What Movie Did You Watch Recently?

SillentRegrets

I watched 5 films at Sundance last week (being a Utah local has its perks!)

"Middle of Nowhere" A so-so drama about a woman who drops out of medical school to better support her imprisoned husband

"Save the Date" Hilarious female-led comedy. I hope this gets distributed.

As always the documentaries are Sundance's strong point. I highly recommend checking out all of these, in theaters if possible but definitely on Netflix.

"House I live In" explores the "War on Drugs" touches on all points made by boarders in the illegal drugs thread, so I felt smugly pre-informed :) This also won the Documentary Grand Jury Prize, so I'm sure it will get picked up.

"Atomic States of America" Completely revised my opinion of nuclear power. Did you know that industry pretty much dictates to the Nuclear Regulatory Commission, and not the other way?

"Finding North" Absolutely amazing doc. about hunger in America. Should be required viewing for every politician, welfare-reform advocate, and person who thinks poor obese people "just need to make better choices" My husband and I both think this one should have won the Documentary award.

snow "cultured" leo

Bf didn't want to see The Grey, so ended up watching The Descendants instead. I actually really enjoyed it, although I felt that it dragged a little long. Kinda made me lose a little more of my faith in humanity in some ways and I cried quite a bit leaving the theater, but I'm a crier so that's not particularly noteworthy.

Last night caught Mastermind on demand. Had wanted to see it a while ago and never gotten around to it. It was pretty good, I thought it had a nice balance between humor and storytelling that was predictable but still entertaining. Lots of big name actors in it too, had fun guessing who all the voices were. I didn't figure out Metro Man was Brad Pitt until almost the very end. :)

I finally popped in Cowboys and Aliens, and really enjoyed it. Yes, it was popcorn fare, but it seems like they finally found a role for Harrison Ford to play that fits his personality. :lol: "Git off my lawn, you damn kids!" Daniel Craig did a fine job as the man without memories. The more I see of Favreu's (sp?) directing, the more I like it. I would've never guessed when seeing him in various films in the 90s that he'd be so good behind the camera. I feel the same kind of amazement with Ben Afleck's films.

Apollo 18 just came in from my Netflix queue. I'll be seeing it later this week.

ETA: I also watched Real Steel the other day and enjoyed it much more than I thought I would. Evangeline Lilly was flat, but Hugh Jackman and the kid who played his son both played their characters remarkably well. The movie pulled a Spielberg by having it seem to be about fighting robots, but really about the relationship between father and son, and it worked. And the robot fights were fun too.

Archived