What Movie Did You Watch Recently?

SillentRegrets

Deckard has a dream about a unicorn earlier in the film, so the origami one implies that the other cop knew what he was dreaming about, in much the same way that Deckard knew about Rachel's memories...

Wow. That adds another bit of awesomeness. I didn't remember the dream earlier in the movie as I often don't pay as much attention to them as I should in literature either.

Yeah, Felice is right. I think Ridley Scott shoot that scene to imply Deckard might be an android himself. It's open and ongoing debate. Nowadays movies tend to self-explanatory and conclusive. People blame studios for spoon-feeding. Early films were thought provoking and audience would start thinking as they left theater.

Inception? But as a trend you are right.

I know The Blind Side isn't an exact portrayal, but it was a good watch.

Especially considering I thought the book was unfilmable. The book parallels Michael's story with the developments in football that led to him being a prototypical left tackle and thus a unique value. Fantastically done. I figured I would hate the movie, knowing they would cut all that out but I didn't. Fantastic job by the actor that played Oher.

I went and saw Contagion at a pre-screening last night.

It was . . . different. Honestly, it's not like any other movie I've seen in a while. There are characters, but they aren't really the point or focus of the story. The story is "how would a bad world-wide flu pandemic realistically occur, and how would the US government respond to it?". The characters just exist to illustrate several "human side" aspects of it, such as the CDC people involved in the response, the ordinary guy whose wife was the index case (Matt Damon) trying to survive in the mess, and so forth.

If you want to see how a very nasty global flu outbreak would occur (as well as the US government response), watch this movie. They obviously went to great pains in order to achieve accuracy (the wiki article for the movie mentions that they got help from the Center for Disease Control, and I can believe it). I personally found it incredibly fascinating - I'm going to go see it again when it comes out to everyone in theaters.

Saw this Friday. I liked it, but I think that the flat characters were if anything a major weakness of the movie. I appreciated that they were going for something understated and not overly melodramatic, but it would have been better had they been more memorable. Still good though - though I was disappointed by the virus itself. They never really clarified what it was doing or how it managed to be so simultaneously virulent, transmissible, and lethal.

Which version of the film did you watch? I think the original release (the one with Deckard narrating all the way through) had the unicorn dream cut out.

No, after you mentioned it I seem to recall him having some dream with a galloping white unicorn. Was it when he got drunk? Deckard was not narrating the one I watched. Their are multiple versions? Is one of them better? I just watched whichever one I DVR'ed off scifi channel.

Their are multiple versions? Is one of them better? I just watched whichever one I DVR'ed off scifi channel.

Yes, several versions, but the narrated one is the only one to avoid; the studio made them add the voiceover and tack on a happy ending for the original release. I haven't seen the "final cut" yet, but I understand it's not massively different from the "director's cut".

No, after you mentioned it I seem to recall him having some dream with a galloping white unicorn. Was it when he got drunk? Deckard was not narrating the one I watched. Their are multiple versions? Is one of them better? I just watched whichever one I DVR'ed off scifi channel.

If you get the DVD boxset then you get a possibly excessive 5 different versions of the film.

Yes, several versions, but the narrated one is the only one to avoid; the studio made them add the voiceover and tack on a happy ending for the original release. I haven't seen the "final cut" yet, but I understand it's not massively different from the "director's cut".

There aren't any really significant differences between the Final Cut and the Director's Cut, it mostly just fixes up some small mistakes. I'll probably end up watching the original version of the film some day out of curiosity, although from what I've seen on it on the DVD special features I think both the narration and the original ending were mistakes. The original ending doesn't really seem to match the rest of the film at all.

Just saw Thor and First Class.

Not a huge Thor comics fan, so any changes to canon/history didn't have an impact on me. Was a fun movie, basically just setting up his inclusion in Avengers. Really did like Heimdall even though he was a main character.

First Class - everything I'd heard was true. Liked the characters they used, wasn't bothered by any revised history, thought the little cameos they did were nice and didn't detract. two thumbs up. Was kinda funny when my wife turned and asked about Magneto and Shaw's sub when Xavier stepped in.

The Good, the Bad, the Weird

It's a hyper-violent, incredibly stylized Korean remake of The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly that's set in 1930s Japanese-occupied Manchuria. Despite what I thought was a decently large plot hole in the final third of the movie I really liked it a lot. Its not remotely realistic, all 3 of the titled characters are basically superhuman, but its a lot of fun. After all a movie that features a scene where a single man on horseback ends up taking on and basically defeating an entire Imperial Japanese cavalry company is obviously not trying to be serious.

I apparently saw the Korean version which has a significantly different (and longer) ending then the International version. However apparently the International version's ending is actually the one that the director had wanted.

I saw "Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy" yesterday. It was good, well-acted (particularly by Oldman and Cumberbatch) and well-directed although I think I'd have to watch it again to catch every plot point in it - for example, there's a scene where Smiley repeatedly listens to a tape and then seems to have found a significant clue but I think I missed what its significance was. It was a bit frustrating sometimes in terms of characterisation, it's difficult to really get much of a feel for how many of the characters really think (particularly Tinker, Tailor etc.) but I guess that's inevitable for this type of story.

I watched this years ago , but recently saw it again on HBO not too long ago. Don King: Only in America, i love this movie Ving Rhames is amazing as Don King. the only weird thing is seeing the son from Family Matters as Muhammad Ali, he does a good job just always remember him from Family Matters.

Don King: Only in America

Just saw Drive with Ryan Gosling last night. I really, really liked this movie, though the plot is far from mindblowing and the characters were, to put it kindly, minimalist.

A really well done exercise in film noir style and acting. Gosling and Carey Mulligan do an enormous amount of acting just with their eyes and facial expressions.

Don't go into this movie expecting an action film or spectacular driving sequences. This film builds suspense with shots so still they could be photographs, but it works. Go see it if you are into stylish noir - you'll probably like it as much as I did.

If you get the DVD boxset then you get a possibly excessive 5 different versions of the film.

There aren't any really significant differences between the Final Cut and the Director's Cut, it mostly just fixes up some small mistakes. I'll probably end up watching the original version of the film some day out of curiosity, although from what I've seen on it on the DVD special features I think both the narration and the original ending were mistakes. The original ending doesn't really seem to match the rest of the film at all.

That's partly because the ending with the car driving off in the distance is actually from The Shining Ibelieve :P

I saw "Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy" yesterday. It was good, well-acted (particularly by Oldman and Cumberbatch) and well-directed although I think I'd have to watch it again to catch every plot point in it - for example, there's a scene where Smiley repeatedly listens to a tape and then seems to have found a significant clue but I think I missed what its significance was. It was a bit frustrating sometimes in terms of characterisation, it's difficult to really get much of a feel for how many of the characters really think (particularly Tinker, Tailor etc.) but I guess that's inevitable for this type of story.

I saw the trailer for this the other night when I saw 'Warrior', it looks really good. Can't wait to see it. Unfortunately it doesn't come out in the US until December I think so I've got a while to wait :\

Warrior was pretty good I though, Tom Hardy and Nick Nolte both do great jobs in their roles as well as the guy who played Hardy's brother whose name I cannot recall. I was expecting some shitty MMA action movie (A la 'Never Back Down') but I was pleasantly surprised. The majority of the film is spent exploring the character of the two brothers and their motives for entering the tournament.

By the time the climactic fight roles around I couldn't decide which of them I wanted to win, and that never happens in boxing/MMA type movies. Just the fact that there was no clear 'hero' between the two deserves merit I think.

Solid film, definitely worth watching.

I'll probably go see 'Drive' sometime this week, been hearing nothing but good things about it.

I saw The Debt last night, and was pleasantly surprised. It's very enjoyable, with a bit of a twist that is hinted at earlier on (although I think the ending was a bit too convenient).

The movie has two plot-lines interposed, one of them in 1967, the other in 1997. In 1967, the story is about a woman working with two men from Mossad to grab a particularly unpleasant ex-Nazi hiding in East Berlin to take to Israel to stand trial. The 1997 storyline has her (played by Helen Mirren) as a hero figure dealing with life after what happened in East Berlin 30 years before.

A couple of years ago i watched a great movie i hadn't watched since then, until earlier today when a friend dropped by with a copy. The movie is called

, great movie i linked the name to a youtube trailer. Don't worry the movie is english subtitled.

Archived