[twow Spoilers] Arianne II, Part 2

Angalin

People have speculated when this was read in the past that the descriptions of Elia Sand's character were meant to foreshadow some sort of impulsive tryst with fAegon, which, having read it, I could certainly see.

Pleasant enough chapter, though it's not going to assuage the concerns of many people that the plot is moving too slowly.

Liked it, feels good to FINALLY read some new chapter. Makes the wait for the release a lil less annoying.

I join those voices thinking that Rowan probably joined GC. He was in a bad position with SE before him and GC advancing from behind. I would like to know what ruse JonCon used to conquer SE.

And ya, the battle with Tyrrell army is going to be interesting. GC should win, else both Dorne and GC story lines - which have been build up for way to long - would remain completely irrelevant. Probably Varis is able to supply a lot of intel for the GC to outsmart whoever is leading the Tyrrell army.

So after battle of Meereen and battle of Ice this is a third rather big battle what should be still the start of TWOW.

2 hours ago, Constantinople said:

I thought quite the opposite actually: Arianne looks at a Valyrian featured individual and he makes her flesh crawl. Not a good start to any relationship with Aegon, I don't think. 

Did anybody else get a bit of a CoK Arya chapters vibe from this sample? The fleeing peasants in the green fields, the dripping forests, the war that is mostly bypassing the lords but being felt strongly by the lower classes who have thus far been untouched.

Sadly, yes.  We had a whole paragraph on fauna.  Fortunately we didn't have paragraphs on a meal, so small mercies for that.  Will Arianne chapters akin to those of AFFC's Brienne & to a lesser extent Jaime?  We can hope not but on this evidence it seems very likely. 

Reminds me of the old Del Amitri song, "And nothing ever happens, nothing happens at all".

On 7/5/2016 at 10:39 PM, Lost Melnibonean said:

Reading the transcription of Arianne II, Winds, it occurs to me that Lysono Maar is a descendant of Daemon Blackfyre. The lilac eyes and the white gold hair are more common features in Lys, but still, those are Targaryen features.

You could be right, but I think he's just who he claims to be. Also, Targaryens are silver blonde, not white blonde.

Although, is curious that twice his strange appearance is mentioned, by both Arianne and Jon, in a negative approach.

The spymaster was new to Griff, a Lyseni named Lysono Maar, with lilac eyes and white-gold hair and lips that would have been the envy of a whore. At first glance, Griff had almost taken him for a woman. His fingernails were painted purple, and his earlobes dripped with pearls and amethysts.

~

Arianne’s company was met by a column of sellswords down from Griffin’s Roost, led by the most exotic creature that the princess had ever laid her eyes on, with painted fingernails and gemstones sparkling in his ears.

Lysono Maar spoke the Common Tongue very well. “I have the honor to be the eyes and ears of the Golden Company, princess.”

“You look… ” She hesitated.

“…like a woman?” He laughed. “That I am not.”

“ …like a Targaryen,” Arianne insisted. His eyes were a pale lilac, his hair a waterfall of white and gold. All the same, something about him made her skin crawl. Was this what Viserys looked like? she found herself wondering. If so perhaps it is a good thing he is dead.  

9 minutes ago, Colonel Green said:

People have speculated when this was read in the past that the descriptions of Elia Sand's character were meant to foreshadow some sort of impulsive tryst with fAegon, which, having read it, I could certainly see.

Pleasant enough chapter, though it's not going to assuage the concerns of many people that the plot is moving too slowly.

I haven't got to AFFC/ADWD on my latest re-read yet.  But just reading that sample chapter reminds me that it's not only the TV show version of the sand snakes that are appalling unrealistic characters!

59 minutes ago, Ser Gareth said:

Sadly, yes.  We had a whole paragraph on fauna. 

I think it is the first time wild weirwood trees are mentioned. At least South of the wall. Not that I think it means something.

GRIFF. THAT'S ALL I READ. ARIANNE? WHO IS ARIANNE???

4 hours ago, Arrow of the Morning said:

We don't know about the first rumor (It can be true). The second may be true either, but I will discuss it later. But, by the last POV of Jon Connington we know it is not entirely true, even Red Ronnet is dead, we know his sister was not raped, she was just imprisoned in the castle and is been well treated. Chains and Young Jon Mudd said Jon Connington forbid rapes (we know the highborn women are safe, at least). And, may b Ronnet not even headed Griffin's Roost or encountered JonCon. It shows how inaccurate the rumors are and they can be just lies or half-trues.

I think you're mixing up the Griffins. Red Ronnet was in King's Landing and he has one brother (Raymund) and a sister, as well as a bastard son. We know Jon has said he has no plans on killing them, unless Ronnet does something stupid, and I doubt he would hurt them even if Ronnet indeed does something stupid. So, so far, I'm sure Raymund is ok.

Also, remember that only ten days have passed. Jon said they would wait ten days and no more. When King's Landing found out, probably a few more days passed. So, all of this is likely no more than two weeks after "The Griffin Reborn", Ronnet can't yet be there. Also, he doesn't have enough men to go to the Griffin's Roost on his own, and the Council hasn't even agreed on sending him there. I doubt Red Ronnet is that much of an idiot to go on his own and pull a Brandon Stark, knowing his siblings and son are prisoners. And even if he did, he's likely a prisoner.

1 hour ago, Colonel Green said:

Elia is going to become JonCon's worst nightmare: she's both Elia AND Lyanna into one.

But yeah, I feel that Aegon is going to pull a Rhaegar and do something very impulsive like trying to marry Elia. I mean, Elia is all hormonal as much as he probably is.

3 hours ago, Werthead said:

I am certain that House Whitehead would behave in the most honourable and yet badass way possible at all times.

:D

Winterfell is surrounded by two massive walls, one of them 100 feet tall, separated by a moat and with strong defensive walls. A full-scale assault on Winterfell would be extremely costly and victory would be dubious. It's probably less defensible to direct assault than Casterly Rock, the Eyrie or Storm's End because, as Theon found out, Winterfell is so spread out you'd also need quite a lot of men to effectively hold it. But at its height, Winterfell would be extremely hard to take in battle.

It's also hard to lay siege against it because of the cold weather.

5 hours ago, Arrow of the Morning said:

Randyl made a vow to the High Septon to return Margaery and her cousins to the Faith to their trial, so probably he had to stay in King's Landing. Mace is leading the army and it is not so odd, h is a man that never truly won a battle as commander and is eager to gain his laurels.

Mace would never leave his daughter alone. Especially since with Kevan down and Cersei neutralized for a while, he's the man in the city now. He wouldn't abandon his chance to finally lord it over everyone there. Randyll on the other hand, as a proven battle commander, would be the ideal candidate to sweep up that little Rebellion in the Stormlands, before fools and Dornishmen flock to Faegon's banner. To Mace's mind, sending Randyll out would probably seem like the best decision. The vow is actually an extra argument, because when Randyll's out of town, Mace could always intervene violently in Maergery's trial if the High Sparrow goes crazy :) 

4 hours ago, Lord Varys said:

I suppose you and I will never see eye to eye on this one LV. Everything about Randyll screams that he'd be a Blackfyre supporter. His martial lifestyle, his distate of maesters and women and his generally more conservative outlook fits right up there with the likes of Ser Gordon Peake. He'll turn his cloak sooner or later.

4 hours ago, Lord Varys said:

However, I don't think it likely that Tarly is a secret Golden Company ally or Targaryen loyalist. If that was the case then a battle could easily be avoided completely simply by Tarly either arresting Mace or murdering Mace and then opening the gates to the approaching Aegon.

You know, I think this is the main point of contention between us here. The GC clearly has friends in the Reach. I believe Tarly is one of them, but the fact that he's friendly to the GC's cause doesn't have to mean that he's somehow a deep cover agent for Varys, ready to murder Mace and lay his life on the line for the Blackfyre cause.

Imo the GC's "friends" in the Reach are probably made up of a really wide spectrum of (influential) people, with lots of different reasons for looking favourably on the GC (resentment of the Tyrells, family ties to a company member, old feuds, pure opportunism, similar ideas about government and society and perhaps there are indeed some people amongst them who think of themselves as a sort of fifth column for a new Blackfyre pretender). 

If I had to place Tarly on that spectrum, I'd probably give him a combination of resentment of the Tyrells, a shared outlook on society, probably old feuds (Tarly, as a house would probably be a good candidate for having fought with BF on the redgrass field). All those things make him an ideal candidate for turning his coat eventually, but that doesn't mean he'd be suicidal enough to take Mace out in a city filled with Lannisters and Tyrell loyalists. Especially since he has never met Faegon. The whole flip-of-a-coin thing might be something he's genuinely worried about. No point in turning your coat for someone who might be as weak as Viserys. 

Plus, it's also pretty dishonourable to do that to your liege lord. So, that's another reason why I don't see Randyll sneakily killing Mace and opening the gates. It's both risky and dishonourable. He also has to think about the survival and good fortunes of his house. I'm personally convinced that internally, Randyll is livid that he has to serve under someone like Mace Tyrell. He probably counted the slights Mace delivered to him over the year as accurately as Stannis would have done. Right now though, the  gains for his house are respectable and the Tyrrels, based on the information we have are still far and away in the best position to take this to the bank.

That can change pretty rapidly though. There's a lot of dominoes set up that might change the balance of power or act as the final straw for Randyll. The Redwyne fleet could be defeated. The Tyrells might be humiliated in the Reach by Euron, bringing his own lands under threat. Margaery's trial could go haywire, having the effect that Randyll's vow might come into direct conflict with the will of his liege lord. For that matter, the HS could denounce Mace as an enemy of the Faith if something like that happens. Ser Robert Strong's identity may be revealed and the city could go bonkers. Arianne could promise Dornish support for Faegon, The Vale might end up doing something etc.

If Faegon impresses him (and let's face it, Faegon is the kind of King a man like Randyll would want) - which shouldn't be a problem since he took SE - and if something changes the balance of power right about that time in the book, I wouldn't be surprised if Randyll bows the knee right there.

4 hours ago, Constantinople said:

I thought quite the opposite actually: Arianne looks at a Valyrian featured individual and he makes her flesh crawl. Not a good start to any relationship with Aegon, I don't think. .

Yeah, but not everyone with Valyrian features looks the same :P just like not all blond people look alike. Faegon is about as different from Lysono Maar as you can possibly be. They only share their colourpallette. Besides the fact that she's so underwhelmed by Maar's looks (which is pretty odd come to think of it, has she never seen a Lyseni before?) bodes well for when she sees the "truth" in the bolded statement below:

“ …like a Targaryen,” Arianne insisted. His eyes were a pale lilac, his hair a waterfall of white and gold. All the same, something about him made her skin crawl. Was this what Viserys looked like? she found herself wondering. If so perhaps it is a good thing he is dead.  

“I am flattered. The women of House Targaryen are said to be without peer in all the world.”

“And the men of House Targaryen?”

“Oh, even prettier. Though if truth be told, I have only seen the one.”  Maar took her hand in his own, and kissed her lightly on the wrist.

2 hours ago, Fearodh said:

So after battle of Meereen and battle of Ice this is a third rather big battle what should be still the start of TWOW.

There is also a big battle in the Reach. Ironborn vs. Redwyne fleet or an attack on Oldtown, etc. That's why we'll probably get some surprise turns and twists and some battles that will only be talked about. 

22 minutes ago, JCRB's Honeypot said:

Elia is going to become JonCon's worst nightmare: she's both Elia AND Lyanna into one.

But yeah, I feel that Aegon is going to pull a Rhaegar and do something very impulsive like trying to marry Elia. I mean, Elia is all hormonal as much as he probably is.

I feel like Elia Sand has 'tragically going to die' written all over her. 

The things I learned from this:

- The problems with the peasants and how it is shown they are unprotected in the face of war, I am getting more persuaded that Lord Edric Dayne and Anguy will start a new branch of Brotherhood without Banners in Kingswood. Arthur Dayne defeated Kingswood Brotherhood winning over smallfolk to his side, so it will be so ironic that his nephew will start a new brotherhood winning and protecting common people. I think that eventually when Darkstar acquires Dawn and joins fAegon's Kingsguard, he will slay this brotherhood and his kin Edric, but in a very brutal and ruthless way, to mirror Sword of the Morning and Sword of the Evening. That will anger Stormlands peasants and put fAegon's regime in unpopular light, which will be perfect set-up for Edric Storm to come back home on Dany's behalf, retake Storm's End from fAegon loyalists, rally angered Stormlands commoners to his side and fight in the second dance of the dragons.

- BryndenBBlackfish posted an amazing essay regarding this future confrontation between Tyrell army and Golden Company and how it will mirror Agincourt slaughter of French by English army. You guys should check it out. Personally, I too think that Mace will be leading this Tyrell troop, with other half of Reachmen staying in the capital under Randyll Tarly's command. And remember that Tarly swore a holy oath to bring back Margaery for trial. In my opinion, Mace left the capital ONLY because he knew that Margaery was under Randyll's protection, and he is a well known oaf who would never guess that Tarly might give his daughter back into the hands of Faith. Oh, and I am sure Lord Mathis Rowan joined Golden Company, there are just too much details about Rowan and his support for Targaryens.

- I think Arianne will commit Dornish to fAegon's cause ONLY AFTER she witnesses the defeat of large Tyrell army. There are two Dornish armies waiting for a signal. One in Boneway, one in Prince's Pass. After Tyrell defeat I expect majority of Stormlands lords to declare for fAegon, especially militaristic marcher lords that have guarded the paths through Red Mountains for centuries. Per Connington's command, they will let through Boneway army through to join Golden Company and Stormlands lords. Also keep in mind that Rolland Storm escaped Dragonstone after its recapture by Iron Throne, so since Stannis is declared dead by Boltons, he will go and swear allegiance to fAegon which might grant him legitimate Caron name and Nightsong. He might be the one to slay Philipe Foote and let Boneway army through.

I think once Jon Connington and fAegon march on the capital and meet Randyll Tarly and his host some distance away from King's Landing, Tarly will turn cloaks and join his host with theirs. He will also send a raven to Horn Hill to let Dornish army from Prince's Pass through as well. But they will not march on the capital together - the news of ironborn and Euron Greyjoy capturing Oldtown will reach them, so they will go there first.

- TWOIAF foreshadows two events for me actually: Euron knew what he was doing and made Harras Harlaw lord of one of Shield Islands, knowing too well that Tyrells will answer. Plus the fact that Harras was not his biggest supporter and play a big bait role. There is a foreshadowing for Harras Harlaw slaying Garlan the Gallant with Nightfall.

Also there is a foreshadowing for Dornish army sacking and killing Tyrells in Highgarden. The host in Prince's Pass will be used in Jon Connington's plan to capture the capital of the Reach. And Arianne will be a big part in the plan, because she already had a small history with Willas Tyrell (as well as Oberyn). I don't know HOW Arianne and Dornish will get inside the castle, but I am betting a big treachery will be involved. After Tyrell defeats on all fronts (capital, against Golden Company, in Oldtown, bannermen leaving to fAegon's cause), Willas will be desperate for some kind of alliance, so Arianne might propose that marriage and alliance they tried to execute years ago, without giving away the fact that Dornish already allied themselves with fAegon. Once signal is given, Dornish will attack, and House Tyrell will be no more (Loras missing on Dragonstone, Margaery probably executed after found guilty by Faith, Garlan slain by Harlaw, Mace defeated by Golden Company, Olenna and Willas killed by Dornish in Highgarden, Leo Tyrell probably killed by ironborn in Oldtown).

@Veltigar I think you're kinda into something. I think "friends in the reach" just mean that the GC is aware of certain dissatisfaction some people from the Reach are feeling about Mace Tyrell, but that doesn't necessarily means they have decided to deflect now. Nevertheless, I believe people like Randyl will flock to a more "warrior" type of man like Aegon, just like some people did the same for Daemon Blackfyre.

I don't believe Randyl would follow Aegon knowing he's a Blackfyre, though. He believes he's a fraud at the moment, but who knows. Maybe he gets offered something or Mace does something incredibly stupid that makes his more loyal bannermen say "enough".

2 hours ago, Ser Gareth said:

Sadly, yes.  We had a whole paragraph on fauna.  Fortunately we didn't have paragraphs on a meal, so small mercies for that.  Will Arianne chapters akin to those of AFFC's Brienne & to a lesser extent Jaime?  We can hope not but on this evidence it seems very likely. 

Reminds me of the old Del Amitri song, "And nothing ever happens, nothing happens at all".

Come on, they are passing through the Rainwood. That is a place we have never visited before. George's prose is pretty unadorned as it is. Rooms, chambers, places, castles, faces, bodies, etc. are only seldom described at all. He likes to dwell on clothes and food, but aside from that most of the chapters consist of dialogue and thoughts, the actual world the series takes place in is seldom described in detail.

@Veltigar

Honestly, I don't think Prince Aegon and Jon Connington want many 'Blackfyre loyalists' among their ranks. Prince Aegon is Rhaegar's son, for the Golden Company as much as Westeros (or else this whole campaign is lost already). This chapter shows that the rank and file of the Golden Company seem to be descended from veterans fighting with Daemon Blackfyre and Bittersteel, but this is shown as the distant past. They serve a different dragon now, after all.

In that sense I'm also not sure whether 'the friends in the Reach' quote really refers to old Blackfyre loyalists or rather to blood relations/private connections some of the members in the Golden Company still have to their old homeland. Laswell Peake might have connections to his (distant) cousin Lord Titus Peake which have nothing to do with ancient Blackfyre stuff. A pretty obvious friend of the Golden Company in the Reach might be Lord Orton Merryweather who may have served with the Golden Company during his exile. Considering that he and Taena have apparently returned to Longtable there is a pretty good chance that we'll next meet them with a pretty sizable army of Reach men at Storm's End.

Just as Jon Connington might be able to strike deal with some of the Marcher Lords and other Stormlords he personally knows from his time in Westeros. The man has invaded the Stormlands but he is/was also one of their peers and might be able to recruit quite a few lords to Aegon's cause whose castles they never even attacked.

In that sense I don't think it matters on which side House Tarly fought during the First Blackfyre Rebellion. I'm with you that the Tarlys might have been one of the houses who backed the Black Dragon to a degree but that would be ancient history now.

The picture Kevan draws of Tarly in the Epilogue is that he is a more dangerous man that Mace (which I'm not sure is correct). But if that's true then what Tarly should be doing right now is wanting to climb to the top of the food chain. And that is not trying to join some fake Targaryen pretender but rather becoming the dominating power at King Tommen's court, a sort of second version of Lord Unwin Peake during the Regency of Aegon III. That would mean real power. And he could actually get that by crushing the Golden Company and becoming the savior of the Realm (and the king) in that process. Defecting to Prince Aegon would just make him one among many again, since Aegon has to reward the captains of the Golden Company first and foremost rather than turncloak Westerosi lords.7

If the scenario is Randyll turning cloaks after he has been defeated it is another story entirely. But then Randyll isn't one of 'the friends in the Reach' but rather just an opportunistic guy among many. Because even Mace Tyrell most likely will turn his cloak should he be crushed by the Golden Company and become Aegon's prisoner.

And we have the whole queen situation to take into the equation, too. Whatever happens in KL will effect what the Tyrell armies will and can do. If Margaery is convicted, Mace has no reason to stick to Tommen. If Tommen dies, Mace has no reason to stick to Tommen. If Cersei effectively destroys the Lannister-Tyrell alliance for good (say, by trying to murder either Mace or Margaery or by creating a situation in which it comes to blows between the Tyrells and the Lannisters in the castle) Mace might be forced to cut his ties to Tommen. And so on.

As to Tarly's personal situation:

The man did profit under Mace Tyrell and was rewarded for his services. There is no reason to believe he felt he had been overlooked. He has just been appointed to Tommen's Small Council which - in the present situation - means that Randyll is one of the direct rulers of the Realm and has quite a lot of power.

And as to his turncloak plans (if he has any):

Actually handing over the Iron Throne to Aegon could win Tarly a pretty decent reward. Marching his army out of KL and adding it to Aegon's would be profitable for Aegon, too, of course, but it would be nothing extraordinary (and technically actually a very suspicious move that would be met with mistrust rather than quick acceptance by Aegon's people). Aegon would still have to take the Iron Throne by force, and there would have to be battles and such.

I'm more inclined to think that Tarly will march against Aegon and give us a real battle which he'll then lose to - assuming he survives - join Aegon thereafter. But not exactly in a very influential position. Mace is more likely to fuck things up if he remains back in KL without Tarly to advise him while wielding technically all the king's power. I don't think he'll be able to keep the peace with Cersei (if she's still there) and the Faith. If the Margaery situation has not yet been resolved when Mace/Tarly hear about the fall of Storm's End (and Rowan's defection to Aegon?) then Mace will have to do something, and considering that I don't see him leaving Margaery while she has not yet been cleared I expect he would sent Mace against the Golden Company. Perhaps with half the Tyrell forces in the city, or even two thirds of them, depending how serious they will take the threat by then.

I don't think the Ironborn threat to the Reach will have any influence on Tarly's actions, either. Willas and Garlan Tyrell (and the Hightowers) are trying to defend the Reach and the Reach Lords don't seem to be stupid enough to turn against each other in face of an outside threat. The destruction of the Redwyne fleet - which I think will happen - would be a huge catastrophe for the entire Reach and actually more likely to drive all the Reach Lords - Tyrells included - out of camp Tommen because Cersei is to be blamed for all that and the people know it.

In light of such a development the Hightowers, surviving Redwynes, coastal Reach lords most likely would bent the knee to King Euron because they would realize that, for the time being, they have no chance to hope rid themselves of the Ironborn. And without some sort of agreement/treaty Oldtown and the Arbor will soon cease to be attractive for traders and merchants because the entire region is controlled by pirates.

In general on Lysono Maar/Aegon:

Guys, Lysono's effeminate looks and behavior makes Arianne's skin crawl (or something about his manners) not his Valyrian features. Connington has a similar feeling in ADwD. Arianne's reaction to Maar is no real hint how she'll react when she first meets Aegon.

Aegon is described as very beautiful and handsome by Tyrion but there is a chance that Arianne will find him not manly/dangerous enough considering his apparent age. The length of Aegon's eyelashes (very long) is once mentioned by Tyrion. No idea whether Arianne likes long eyelashes on her men, though.

I'm also not really expecting an Elia-Aegon affair. There is no hint Aegon likes his girls masculine, and even Elia should know better than to try to mess with a Targaryen prince. Especially if Arianne should get the hots for Aegon - if Arianne decides to try to seduce Aegon I think the boy will have no chance resisting her. She is really good in that department.

Damn i really need to read this from what im hearing here and whats this Storm's end has fallen? Wow thats impressive for any commander and their army to achieve i wonder if Stannis will ever find out that hes lost both Storm's end and Dragonstone.

Edited by Ruhail

IMO, Arianne's interaction with Lysono Maar may be related to how she will judge Aegon. Lysono looking like a Targaryen will make it difficult for her to assess Aegon's heritage based on his blonde hair and purple eyes. Unfortunately there is no picture of Rhaegar anywhere accessible (Castle Darry has Aegon I to Aerys, not Rhaegar portrait in tapestries). I don't think Aegon's facial features are similar to Rhaegar, because if it was, JonCon would have remarked upon it (Eg: he had the same square jaw as Rhaegar or something like that.) All JonCon does is notice the difference in eyecolor of father and 'son'. If Aegon looks like his mother Elia (I mean the facial features, not skin, hair and eye colors), Arianne or Daemon may be able to identify him. 

But the stage is set for Arianne and/or Elia to fall in love with Aegon. I'm sure sooner or later they will hear about JonCon's plan to marry Aegon to Dany, which is against Dorne's interest. All they need is the news of Quentyn to start another Dance of dragons. I think Ser Barristan will send Quentyn's bones with Arch and Drink, and Dorne's view of Dany will depend heavily on what songs the two knights sing. Quentyn did not hate Dany, but his friends accused her for his death even though it was entirely their/his own fault.