My personal contribution to art of crackpottery

dragginstoned

I've read all the books, at least 3 times. So have many of my friends.

I've had some crackpot theories. I came up the whole R+L=J thing and everybody was like "yeah, that one has been going around for years"

Anyhow, a friend of mine, who does not have time for forums put forth a notion a couple of weeks ago, and I'd like to bounce it around.

Prior to the Battle At Greenforks, Tyrion introduces his hill people and Bronn to his father and Uncle.

However the dialogue in EP08 was different from the books.. And we learn that Bronn rather than being a "sellsword of no particular allegence" is, now famously: "Bronn son of ..." "You wouldnt know him sir".

During and After the delivery of this line, Tywin Lannister looks at Kevan Lannister for a long minute and then look relieved when Bronn doesnt name is father.

Why?

Further, EP08 was written by GRRM himself. So its canonical.

My theory Tywin and Kevan know damn well who Bronn's father is and that would be a problem if it was discussed. Even in front of Tyrion. or Especially in front of Tyrion.

So....

Who is the "you wouldnt know him sir"?

Discuss

This is interesting, and I love crackpot theories. Now that you've put this forth, I MUST rewatch the episode to catch that glance between T and K, which will of course be an enormous pain to do because it's not like the series is OMFG AWESOME or anything like that.

My first thought would be that the glance exchanged was along the lines of "who the fuck is this guy?" in utter disgust at Bronn and at Tyrion who would hire him.

But there were weird little things dropped in about Bronn in the series, I agree. The "you wouldn't know him" and then that weird reference during the painful drinking game scene about Bronn being north of the wall for "work." This immediately made me (and some others) think they might have been suggesting that Bronn was a deserter from the Night's Watch.

As to who his father is? Not sure.

But there were weird little things dropped in about Bronn in the series, I agree. The "you wouldn't know him" and then that weird reference during the painful drinking game scene about Bronn being north of the wall for "work." This immediately made me (and some others) think they might have been suggesting that Bronn was a deserter from the Night's Watch.

As to who his father is? Not sure.

That and the fact that he wears black ringmail...

This is right! I think if we were to roll with this suggestion, it might be that Bronn was sent to the wall for some crime, eventually was like "f this, I'm out bitches" and headed south.

As to his father... is your idea that it's someone that Tywin knows?

I'm willing to buy into the theory that Bronn could be a Night's Watch deserter who never got caught.

But I'm about 95% sure that the "You wouldn't know him" line was a joke, poking fun at the whole "so-and-so, son of you-know-who" formalities. And I think Tywin and Kevan were more like, "Who is this asshole?" than anything.

Yeah I watched the series before reading the books, but there were certainly references in the show that happened in the later books.

Of course all of those books were already written (I don't recall if there was anything from ADWD that was referenced in the show), but I definitely have wondered if there was anything (like the topic theory) that GRRM had put into the show that would occur in his future books. I thought the 'You wouldn't know him" line was just a humorous moment for the show, but as I read through the books I kept waiting to hear why Bronn was north of the wall, and we still haven't found out.

First of all: nothing in the TV series is 'canonical' for the books. No, not even if GRRM wrote it. That's just not how it works. The two versions of the story are different and so, as far as I understand it, they have different (if related) canons.

As such, I am not at all sure that this thread belongs in the book forums.

Secondly, this isn't a theory, so much as it is a subjective observation. I'm not convinced you even have a pot, let alone a cracked one. ;)

This is right! I think if we were to roll with this suggestion, it might be that Bronn was sent to the wall for some crime, eventually was like "f this, I'm out bitches" and headed south.

As to his father... is your idea that it's someone that Tywin knows?

Yes. Both Tywin and Kevan

At first I thought Robert, because we have 9 bastards MIA, but Bronn's to old. And maybe that was the beard.

I'm gonna rule out a Targ. the world has enough of those.

First of all: nothing in the TV series is 'canonical' for the books. No, not even if GRRM wrote it. That's just not how it works. The two versions of the story are different and so, as far as I understand it, they have different (if related) canons.

As such, I am not at all sure that this thread belongs in the book forums.

Secondly, this isn't a theory, so much as it is a subjective observation. I'm not convinced you even have a pot, let alone a cracked one. ;)

No. it's a theory based on subjective observation

but if he was a deserter from the NW, wouldn't he, um, get another shirt. When people escape from prison they don't walk around in orange jumpsuits.

Ok heres a REALLY crackpot suggestion - with perhaps the odd spoiler thrown in

Bronn is Tysha's brother - and that's why he decides to save Tyrion's life. And thats why later on he .... Even more spoilers ... read the books or watch the next series to finish the sentence

How the hell is that gonna happen with Tyrion noticing?

but if he was a deserter from the NW, wouldn't he, um, get another shirt. When people escape from prison they don't walk around in orange jumpsuits.

If a ranger happened to get in Bronn's way while he was "working" and that ranger had some nice black ring mail, nicer than what Bronn had, well that fellow wouldn't be needing it anymore anyway, right?

Archived