Game of Thrones and True Blood Compared

Westeros

The main difference between the two series is i...

..That one is good and the other is one of the worst things on television beaten only by the likes of Jersey Shore. This show should be compared to shows that are on par, true blood doesn't warrant a comparison just cause they have the book background in common. Its like apples to oranges, GOT should be compared to shows like The Wire or Sopranos or something that has equally good scripting and acting.

I enjoyed True Blood as a fun, twisted adult fairy tale - for approximately 3 seasons.. in season 3 there was already some noticable decline.... but afterwards.. oh my god - it really turned into some sexed-up equivalent of Twilight, oh wait, that's exactly what the source novel was - and I enjoyed True Blood exactly as I thought it did NOT take the source material seriously.

With GOT it is different - books are really well written - and I am definitively not a big fan of Fantasy as a genre. the Show is good, probably one of the best shows currently running. This does not mean that it's perfect and there are many cases when I wish they kept closer to the books - not because I am a gook purist but because sometimes (just sometimes) their decisions do look like "dumbing things down".

As to Soprano's comparisons - with all the apologies - I do find Sopranois really good - but I do not get the obsessive admiration and appraisal it gets - to me it is completely comparable to GoT, Breaking Bad or Mad Men - i.e. they are all really good TV shows with good writing and story elevating them far above the usual TV products. But of course none of them are, or supposed to be Bergman or Antonioni.

well as others have said i cant believe this is a topic there certainly is no comparison.
listen ill admit i watch tb but its not a favarite show for me in anyway plus my wife likes it.
simply put tb is days of our lives with supernatural beings and since its on hbo nudity thats it.
imo with out the nudity and sex the ratings wouldnt even be what they are now.

also the show dosent even have the balls to kill of a major player.
i always told my wife and my oldest sons finecee that you will never see bill sookie or eric be killed off so dont worry as sometimes they would get alittle crazy one of those were going to be killed.
i even offered a $50 bet with my best friends wife that eric surly would be alive for the finale season
she wouldnt take me up on it.

tb has so many plot holes its crazy there own fiction just kills me.
anyone remember when jess 1st gets turned? well shes a virgin then when she finally has sex with hoyt its so painful shes mad as hell cuz she was turned as a virgin so everytime will be like the 1st and just as painful her words not making this up.
well i guess were just supposed to forget about that as shes sure fine with sex now.

another example 2 season build up of lilth to save vampire kind in short she endows bill with her powers.
well all she did was save the small group that was being held in that prison camp type thing.
thats saving her whole race?

idk the writing on that show just sux and your left scracting your head to try to make sense of there fiction.

my sons girl wont even give GOT or BB a chance but loves tb. its simply not a better show and that not even an opinion its fact.
now you can say that you like it better or even that its your favarte show and thats an opinion.

but better show means better acting better writers and scrips and constantly good episodes good production and editing sorry but it has none of these.

i could go but this has turned into a rant im sorry but i cant stand it when people compare these shows.

oh i do take back 1 thing.
about not having the balls to kill off a major player.
since this is the last season all bets are off and they my kill off some of the important players.

but its only bcuz its the finale season.

and i hope they do kill most of them.

I love both GoT and TB, both for (obviously) very different reasons.

But I always have to giggle at the complete 180 shift that happens when watching the season premier of TB only a week after the season finale of GoT :leer:

Game of Thrones = a perfectly cooked filet mignon at a 5 star restaurant

True Blood = bubble gum with sprinkles on top

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Haha, did someone seriously make this comparison? :lol:

Like someone else said, GoT belongs with shows of a much higher calibre, like BB, The Sopranos, The Wire, etc.

I think the thread started in 2012 when this conversation might have had legs...now True Blood is a joke, whilst GoT has become HBOs most captivating show since The Wire or Sopranos

tb has so many plot holes its crazy there own fiction just kills me.

anyone remember when jess 1st gets turned? well shes a virgin then when she finally has sex with hoyt its so painful shes mad as hell cuz she was turned as a virgin so everytime will be like the 1st and just as painful her words not making this up.

well i guess were just supposed to forget about that as shes sure fine with sex now.

I agree with all you say but about Jess and her virginity, you can only assume she's comfortable with her issue now because it was something she couldn't change and she had to learn to live with it and with that pain.That's how I justified the fact that they never brought the issue up again.

• 4 weeks later...

Regardless of whether the source material is comparable, I do think that it's interesting to compare the two TV series as adaptations. I'm certainly noticing a theme in the above posts - excellent starts to the series, but dwindling quality as time goes on. I wonder if that's the butterfly effect at work in both shows?

I haven't read any of the TB novels, but from what I have read and heard about them, the show is drastically different in its later seasons and only gets further from the source the longer it goes on.

Regardless of whether the source material is comparable, I do think that it's interesting to compare the two TV series as adaptations. I'm certainly noticing a theme in the above posts - excellent starts to the series, but dwindling quality as time goes on. I wonder if that's the butterfly effect at work in both shows?

I haven't read any of the TB novels, but from what I have read and heard about them, the show is drastically different in its later seasons and only gets further from the source the longer it goes on.

I don't think that GoT has had a dwindling quality as time goes on. Season 4 was better than seasons 2 and 3, and season 2 was the worst. Besides, season 1 also has its issues. The sexposition and brothel scenes were less annoying and ridiculous this season than in the previous seasons, and the original material was mostly better than in previous two seasons, especially season 2.

I don't think that GoT has had a dwindling quality as time goes on. Season 4 was better than seasons 2 and 3, and season 2 was the worst. Besides, season 1 also has its issues. The sexposition and brothel scenes were less annoying and ridiculous this season than in the previous seasons, and the original material was mostly better than in previous two seasons, especially season 2.

They need less Skin to keep an audience now.

Archived