Wun Wun and Football

Kadence

Surprised at the thread.. I was excited, thinking that it would be a discussion of the awesomeness of the inside football joke. I'm not a football fan, and the football hints went over my head, although I knew about the bet beforehand. When I found out about Wun Wun and the Giants tie-in, I thought it was brilliant and very funny, but not in a jarring way. I personally like that GRRM has a sense of humor and hides easter eggs in the series. and football, as we fans know, is a HUGE deal to GRRM. I've been dying for my friends to finish reading the series so I can tell them about this, knowing that it will likely not be noticed until pointed out.

The existence of Wun Wun, the sigil, Ser Patrek's name, none of it is particularly jarring in the context of the world. I don't see what there is to be so annoyed about, but as you say, you're entitled to your own opinion. Personally, my own opinion says you lack a sense of humor, have a huge sense of entitlement about how GRRM should write his own series (which has clearly given you some joy in the past), but.. yeah, that's you, I guess.

When I opened this thread, I honestly thought it was going to be a thread for speculation on what FB position Wun-Wun would play. Gotta say, I'm slightly disappointed.

Oh, and the whining about the clever hidden reference is pointless and ridiculous.

HAR! I suppose. Everyone is a Troll. It's just a matter of where you're sitting. I can't wait to read your post once Wun Wun wins tourneys and is awarded the Varys Lombardi Trophy.

Hahahaha well played.

Can the other 99% of us agree that this was an awesome little touch in the story?

I'm a huge football fan but I didn't realize the references until I saw it a few days after I read the book.

If the names had stayed the same yet there was no outside reference, would there be any "uproar?"

My favorite nod of Martin's would be Trebor Jordayne as I am a huge WoT fan.

Yeah, I'm not buying the whole Jaime is Luke Skywalker thing. Just don't see it. She's his twin, and he lost a hand. Mighty thin thread that one hangs on.

As to Pill Simms ripping apart Cowboys... Well, this is fantasy, after all.

Clever, though, if you are right.

If Phil Simms is 'Wun Wun', then Hodor is William 'the Refrigerator' Perry (and Ramsey Bolton is O.J. Simpson)...

P.S.: I've seen GRRM state in an interview, responding to fans critical of the gap-delays between novels, that he likes to watch NFL football on Sundays (and does not apologize for taking time for himself). He obviously has introduced some other pop-culture references in the series (Monty Python, someone said the 3 Stooges...I'm sure you all would know more than I do), and much of the trajectory for the series owes much to other works of fiction (Ivanhoe, J.R.R. Tolkien, etc. [amongst historical record as well, to be sure]). I haven't finished ADwD, but why wouldn't George put in some football references? Good 'catch', thread-starter ;) Can't wait to get to that chapter! :)

P.P.S.: Laces out!

I just had a chance to catch up on this thread, and so far, no one has caught the OBVIOUS mistake about Wun Wun, and the Blue Star. It is obviously terrible writing because everyone knows that the Giants can't beat the Cowboys. This is such a stretch, that I was unable to suspend my disbelief at that point in the story.

Just remember NY fans. Ya'll hate the Cowboys because we have a club history of whooping you guys. You guys are considered the "cute" team in our division down here in Dallas. We do not even have the energy to hate you guys because you never took anything from us...

Archived