Elia & Rhaegar

Stubby

Who did Aerys burn alive before this incident? It seemed to be the tipping point when it became clear to all that he was mad. The Starks have done stupid things that later get them killed. However, Rhaegar should have just expected that Brandon would demand to have Lyanna back. If Brandon expected that Aerys would kill him then he should not have provoked him.

And you know what could have prevented the entire incident... Rhaegar Targaryen not running off with the teenaged daughter of Lord Rickard Stark. There were real world political implications to what he did, which caused death and destruction and led Westros to where it is today. However, he disregarded the real world in favor of an obscure prophecy.

So why was there an AA the first time and if Old Nan's tale is true, a Last Hero? Craster has been sacrificing his sons to the Others for a while now so we can assume that the Others have been around. They've just been biding their time.

That's why Brandon the Builder built a huge magic Wall at Westros' Northern border - to keep out the Others. For that Wall to fall to the Others and the Azor Ahai to be necessary, Westros would have to tear itself apart.

And you know what could have prevented the entire incident... Rhaegar Targaryen not running off with the teenaged daughter of Lord Rickard Stark. There were real world political implications to what he did, which caused death and destruction and led Westros to where it is today. However, he disregarded the real world in favor of an obscure prophecy.

That's why Brandon the Builder built a huge magic Wall at Westros' Northern border - to keep out the Others. For that Wall to fall to the Others and the Azor Ahai to be necessary, Westros would have to tear itself apart.

That very action could be the reason that AA/PWWP was born. AA isn't needed because of Rhaegar Targaryen. The Others predate the Targaryen conquest. & I doubt the War of the 5 Kings was the first time that Westeros was torn apart. There is something specific about the present that is causing the Others to come back.

AA was around before the wall was built.

A great hero, who in the eastern tradition is known as Azor Ahai, led the war against the Others wielding his sword of fire, Lightbringer. Eventually the Others were driven back into the Lands of Always Winter. Brandon Stark, known as Bran the Builder, raised a great Wall of ice, gravel and magic, stretching one hundred leagues from the Gorge to the Shivering Sea to prevent the Others coming again.

All the theories about Rhaegar, Jon, Lyanna, are interesting and can be debated endlessly. But does the history itself really matter in regards to the future? It's become a tale within a tale used by characters from Cersei, to Barristan, to Daeny, etc. to twist and frame it to their own regrets, desires, and other feelings; similar to how fans use it in regards to their theories. Anyone who actually knew anything about the situation is dead and the story remains a mystery to us just as like it does to everyone still alive in the story. Who are people expecting to come out of the woodwork and reveal the big secret? We might get a chapter of Bran greenseeing which might offer up clues but I don't see how even then it would affect the action or plot in anyway.

My feeling is that Rhaegar and Lyanna met each other before the tourney; the whole 'he was struck by her beauty and provoked a war' is too much of a fairy tale that seems like it has been romanticized by other characters in the story who don't know all the facts. We know from Barristan that Rhaegar kept everyone at a distance, thus it is likely we will never know the truth.

Sorry if there is a double post, its a little buggy right now.

My feeling is that Rhaegar and Lyanna met each other before the tourney; the whole 'he was struck by her beauty and provoked a war' is too much of a fairy tale that seems like it has been romanticized by other characters in the story who don't know all the facts. We know from Barristan that Rhaegar kept everyone at a distance, thus it is likely we will never know the truth.

Are you talking about the Knight of Laughing Tree part? Or you think they met even before that?

Are you talking about the Knight of Laughing Tree part? Or you think they met even before that?

Before, maybe even long before. We will never know and it doesn't really matter in my opinion. But from all the descriptions of Rhaegar and his personality, doing what he did for no other reason than love at first seems highly suspicious and gives me a sense there is more to him and Lyanna than just what we have been told by the other characters about what happened at the tournament.

Before, maybe even long before. We will never know and it doesn't really matter in my opinion. But from all the descriptions of Rhaegar and his personality, doing what he did for no other reason than love at first seems highly suspicious and gives me a sense there is more to him and Lyanna than just what we have been told by the other characters about what happened at the tournament.

i got it. I guess you're kinda right but IMO Rhaegar likely did what he did mainly because of the whole propecy thing, not for lust/love at first sight

• 7 months later...

I think that Elia may have either known about crowning Lyanna or even actually suggested it... assuming that Rheagar told her about Lyanna's brave deeds, but neglected to inform her that he'd fallen in love (and in lust) with Lyanna.

I really doubt Elia was the one that suggested that Rhaegar publicly embarrass her in front of hunderds of nobles and offend three of the Great Houses. If Rhaegar wanted to do Lyanna and Elia was fine with it, that'd be one thing. I don't see how him riding straight passed her and name a spoken for woman his Queen of Love and Beauty (not bravery or stuff like that, LOVE), with her fiance sitting next to her was a benefit in Elia's eyes. Seriously. And not seeing Brandon's actions coming is none thing. He could have still put a stop to everything by showing up for the trail. It must have taken a month or more before Rickard and the other fathers and their 200 men showed up at King's Landing after the king summoned them. Rhaegar didn't make an appearance until several months into the war. Not seeing Brandon's reaction coming is the least of Rhaegar's faults.

Let me put it you this way: if it turns out that you and SFDanny are right about Brandon knowing full well it was consensual, I'm going to be forced to think he was kind of an idiot.

He strangled himself knowing full well that Aerys would never allow him to reach his sword.

I've always been of the opinion that Brandon was an idiot.

• 10 months later...

honestly rhaegar deserved that war hammer to the chest for being so stupid, but bradon should have known better why not ride to winterfell tell his dad to call the banners or something don't rise to KL with your own crew and demand a member or the royal family to die come on.

I feel for elia but i do wonder if she loved rhaegar as well we are given hints that it was a mutal thing with both like ned and cat but unlike them it didn't develop into love. Heck elia could have had someone she liked as well.

Archived