Bran In The Nightfort

Cuthbert Allgood

Sulking after Red Wedding, thinking I will never enjoy this book again, this chapter blew my mind suddenly. What a great chapter, more like a short horror story. It somehow remiided me Stephen King's It (the house on Neibolt Street) and the Overlook hotel in The Shining. The writing was perfect and the plot twist of Sam / Bran meeting was awsome and unexpected for me - I'm the kind of reader writers like, naive to get tricked easily. Theat meeting made me think If G.R.R Martin manages to pull off making all different storyline come together in the end of saga, this will be the greatest thing ever.

Little stories inside the chapters from old times were creepy, and the sentinels buried in Ice gave me the chills literally.

A bit confused about Coldhands, is that an agent of Three Eyed Crow? Or is he the TEC himself? Hope I will find out before the book is over.

wasnt happy after RW either.. yeah them stories were creepy couldnt imagine sleeping there after that but at least got to see some history of the wall and westeros especially the stark part and the rat cook part..

do you think its just coincidence that them stories were told after the wedding? because the rat cook got turned into a rat from violating guest right which is the same thine the freys did

Sulking after Red Wedding, thinking I will never enjoy this book again, this chapter blew my mind suddenly. What a great chapter, more like a short horror story. It somehow remiided me Stephen King's It (the house on Neibolt Street) and the Overlook hotel in The Shining. The writing was perfect and the plot twist of Sam / Bran meeting was awsome and unexpected for me - I'm the kind of reader writers like, naive to get tricked easily. Theat meeting made me think If G.R.R Martin manages to pull off making all different storyline come together in the end of saga, this will be the greatest thing ever.

Little stories inside the chapters from old times were creepy, and the sentinels buried in Ice gave me the chills literally.

Tell me about it. It's my favorite Bran chapter in ASoS. I have to agree with you that that single chapter is like reading a Stephen King novel. I was almost afraid to turn the pages and a boogeyman literally jumping out of the book! lol jk! But seriously, I think the key was in Bran's innocence which gave the scary stories about the Rat Cook etc, a legit scare. Had it been told through, let's say, Arya's perspective, it will be heart-pounding but not as scary.

wasnt happy after RW either.. yeah them stories were creepy couldnt imagine sleeping there after that but at least got to see some history of the wall and westeros especially the stark part and the rat cook part..

do you think its just coincidence that them stories were told after the wedding? because the rat cook got turned into a rat from violating guest right which is the same thine the freys did

It's not a coincidence. I think GRRM has placed it strategically to tell us that guest rights violation will not go unpunished. The Rat Cook's story is a foreshadowing of what awaits those godawful Freys, see that it don't.

By setting a little horror tale in the Nightfort, you have a much deeper understanding (shudders) of what the place is when another character mentions it late in the book.

I'm sure there will be substantial time spent in Stannis' court at the Nightfort (it rhymes!) since the place has been so memorably established. I don't want to think of what Melisandre will be up to running around there.

A bit confused about Coldhands, is that an agent of Three Eyed Crow? Or is he the TEC himself? Hope I will find out before the book is over.

Coldhands is not the Three Eyed Crow. He is leading Bran to the Three Eyed Crow, however.

The RW was certainly a painful chapter to read. But it gave the story a lot of weight - and leaves room for much righteous vengeance to be brought upon the Freys. I hope the line of Freys is extinguished, and that Lord Walder Frey gets fed to the wolves, but not before he witnesses each and every one of his sons/grandsons/heir die. Then, The Twins should go to a loyal Knight who has served the North and Riverlands well.

I loved this chapter too, just finished reading it. I'm a big Stephen King fan and you're right, it does seem like something he could have written.

I especially liked the meeting between Sam and Bran when Sam realizes who he is and when he tells Bran "Jon Snow is my brother too".

Archived