Dragonstone (Spoilers from the end of aFfC)

dentalplan

In one of Cersei's last chapters, Aurane Waters returns from the battle to retake Dragonstone and tells the queen of their success. He also confers news of Loras' terrible injury during the battle. As far as I can tell he's the only source of information we have about either event, and there are some pretty serious reasons to question his loyalty, considering he takes off with all of the new warships after Cersei's downfall.

I've seen lots of people speculate that Loras wasn't really injured, but is it possible that Dragonstone was never really retaken at all? The story seemed a little bit too good to be true, I don't think any specific timeframe was given but Dragonstone seemed to fall pretty much immediately after Loras arrived. Another interesting clue is that in Sansa's last chapter, quite a bit farther into the book Sansa hears a big chunk of news from the outside world, and slipped somewhere in the middle is the tidbit that Storm's End and Dragonstone are both still holding for Stannis. This news could easily be out of date, but it seemed to me like a deliberate clue.

I've asked myself the same question. Also Lord Redwyne supposedly left Dragonstone to defend the Arbor from the Ironborn after Loras took Dragonstone, but Sam did not see any of the Arbor's fleet or King Tommen's until the Cinnamon Wind arrived close to port in Oldtown.

I am interested to see how this develops in ADWD. It is so weird finishing AFFC then going back in time to the conclusion of ASOS to learn about Tyrion, Jon and Dany. I will be happy to get up to date and find out about Cersei, Jaime, Sansa, LF, Loras, Margaery and most of all Brienne.

In one of Cersei's last chapters, Aurane Waters returns from the battle to retake Dragonstone and tells the queen of their success. He also confers news of Loras' terrible injury during the battle. As far as I can tell he's the only source of information we have about either event, and there are some pretty serious reasons to question his loyalty, considering he takes off with all of the new warships after Cersei's downfall.

I've seen lots of people speculate that Loras wasn't really injured, but is it possible that Dragonstone was never really retaken at all? The story seemed a little bit too good to be true, I don't think any specific timeframe was given but Dragonstone seemed to fall pretty much immediately after Loras arrived. Another interesting clue is that in Sansa's last chapter, quite a bit farther into the book Sansa hears a big chunk of news from the outside world, and slipped somewhere in the middle is the tidbit that Storm's End and Dragonstone are both still holding for Stannis. This news could easily be out of date, but it seemed to me like a deliberate clue.

Never thought about it, makes a lot of sense too.

Also, was I the only one laughing when Cersie heard Waters took her fleet?

• 2 weeks later...

I was wondering how GRRM keeps track of where the heck everyone is. I picture him with a big map of westeros with pawns acting as characters so he remembers where he left them. I almost would think you guys have one of those set ups too! :)

I think he briefly mentioned notes. Of course, given how ASOIAF is his magnum opus, I imagine that he has a significant amount memorized.

• 2 weeks later...

I was wondering how GRRM keeps track of where the heck everyone is. I picture him with a big map of westeros with pawns acting as characters so he remembers where he left them. I almost would think you guys have one of those set ups too! :)

He probably has a war room with a big carved map table, like the one on Dragonstone. Well, that's what I would have, anyway!

Well if Dragonstone really is taken, and Loras really is injured, I really hope that Loras can pull out and survive. I think hes kinda a jerk, but it would be interesting to see how he deals with the transition from famous, handsome, heartthrob, to a mutilated man (boiling oil must really suck).

Well if Dragonstone really is taken, and Loras really is injured, I really hope that Loras can pull out and survive. I think hes kinda a jerk, but it would be interesting to see how he deals with the transition from famous, handsome, heartthrob, to a mutilated man (boiling oil must really suck).

Yes, that would be interesting. GRRM hasn't done yet the story of a handsome, wealthy, arrogant, quick-tempered, well-born knight who is a great swordsman and has to deal with mutilation.

• 4 weeks later...

Also, was I the only one laughing when Cersie heard Waters took her fleet?

No you weren't, I was laughing pretty damn hard too. It's just so perfect that she's paranoid of pretty much everyone and then one of the people she thinks she can moderately trust steals all her brand new ships.

This theory has cropped up before (you can search General ASOIAF for 'The Grand Tyrell Conspiracy Theory' with no fear of ADWD spoilers) and the one big problem is that while Aurane is the only person Cersei hears it from there's hundreds and hundreds of sailors and soldiers who have to be somehow kept quiet about it as well.

• 3 months later...

Yes, that would be interesting. GRRM hasn't done yet the story of a handsome, wealthy, arrogant, quick-tempered, well-born knight who is a great swordsman and has to deal with mutilation.

HAHA exactly. But I think it is likely. I see so many parallels between Loras and the old Jaime (who now seems to be a bit more like Tywin :bang: ) and I believe Jaime mentioned it a few times. Jaime also lectures him. I believe Jaime was grooming Loras to be the next Lord Commander and wanted Loras to be better than he had been. Jaime gains a sense of responsibility for the realm ESPECIALLY after Tywin's death.

• 2 years later...

Dragonstone hasn't fallen. I am betting on it. Nobody in Westeros has heard anything yet and Littlefinger would know and tell it to Sansa. This is interesting because of the fact everytime a faction loses their capital they are eliminated from the game. I am building a theory on it actually. Renly is sort of an outlier so my theory as it stands can't be true due to the fact he held Storms End when he died. You could argue that Penrose was the last captian in Renlys army.

Back to Dragonstone- The text seems to support something happened to the fleet and if the timeline with sam was correct it sounds like the redwynes took the lannister men and went straight to the reach. 5/11 300 AC- Redwyne attacks Dragonstone (5/21-300 AC) Samwell arrives in Oldtown. It seems strange that they wouldn't have gotten a raven yet saying that Redwyne fleet took dragonstone.

Archived