whats going on with Sansa?

Ser Alaster

That depends of what a happy ending might be. If this were acquired wisdom, the ability to take responsibility for her own life, learning to look after herself.......simply doing her own laundry, her own cooking, being independent of servants, yes that would be some achievement. This would as well mean taking moral responsibility for her own actions, not being any longer in need to be saved or protected - in short, growing up and finding a place of her own in the world.

Look, noble born girls don't do their own laundry, cooking etc, but that doesn't mean that Sansa can't be self sufficient because of this. If you mean that you'll respect her more if she proves she can somehow "toughen" it up, I'd remind you that she isn't a wildling. She's been brought up to be this way, and the requisite skills that she needed to survive in the world that she was in are precisely the ones she had: courtesy, grace and charm. Further, I am a bit tired of hearing this idea that Sansa was waiting around to be saved. Are you forgetting that she was a prisoner of the Lannisters whose movement around the castle was watched very closely? LF didn't "save" her either. He basically sprang her from one entrapment so that he could have her under his own; if there is anyone that attempted to rescue Sansa it was the Hound, and we know he made a mess of it.

In a world like Westeros and in a story like Martin's this can only happen through ugly experiences and suffering, she will not be spared the evil things that happen to all of Martin's female protagonists - otherwise it would be kitsch or heavy cartoon irony from Martin' s side. Sansa's character anyway is bordering to overstep into fairytale ingenue, I believe in the following story development Martin will set this right.

Well she hasn't been spared anything has she? Let's see: she was forced to watch her father's beheading; she was beaten daily be grown men and threatened by her fiance on numerous occasions; she was then horribly tricked by her captors and forced to marry their deformed son so that he could steal her claim to Winterfell; her life was nearly ended when she was caught in a mob and would have been ganged raped; she again nearly lost her life at the hands of her aunt Lysa, and has been implicated as an accessory or witness to three murders so far, and finally she is being subjected to the unwanted sexual advances from a man pretending to be her guardian. This is the farthest thing from "fairtytale ingenue" I have ever seen in my life. I don't think Sansa's life will be filled with roses going forward, because this simply wouldn't be realistic, but to suggest that somehow she's had it easy is ridiculous.

There is this wonderful Cersei quotation about nine parts mess and one part happiness, which turns out to be the messiest part. So even if Sansa should find a love interest within the boundaries of this story she will be far, far away from a happy ending. And surely that brute who had a knife at her throat and fantazised about raping and killing her instead of leaving her for another man does not sound promising for her future. Let's hope that he never ever again gets close to her, this cries domestic violence.

You may not like Sandor as a romantic interest for her, and believe me there are many reasons not to, but one of them isn't for the fear he will subject her to domestic violence. He wouldn't beat or harm Sansa and certainly if she was ever in danger from him that isn't the case now after his QI experience. He was really the only person who looked out for her at KL, and his offer to take her away was a genuine offer of protection.

Archived