Chicon 7 Aug. 30-sept. 4 2012

Aoife,

I was tempted by a few of the academic track panels. I was particularly tempted to go and snark at the panel on String Theory. "So given that there is no independent experimental confirmation of any of the predictions that are restricted to string or M theory why do String Theorists continue to call this, at best, hypothesis a 'theory'"?

;)

The 2012 and 2013 cons end on Monday (Labor Day). I have only ever been to cons that end on Sundays. I always wish I had stayed until Monday. If this con ends on Monday, is everything shifted over a day so I will wish I stayed til Tuesday? I didn't like having to leave the big party early because of my plane trip home.

I guess my question is really "which nights are the party nights?" Friday/Saturday or Saturday/Sunday?

Yeah... I know it is early to be thinking about it, but I can't help it. :blushing:

When I have attended Worldcons, if work schedule permits, I always come in the day before the con starts and leave the day after it is over. The night before is usually a great night to hang out with 10-15 people and get the con started, proper, and usually a good chance to chat with George and Parris before things get nuts. I like leaving last because I hate saying goodbye.

I can imagine I'll be attending, as I'm a Chicagoan, but then I know better than to officioally commit to something that is still more than a year away.

Y'all will need someone local with a car (hey, that's me) to get the party supplies on site. Out-of-towners will not want to rent a car; my educated guess is that parking at the hotel will be $40-$45/day. Nearby parking garages are probably more like $30-$35/day. (For those who are planning to drive into town but won't need to use a car all weekend, I know a couple of more reasonably-priced parking lots, but they're probably a mile away from the hotel.)

Narcissa, we should collaborate on putting together lists/a guide of things to do & places to eat. I think I mentioned to you at the con that I already have one back from when I got married that we could use as a starting point.

I guess I can spare the 15 minutes it would take me to walk too the con hotel to attend. LOL. So yeah I will totally be there.

Btw maybe in about 6 months when some of you are starting to think about your travel plans, I'll do a post with everything you need to know about Chicago from transportation to alternate hotels to sightseeing and food/beverage places to help you with your planning.

Can't wait to see y'all in Chicago next year!

I'm in! I'll assist with any info needed from folks who might want suburban activities (especially North and West).

Jaxom,

We need you to hook up the BwB for this con.

:)

Ummmmm...I'm hoping I know some of the folks at the Hyatt Regency still. I've been out of the hotels for so long. That being said, it's just about the perfet damn hotel for something like this. I know I plan on spending time in The Big Bar, if nothing else.

Narcissa, we should collaborate on putting together lists/a guide of things to do & places to eat. I think I mentioned to you at the con that I already have one back from when I got married that we could use as a starting point.

I'm more than willing to pitch in and help, ladies! :)

I'm in. And this time I hope to plan in advance enough to get a room in the hotel hosting all the parties.

That whole shuttle plan in Reno sucked rocks. :angry2:

But you meet so many interesting people when walking long distances at night! And since I'm coming too, I could be, like, your bodyguard or something. :fencing: Only problem is that airlines tend to frown on people who try to bring swords on planes. Might have to resort to ninja moves. :ninja:

Or just reserve our room early. That would be good, too.

But you meet so many interesting people when walking long distances at night! And since I'm coming too, I could be, like, your bodyguard or something. :fencing: Only problem is that airlines tend to frown on people who try to bring swords on planes. Might have to resort to ninja moves. :ninja:

Or just reserve our room early. That would be good, too.

...I like the way your think outside of the box. This is one reason why you're so awesome. :D

I would like to attend this just so I can be a Princess of Chicago and perhaps order a deep dish quest of my own. :P (But really, I think a bunch of us are due if we go....Trebla, the X's, MG, probably more people of whom I've lost count how many they've been to?)

Planning to buy my membership before rates go up, but after I get paid next. Hopefully this time I'll get a room at the party hotel, even if it involves sleeping on the floor, because previous trips to Chicago have involved entirely too much wandering around while "lost"

Planning to buy my membership before rates go up, but after I get paid next. Hopefully this time I'll get a room at the party hotel, even if it involves sleeping on the floor, because previous trips to Chicago have involved entirely too much wandering around while "lost"

I just bought my memberships for Chicon AND San Antonio! :rolleyes:

Staying at the party hotel is definitely the way to go. I will do that even if I have to pay regular rate. I didn't in Denver and it was a pain.

Archived