Goodkind 51: Kahl Scratch Fever

Myshkin

So, am I reading this right that he's gone with self-publishing so he can keep complete control? Are we to infer from that that TOR has kept his tairyness down all these years? Apparently a thing has risen up in him since Law of Nines.

But with his ego I suppose we should be glad he didn't start talking about refusing to give up a seat on a bus.

Or kill someone for choosing death. [...]

We should be glad he doesn't want to go into active politics...

Although the kind of stuff he'd do is probably illegal in most civilised countries

I don't know, he such an obvious and colossal delusional blowhard that it would be fun to see him get into politics...I doubt he'd do any better than Sharron Angle or Christine O'Donnell.

I don't know, he such an obvious and colossal delusional blowhard that it would be fun to see him get into politics...I doubt he'd do any better than Sharron Angle or Christine O'Donnell.

We have a very fitting political party for him here in Luxembourg. (Un)fortunately, their website doesn't come in English. There's a Wikipedia page though. They're called ADR, which translates to Alternative Demoncratic Reform Party. They alone know what that is supposed to mean. In the last 20 years they've migrated from middle-left and supporting the retired to hardcore conservatives bordering on fascism. They have also joined forces with the party for men's rights (as in the male of the species, not humans), so they now have applied sexism on their agenda as well. Recently, their youth section and most of the women just left...

Of course, they have a massively inflated opinion of themselves and their political influence. Nobody takes them seriously though, and they're the favourite prey for our satirical press.

Tairy would fit right in. I'm sure they'd give him honorary membership. They're all about important human themes too, after all.

Oh my. He gave up a "substantial advance" so that he could... pocket more percentage from ebook sales? He's just like a freedom fighter! And those ev0l capitalists at Tor who wanted to leech off his earnings for merely printing and promoting his craptacular Ayn Rand fanfic? They're basically Jagang with more lawyers. I do hope he writes one of their editors in as a bad guy.

I'd say I was astonished at the arrogance of the man, but we've all been here far too long for that.

Also, his argument is b*llocks (to save some people's work filters). If he's willing to do the publicity, promotion etc., printing several thousand paperbacks is a doddle (and cheaper than you'd think), and the distribution is far from impossible. Unless he actually means, by "The publishing industry got together and colluded to restrict authors from breaking apart books by format!", that bookshops are unwilling to stock self-published titles due to their buying methods... which is a perfectly valid argument for any writer other than one who sells millions. Would it still be valid for a millions-seller? Is it still valid in the era of Amazon? I really doubt it. I think he could do a MMPB edition if he wanted to.

I mean, I know he's a dick and a bad writer, but this is dishonest.

But even if the publishers have dropped him (and like others present I took him to be a cash cow), that isn't a reason for him not to self-publish a paperback edition of this latest turd work of genius. Not wanting to do so is the only reason. I can appreciate it as a reason, but. Lies!

Using lulu.com is choosing death! Why should they get to profit from Tairy's hard work?

:dunno: I've bought paperback versions of self-published books before. Maybe he put in something borderline-libellous (Evil Emperor Arack Bobama?) and Tor wouldn't take the book till he edited it out? The statue comparison does sound like there was more going on than just a dispute over formats. OTOH, expecting rationality from this guy is only for the foolish. I'm sure there's a Wizard's Rule about that somewhere.

Using lulu.com is choosing death! Why should they get to profit from Tairy's hard work?

Pah. Lulu. Amateurism. :P

Maybe he put in something borderline-libellous (Evil Emperor Arack Bobama?) and Tor wouldn't take the book till he edited it out? The statue comparison does sound like there was more going on than just a dispute over formats.

...now this makes sense. I suddenly want this to be available immediately just so we can see if there is anything in there like that. Certainly the number of reasons why he would be dropped like this in a period when publishers surely want a guaranteed seller on tap is small. (Questionable pictures involving goats?)

OTOH, expecting rationality from this guy is only for the foolish. I'm sure there's a Wizard's Rule about that somewhere.

"It's the Twelfth and most important, yet up until now never heard of Wizard's Rule: Never Allow Rationality To Thwart Your Important Human Themes. Your Important Human Themes are never wrong. Alter your perception of reality to make it fit if you have to, but never doubt the Important Human Themes."

But even if the publishers have dropped him (and like others present I took him to be a cash cow), that isn't a reason for him not to self-publish a paperback edition of this latest turd work of genius. Not wanting to do so is the only reason. I can appreciate it as a reason, but. Lies!

Whats his interest in not offering a physical copy of the book? (just musing out loud...) I kind of assumed it was purely profits - the printing and distribution of paper books would cut into the margins at least a bit more than ebook...I guessed that was the motivation as well. (unless theres really something in there where he crossed the line and TOR simply refuse to print)

The story, at face value, makes no sense. Is he really claiming that the refusal to let him sell his own ebooks is some kind of violation of artistic or individualistic principles? Maybe it's some bizarre Objectivist thing where he believes that an ebook is a pure form of individual creation, requiring no input from editors or proofreaders or typesetters or printers or distributors or publicists, so it's morally wrong to sign away any income from such a thing, so suck it Tor! Weep at this statue!

Or maybe Law of Nines really did do that badly. :dunno:

Archived