Wun Wun and Football

Kadence

But this particular one has you all buttsore like you got buggered by Talhart Cavalry till you shit rabbit fur for a month. Why?

Why is this any cheaper than inverting Star Wars to the point of cutting off Jamie's hand? I mean he's blond, a brilliant swordsman and fucking his twin sister? That wasnt cheap for you but this is?

Tape a glass underneath each of your eyes. GRRM thrives on your tears.

Complain again and I'll parody it all over the interbutts. Dont make me get out the downfall video... Dont. Make. Me.

Ahh, how refreshing to speak to someone with eloquence and sophistication. :bowdown:

Since you brought up Star Wars let me make a wild guess. You surely were thrilled by the inclusion of Jar Jar Binks, weren't you? After all, isn't he such a funny guy? I my opinion it just shows that George (Lucas) doesn't take himself or his creation too seriously. I honestly don't know why all the fans were so buttsore about the new episodes.

Some people are seriously lacking a sense of humour.

T

:blink: Wooow. I totally missed Jaime=Luke Skywalker. I guess this means Martin wishes Lucas had done the incest storyline instead! Wonder if Jaime will meet a female Han Solo. Heh, Sarella would probably be the closest thing, though I doubt they ever meet :)

Totally. Hoth=Winterfell. Broken Tower = South Passage.

The actors that play them even have the same mullet:

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r166/tangentninja/jl.jpg

Plus

He's also Anikin. Golden Hand. Kingslayer. Multi-Volume Redemtion Arc.

Ahh, how refreshing to speak to someone with eloquence and sophistication. :bowdown:

Since you brought up Star Wars let me make a wild guess. You surely were thrilled by the inclusion of Jar Jar Binks, weren't you? After all, isn't he such a funny guy? I my opinion it just shows that George (Lucas) doesn't take himself or his creation too seriously. I honestly don't know why all the fans were so buttsore about the new episodes.

Some people are seriously lacking a sense of humour.

Jar-Jar was a racist caraciture. Wun Wun was awesome. The new episodes make me feel like I was raped by someone in a Greedo mask. So I dont watch them.

Similiarly, if this is the end to you, take up a different books series. We all have our tastes.

Sooo... This reference went over the heads of most American Football fans, and it surely passed by the rest of us Americans who don't pay any attention to football at all. The ONLY people who seem to have "got it" on their first reads were the people who read GRRM's blog and were privy to the bet he made.

Sounds to me like GRRM is a master storyteller, in that he can sneak in these references and yet make it all so believable in his story that most of us aren't aware of his little joke.

I, for one, appreciate that! I also just took a look at the References and Homages thread and was stoked to see how many are here. I missed almost all of them, and it's wildly entertaining to see them in hindsight!

The short and long of it is that it's fine because Martin fit it on top of the story, rather than the story around it. Pretty much like all the references.

Think of it as there being Big Giant Guy With No Name who, for the purposes of the story, tears Some Knight Also Without A Name to pieces. Apply any two names & insignia.

Jar-Jar was a racist caraciture. Wun Wun was awesome. The new episodes make me feel like I was raped by someone in a Greedo mask. So I dont watch them.

Similiarly, if this is the end to you, take up a different books series. We all have our tastes.

Funny innocent Jar-Jar? Nice new episodes? Perhaps your expectations were to blame, George's genius is just awesome. Maybe you should direct your own movie if you're so buttsore about it.

I hope to see Ser Benn "Strongarm" Friedmann and Ser Harry "Holdtheline" Carson in the next book. Or maybe Bolton and Stannis can dunk it out one on one in the Winterfell courtyard.

This would be awesomenest BestEVA!

There are no characters named Jack Vance or Robert Jordan.

You must be mistaken

i didn't get the Vance reference (shame on me!) but there's definitively a maester Rigney who wrote that time is a wheel :) read between the lines! :D

Actually, ser Patrek might also be "the bleeding star" so the whole story is even more complicated than it looks xD

I know, and if Jon turns out to be Azor Ahai under Martin's hated football team sigil, then I will have no choice but to LMAO again... :lmao: And then, of course, I will kiss his bloody feet :bowdown:

the brotherood of the weird violet symbols made me lol xD. So, you're from spain, aren't you?

Guilty :blush: but I ride with the Brotherhood of the Blue-Deep red weird thingie :lmao: we are far more fearsome, you know... :lmao:

Why is this any cheaper than inverting Star Wars to the point of cutting off Jamie's hand? I mean he's blond, a brilliant swordsman and fucking his twin sister? That wasnt cheap for you but this is?

Shiiit, I didn't see it at all :ack: You're right, Jaime is a Skywalker! :lmao: Well, I guess Martin isn't just a great writer, he is also a great comediant and a bit of a freak :smug:

1) Didn't GRRM admit Robb Stark was named after Robert Jordan in his RIP post?

2) Huge Giants fan and completely missed the reference. He made Patrek fit well enough into the realm of possibility that I didn't pick up on the Cowboy reference, or the Simms reference. Doesn't mean I don't love it.

1) Didn't GRRM admit Robb Stark was named after Robert Jordan in his RIP post?

2) Huge Giants fan and completely missed the reference. He made Patrek fit well enough into the realm of possibility that I didn't pick up on the Cowboy reference, or the Simms reference. Doesn't mean I don't love it.

1) no, he didn't. Robb stark was named (in-story) for Robert. Martin was following the medieval tradition to name sons of lords after the king. Anyway, he didn't name robert after robert jordan - i don't think they even knew each other back in 1991. you should ask ran, maybe he knows.

Anyway, i've already written about the Jordan reference, which is pretty obvious if you've read WoT: is about a maester called Rigney (RJ's real last name) who wrote that time is a wheel

I too wish there were more opportunities for this.

He could write in Ser/Lord Bremner - The White Knight. He would have ginger, frizzy hair and be short of stature, yet an exceptional fighter and leader. His sigil could be a White Rose (from somewhere near Highgarden - maybe Elland Hill) and he hates the red Lannisters (he could even refer to them as the Red Devils).

His fellow knights of Elland Hill - Ser Madeley, Ser Cooper, Ser Reaney and of course - Yeboah (a pit fighter from across the Narrow Sea).

Of course, other Houses feel that those of Elland Hill play dirty when it comes to war. They were once a stronger house than they used to be, but they have aspirations to reach the top again. Their new Castellan is Ser Grayson.

I know the Maester Rigney reference, just could have sworn I read that somewhere. Oh well if I'm wrong.

the reason why i think you're wrong is b/c, being RJ a pen name, it makes more sense for GRRM to name a character "james" if he wanted to put RJ somewhere

I don't know how or why this could bother anyone, other than maybe sometimes its best not to go in the kitchen, if that knowledge might ruin your meal.

I mean, if I found out tomorrow that all of the Stark children were named after GRRM's neighbors or if the great houses were some obscure last names of some Scottish rock band that GRRM likes, it wouldn't change a damn thing about whether or not I enjoyed the books.

The only reason this one is different is because we all knew about it before it happened. If the giant was named Glib Glop and it was Ser Pargus, would it be any better? I can't imagine how it would be.

Jesus, grow a sense of humor. I had no idea about the contest so "Set Patrek" and "King's Mountain" meant nothing to me. I'm a big football fan and didn't see anything in Patrek's crest. Why should I? I'm reading a fantasy story.

However, when I found out the story afterward I thought it was hilarious. Well played Mr. Martin. I was very disappointed in large chunks of aDwD, but that was a nice tounge-in-check touch.

Well, on the other hand he claims that immersion in his world is paramount, he wants to put the reader through the experience of actually living in his world.

I don't know about you but when I read about "Ser Patrek of King's Mountain" aka Pat from Pat's fantasy hotlist from Montreal (King's Mountain, get it?), a Dallas Cowboys fan getting written into the story with the Cowboys' insignia AND getting killed be Phil "Wun Wun" Simms, the Giant, it pretty much destroys my immersion in Martin's world. It rips me out of Westeros and back in the real world, so to speak.

In addition I am not sure if "taking himself not too seriously" and implementing "clever" easter-eggs for cheap laughs in the story is commendable for an author undertaking to write one of the greatest fantasy epics ever. It shows a lack of respect for your own creation.

I wonder if the real Tolkien would have thought it fun to dress Saruman in a Premier league soccer shirt for example.

Obviously the "American" Tolkien has a different opinion.

Archived