Just started GOT

lady-avalon

I started reading Game of Thrones yesterday and I'm 25 pages into it and loving it already! I'm yet to watch the show but thought I'd sign up to this forum because I get the feeling I'm going to like it.

So far I really like the characters, although we don't know a lot about them in the first 25 pages, especially Jon Snow (who seems to be a favourite among fans).

Welcome to the boards, I know you will enjoy the books.

Be very careful about what you read online especially here. Its just so easy to get spoiled in a major way.

I would actually reconmend you stay away from this board until you have read them. Just reading thread titles can spoil you.

Of course I know we would love it if you wanted to bookmark this thread and keep us updated of your ongoing impressions.

Be very careful about what you read online especially here. Its just so easy to get spoiled in a major way.

I would actually reconmend you stay away from this board until you have read them. Just reading thread titles can spoil you.

Of course I know we would love it if you wanted to bookmark this thread and keep us updated of your ongoing impressions.

Thanks for the advice. I might bookmark this thread and keep it updated, always a good way to meet new people.

I started 3 weeks ago and finished it 2 days ago.

Jon Snow is indeed badass.

I'm hoping it won't take me too long to read through it. I'm a fairly quick reader so *fingers crossed*

I really hope that you enjoy it :)

Keeping in mind though, that the impressions of certain characters you meet in GoT may well change by the second, or subsequent books.

I'm kinda green to the series myself. I'm in the middle of ASoS (3rd book), but it's the first time I've read through the saga. Definitely would love to hear other people's thoughts who haven't been reading these books for years, as they might be on par with mine own. Don't get me wrong, I do like conversation with a "veteran", but hearing all sorts of perspectives is what's best, new or old.

I've read up to about page 94 today and I'm loving it so much, I really like GRRM's writing style. I've seen people don't like the way he changes POV so often but I've read many books like that so I'm very much used to the changes and enjoy it a fair bit.

So far I'm really loving the Starks and Jon Snow, Arya is easily one of my favourite characters. I also really like Dany.

I have watched 5 episodes of the TV show today and so part of the book has been spoiled for me but I don't mind because I still find reading far more pleasurable than watching a TV show.

I'm hoping to put a huge dent in the book tomorrow as I'm home all day and can spend the entire day reading :)

I've read up to about page 94 today and I'm loving it so much, I really like GRRM's writing style. I've seen people don't like the way he changes POV so often but I've read many books like that so I'm very much used to the changes and enjoy it a fair bit.

So far I'm really loving the Starks and Jon Snow, Arya is easily one of my favourite characters. I also really like Dany.

I have watched 5 episodes of the TV show today and so part of the book has been spoiled for me but I don't mind because I still find reading far more pleasurable than watching a TV show.

I'm hoping to put a huge dent in the book tomorrow as I'm home all day and can spend the entire day reading :)

Arya is also one of my favorites (if not my favorite)! I find it really difficult after finishing her POVs to not flip ahead to try and find (and skim) her next chapter. :)

I have a friend who had also started reading recently, and he had been trying to juggle how far he can go in the TV series before he starts spoiling where he is in the book. Ultimately, I think his decision (and advice to others just starting) ended up being read the whole book first and then follow it up by watching the series (with a non-reader if possible, to enjoy their reactions!).

Arya is also one of my favorites (if not my favorite)! I find it really difficult after finishing her POVs to not flip ahead to try and find (and skim) her next chapter. :)

I have a friend who had also started reading recently, and he had been trying to juggle how far he can go in the TV series before he starts spoiling where he is in the book. Ultimately, I think his decision (and advice to others just starting) ended up being read the whole book first and then follow it up by watching the series (with a non-reader if possible, to enjoy their reactions!).

I'm hoping to read the book quick enough now to finish it before I continue watching the series. I'm watching it with my Dad so we only watch about an episode a day (although I did my little skip ahead and watched 5 episodes) so I should be able to finish the book before I get completely spoiled by the show. My Dad isn't reading the book so it was fun when we watched the first two episodes together to see his reactions to that.

• 3 weeks later...

I was never a big fantasy fan before I started reading ASOIAF, but GRRM definitely converted me. My favorite genre was always historical fiction, and even though ASOIAF is fantasy, it fits into the history genre pretty neatly as well. It's well written, well thought out, and extremely engaging. It's the only book, or series of books, that has left me contemplating it years after reading. Truly, it's a modern masterpiece. If you like AGoT, you'll love everything else. It only gets better.

Good plan and good advice. I have noticed quite a few spoilers posted without warning. Some of the spoilers on this forum, for instance, contain spoilers from subsequent books in the series.

• 3 weeks later...

QFT.

Excellent dedication, Ser.

• 2 months later...

I started about a month ago (during school - which I hope better explains why I'm still not done -.- teachers used to get onto me about reading during class, it was awesome)

Anyway, I'm in the middle of the book, and I LOVE it. GRRM writes in a different style from most of the authors I've read, and I love how his style changes a bit from, say, Arya's POV (more childlike) to Tyrion's POV (dry and very much adult)

Is the show worth watching? I don't know if I'll start now (my parents were against me reading the books in the first place, so they'd definitely flip out if I told them I wanted to watch the show) but I would like to.

• 4 weeks later...

I saw this and was happy there was a place on here for new readers, even though I've read them all. My husband is just starting them, and we actually decided to do a podcast where we talk each chapter over as we go along, with NO spoilers. I approach it as if I'm just reading for the first time, too. It's a lot of fun to reread.

Jon Snow is indeed badass.

Alright so back in September I had finished GoT, well now in the 26th of January, I finished ADWD, now I am sitting here waiting and waiting for Martin to release the next book

Archived