa was clearly trying to deflect suspicion from herself by convicting Tyrion of Jon's murder. She was desperate for it to be believed that Tyrion was the culprit, because once he's convicted/tossed down the moon door, she's finally and truly gotten away with it. That's why she so desperately wanted the death penalty, right there in the Eyrie. To close the case for good.

As I just finished ASoS this is fresh in my mind. It was Petyr's idea to blame the Lannisters originally by sending the note of Jon's death to Catelyn, therefore "solidifying" Lysa's "hatred" of the Lannister family.

So, when Catelyn shows up with Tyrion, she can't just forget about the plan she and Petyr had come up with, so she had to act accordingly. To some extent I think that the whole scenario with Tyrion was taken to an extreme because Lysa (I feel) is indeed quite a bit unbalanced, but it worked out well for keeping up the fascade.

In turn it kept Catelyn suspicious of the Lannisters, and the possible blame of Jon Arryn's death from Lysa because we all know that Catelyn was the most intelligent of all THREE of those Tully siblings, and would have eventually somehow come to the result that it was Lysa if she didn't play the part accordingly.

As it turns out, or in the end, it all boils down to this being done for her "love" (which, personally, I consider more of an unhealthy infatuation) for Petyr and the promise and potential of being with him.

On the subject of Cersei and HER love, that someone had mentioned prior, I actually don't think that you can compare the two. From what it seems to me, it's not nearly the same thing. She has a tendency to turn to Jaime and use him only for her purposes. Sure, she loves him to some extent, but feelings as strongly as Lysa's would NOT allow Cersei to take so many other men into her bed simply for the promise of keeping the power of the throne. Her eye is FIRST and FOREMOST on keeping her children, or herself, in the seat of greatest power.

So Lysa comes off as a little unstable to say the least. In AGOT, she is pissed that Cat brought the Imp to the Eerie screeching that he killed Jon. Then at the end of ASOS, she admits to poisoning Jon herself. So either that was some damn fine acting by a spacey chick in front of Cat and the Imp or was it a glitch in the story?

No, Lysa knew all along she had poisoned her husband. Littlefinger proposed this solution to her, suggested that she send word that the Lannisters had killed Jon Arryn (to pit Stark against Lannister as early in the game as possible), and told her that LF would find a way to marry Lysa once a way became clear (before becoming Lord of Harrenhall, LF was not of suitable noble birth to marry Lysa Tully Arryn).

Lysa, while being rather batshit insane, was able to keep up her story blaming the Lannisters for Arryn's death. Their marriage was loveless - Jon Arryn was twice her age, and he only married her to secure an alliance with Riverrun. After 5 miscarriages and only one weakling live son, I think things had taken their toll on Lysa's mind, hence the batshit insanity.

Definitely was NOT a story glitch or continuity error. I actually came to suspect that Lysa had poisoned Jon Arryn after both Jaime and Cersei denied it (to people whom they'd have no reason to lie).

• 1 month later...

Archived