The Latest Upgrade

Quoth

OK, I know this will take getting used to. No need to panic. Except that the board is no longer Firefox friendly, apparently. The log in area (assuming is is relatively in the same place as before), in addition to other features I suppose, are "off screen" in Firefox and there's no scroll bar to reach it. :( Had to log in using the mobile skin. :P And no one's Avs are visible.

Anyone else having any difficulties? Or is it just lil' ol' me?

We're working on all that, yeah. We're aware of the issue with the log-in being a bit off to the right. It may take awhile to sort it all out, as there have been radical changes... but we're definitely working on it!

I haven't got the 'reply' options on individual posts yet (maybe I should just use 'quote'? ETA: Yes :blushing: ), but things are clearly in transition so I'm just going to wait as things are gradually sorted out and I work out where things are again :) Thanks ever so much to Ran and Linda for doing these updates and all the work to get us resettled in after the redecorating.

For anyone interested, I found a "backdoor" way to log in as that portion of the board is "off screen" for me. Post without logging in. It returns an "error screen" that says (duh) you're not logged in and gives a link to do so. To log out, I have to close Firefox and have CCleaner wipe away the log in. Which is a little squicky. But, I can deal for now until, as Soph says, things shake out.

Also as Soph said, thanks for all the work, youse guys! :)

New things to note:

Mountain Goat [oops - just realised Ran announced this too] pointed out you can now see who 'liked' posts. I quite like it actually (good to know who your allies/supporters/fans are!), but it might cause some retrospective embarassment as people have been using it under the assumption of anonymity.

You get alerted if there are new replies which have appeared while you are typing, and it gives you the option to look at them. Very neat.

I just figured out that scaling the text-size down with the trackpad solves the

rightmost-bit-of-screen-missing problem. In case anyone else has that problem.

Though now typing a reply I am finding a new problem, in that the text does not wrap,

it just keeps going to the right and pushing the left side of the screen out of sight. Huh.

so, now, when we click on a topic, there's no way to get the most recent unread post? EDIT: Figured this out (just click the bubble on the far left)

And, we can't have custom avatars?

This sucks, why was it done?

so, now, when we click on a topic, there's no way to get the most recent unread post?

And, we can't have custom avatars?

This sucks, why was it done?

You can get the most recent unread post for a topic - just click on the blue dot on the left.

You can get custom avatars but you have to upload them through Gravatar*. I don't know why Invision Powerboard have done this but I guess they had some reason (tighter controls probably - for security, but it could be for efficiency savings, or a change in the way people are using the web). I don't like it either, but I doubt Ran has a choice - the IPB updates have to be done for security reasons (keeping abreast of latest hacking techniques) and they come with a whole package of other changes which IPB make alongside for reasons of their own (customer demand etc.).

* and we have to wait a bit as Ran has disabled profiles due to strain on the server just now, but that should be temporary

Thanks, yer Majesty. ;) Others have noticed the right of the page being cut off, but others using FF say no problem. Internet WeirdnessTM, perhaps?

Have you tried maximising the window?

One minor issue is that the 'Mark forum as read' button doesn't work properly. It seems to work when you click it, but if you leave the forum to return later, all the threads you've marked as read, but haven't actually read, are marked as unread.

I've just noticed that as well. I admit to being stumped by this one. A quick fix would be to go to the app store and look up Invision -- IPB has an official app for use with its forums. Set up the forum with it and you should be able to browse okay (change to the mobile theme for now -- using Change Theme, not Use Mobile Version).

The problem that I'm seeing is that Safari usually resizes fonts and page elements to fit into the smaller screen... but for some reason it's not doing so on our forum, and I'm not sure why that is.

If anyone is an experienced web designer with experience with mobile web design, advice would be appreciated. I don't have the foggiest as to where to start figuring this problem out.

Regarding the question of Mark Forum as Read, that function apparently does not work properly when profiles are not available. Unfortunately, everyone rushing into their profiles tryin to update their avatars kills the forum dead, so I'm back to having to shut it off for long stretches.

Archived