Werthead is a character!

oracle86

I completely forgot about this thread. Interesting to see how it's, er, developed since then. Thanks :)

Wasn't Harry the Heir the first Westeros board member to get a character named after him in the books though? Or was that just a coincidence?

I completely forgot about this thread. Interesting to see how it's, er, developed since then. Thanks :)

Wasn't Harry the Heir the first Westeros board member to get a character named after him in the books though? Or was that just a coincidence?

does the board predate Feast?

Wrong way round. IIRC, the boarder who used to use that nick asked GRRM (prior to the release of Feast) if there were any new characters in AFFC that he could use as a board alias. George suggested Harry the Heir. So the boarder was named after the character - but before the book came out.

I should probably let George know that I already have some real-life heraldry (though only through the maternal line, so it wouldn't count in Westeros, but still) and a related motto - "Virtue Thrives Under Oppression". Although something more appropriate might be a white head with a red hat on it and the motto, "Goodkind Sucks!" :)

There was probably someone before me in the first two books, but there is a character named after me in "Storm of Swords." Chapter 45, Arya,

Beric's squire tells her "When we regrouped, Green Gergen helped pull his lordship back onto a horse.”

This nod was due to the incident in November 2000 when I spearheaded the eBay prize along with 40 other people on the old eesite version of the board, sharing the costs of the $1000 winning bid for advance chapters GRRM had put on auction for charity. I don't know if many people still here remember it...

I do! Good to see you around, Greengerg. :)

Werthead,

Harry the Heir actually named himself after the character, IIRC.

I think Greengerg is the first fan of the series to get himself mentioned in its pages.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, I can't believe that some of you guys seem to have missed the Larry, Curly and Moe reference in AGoT (the knights who help Catelyn after she grabs Tyrion). Martin has been doing some pretty blatant nods for a long long long time.

The books are so good and are filled with so many complex little twists that its easy to miss things. The LCM reference is one I missed and I must hv read GOT 20 times over the years. My friend's Dad put various people he knew into his novels--but only those close to them would realize it. Pretty cool.

I certainly don't mind nods and references to anyone, since I can't name all of the previous ones anyway. The few ones I do figure out are cool, although I guess the majority are sort of US American references that are passing way above my head. Some of them I get, most of them I don't.

But since I visited, or indeed still visit, Hot-Pat's webpage from time to time, I wasn't surprised to read what happened to Ser Patrek in A Dance with Dragons. I knew what would happen, bascially, which was a damn shame. It kind of spoiled the WTF moment. (I'm not blaming anyone but myself!)

And since I'm a frequent visitor to Werthead's place in cyber space, I hope I wont figure out what happens to him several years in advance.

But, hey, congrats Mr Werthead.

I really do think I make the perfect new character. I could run into Jon Snow in the Haunted Forest and tell him "I'm YoDaddy"!

Really though, I think it's awesome that George puts in name references in to people he knows. Only dorks like us know the difference anyways!

• 2 weeks later...

Regarding references to other authors:

I for one think it's fantastic that he pays tribute to Robert Jordan not once, but twice in the series. It was Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series that first got me into long, complex fantasy series. The Wheel of Time also showed me the horrors of a story in which death isn't final and doesn't touch the central characters. My enjoyment of ASoIaF is greater because of the misery that is WoT books 6-10. (To be fair, I have read them all and WILL be picking up aMoL the instant it hits shelves.)

Regarding references to fans:

I have always loved coming up with theories and ideas about the hidden nuggets within a story and the foreshadowing of things to come, but I rarely visited sites like this (or Theoryland) and until recently, I had no idea that fans of the series had been referenced in the books. It didn't bother me when I was unaware, and it doesn't bother me now. GRRM is very grateful for his fanbase and expends a fair amount of effort to show that gratitude. As a group, we HAVE influenced him, and as such he has placed certain of us in his works along with the others that have influenced him. I don't really see how a one-line reference to Green Gergen or a minor character named Ser Patrek "cheapens" the experience. If anything, it reminds us that it's a living story- that the parts not yet published are far from set in stone, and I like that.

And on that note, if you're reading this GRRM, I'm a Stark IRL- it would be the easiest thing in the world to add me in as a former Lord of Winterfell or man of the Night's Watch! Just sayin'... ;)

I should probably let George know that I already have some real-life heraldry (though only through the maternal line, so it wouldn't count in Westeros, but still) and a related motto - "Virtue Thrives Under Oppression". Although something more appropriate might be a white head with a red hat on it and the motto, "Goodkind Sucks!" :)

I propose a white rooster head, hackles lifted, glowing red eyes, comb and wattles, on a black field. and for words: "A chicken is not always a chicken"

• 1 month later...

So let me get this straight... werthead is a board member here, and he/she got a mention in the new book? If yes, nicely done! If no, dang-- but it would be cool to me.

Werthead, huh? Wert, as in the stuff from which beer is created? :drool:

• 4 weeks later...

As much as it is fun for Adam ( and certainly I don't begrudge him this), I wish George would stop doing this in general. It affects the integrity of his creation for me.

How would you even know who the characters were based on if GRRM didn't say? Does is affect the integrity of the creation for you that Arya is his wife's favorite character?

Bad news. I second the opinion that the integrity of the world is com

promised. Ser Patrek was a nuisance and now this.. What's next? Ran and Linda, the Dothraki Screamers?

And for the record: the stooges reference was the worst of them all

Why are you still reading is the question?

I can honestly say I had totally forgotten about it until after I read it in the book. So it never bothered me at all.

It doesn't in anyway change how I love the books, knowing he has used the 'NAMES' of people.

There are not suddenly going to be IT Consultants or Twitter obsessives in Westeros lol

Archived