[twow Spoilers] Arianne II, Part 2

Angalin

15 hours ago, chrisdaw said:

There's obviously an element of don't worry about that show shit I haven't lost my mind with the Dorne plot in him dropping this chapter now. But, I theorise that tunnel in the cave they'd have had to crawl through is seeding for a reveal later in the book. That when that reveal came we were supposed to link it back to that cave and think, "oh, I know now what's down the end of that tunnel in the Stormlands, what its for". Only, the show might be about to drop that reveal.

As far as why now, this answer seems pretty reasonable.

A thought on some of the speculation about Cersei and Margaery's trials. I think there is a third possibility for Margaery. I think she could be found innocent or guilty. However, I think she could be found innocent of the adultery, but have her marriage annulled anyway, because she was misleading about her marriage with Renly (in other words, she consummated that marriage but lied about it).

13 hours ago, Lord Varys said:

Myrcella doesn't have to be Queen Regnant, though, to be a queen. She could be Aegon's first consort, too, or perhaps the botched Arianne crowning attempt was already enough for that.

If we assume that 'golden crowns' even refers to actually crowns. It could just refer to their golden hair.

Myrcella as Jaehaera to Aegon's, um...Aegon (III) is a possibility I have entertained in the past. But the likelihood of that happening all depends on the circumstances, whether Myrcella is intercepted in the Stormlands, whether there is some need for conciliatory gestures to the Lannister/Baratheon supporters (depends on how much of a force to be reckoned with they are), or whether Aegon is able to claim the throne on the strength of his popularity and Targaryen blood alone. 

4 hours ago, Lord Varys said:

@LordToo-Fat-to-Sit-a-Horse

1. I don't think so. What if the news about Quentyn only arrives months later? Are you saying Dorne will stand by and do nothing while Aegon loses his war?

2. So you think Tyene doesn't have access to Tommen but to his cats? Not sure how that will work. Not to mention that Tyene doesn't even know Tommen has cats and how they look. I'd agree that Tyene might poison somebody. Perhaps the High Sparrow once he is no longer needed. Or some judges if they don't want to convict Margaery (in a scenario in which there is a trial and Tyene becomes one of the judges).

If Mace becomes the Lord Regent as well as the Hand he can do whatever the hell he wants. Nymeria is woman and a bastard and the daughter of that piece of shit who crippled his eldest son and heir. He has every reason to not allow her a seat on the council. The seat was granted to Prince Doran Martell not to his brother's bastard daughter, after all. Not to mention that he is not bound by the words of either Tyrion or Kevan.

3. Myrcella hasn't yet reached KL.

4. Well, we can reasonably assume she won't get a seat on the Small Council. Or talk to Mace and Margaery without a score or more Tyrell guardsmen in the room.

5. Again, she isn't even there yet. How can you say her purpose is to do stuff there if we don't yet know that she'll get there alive? Robb also had a plan how to return home and retake the North. That didn't work, either.

1) Aegon will be winning battle after battle.

2) Nym already said who she wanted to poison. The details doesn´t matter. GRRM will provide. Why on earth kill the HS?

Mace can´t do whatever the hell he wants.Winter has come, he faces rebellion in the north, in the Iron Islands, in the riverlands, in the stormlands and back home (and probably in KL itself, depending how Margs trial goes). He would be suicidal to refuse dorne its place in the Sc.

True the seat belongs to DM, but just as he sent Oberyn and Tywin sent tyrion, now he sends another representative.

3) she most likely has:

Nyrn and Tyene may have reached King’s Landing by now, she mused, as she settled down crosslegged by the mouth of the cave to watch the falling rain. If not they ought to be there soon. Three hundred seasoned spears had gone with them, over the Boneway, past the ruins of Summerhall, and up the kingsroad.

notice they arent going to pass near the GC..And Arianne figures they are already there. from the epilogue we know they are close to the capital, and that they should make preparations. At no point anyone is worried the raiders in the Stormlands could trouble them. Why should we assume they are going to be intercepted?

Myrcella must be crowned btw, so she must arrive KL. if JonCon intecepts them, then she will be a corpse.

4) we don´t know really. GRRM will need a pov for certain events. besides how many men does house lannister have in KL?

5)i think by arianne II she will be there. in Aegons camp what role could she play? in KL on the other hand..

they are killers. they must at least try to kill someone. why create the characters if not?

in Aegons camp, they serve no purpose.. in KL, on the other hand...

5 hours ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

Ah, they've worn crowns since birth as wee princelings, so that piece of the prophecy was fulfilled, an all they still have to do is die before Cersei. 

No, they did not wear crowns as princes. They wore circlets or tiaras, or something like that. Not crowns. Only the king and queen wear crowns.

3 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Myrcella as Jaehaera to Aegon's, um...Aegon (III) is a possibility I have entertained in the past. But the likelihood of that happening all depends on the circumstances, whether Myrcella is intercepted in the Stormlands, whether there is some need for conciliatory gestures to the Lannister/Baratheon supporters (depends on how much of a force to be reckoned with they are), or whether Aegon is able to claim the throne on the strength of his popularity and Targaryen blood alone. 

Actually, this could also happen after Aegon has taken the city. They are not going to crown and style him king before he sits the Iron Throne, anyway. Up until they take KL he'll remain Prince Aegon. From a political perspective a marriage to Myrcella would actually be pretty smart because this way his actual parentage is not going to matter all that much. Either he is king by right of his wife or because he is Rhaegar's son - that way he should be able to get even those people to accept him more easily who think he is just a fraud.

@LordToo-Fat-to-Sit-a-Horse

1. That is not the point. The point is that even if the Golden Company (and whatever fools join them) will not know in advance that they are going to win 'battle after battle'. Should Doran and Arianne only decide to join Prince Aegon after he has won 'battle after battle' then they won't get anything out of this deal. Aegon might perhaps even no longer need Dorne in such a scenario, and he most certainly wouldn't marry Arianne in such a scenario. You don't marry a woman who effectively didn't care whether you lived or died until some news about her stupid brother reached her.

Note that right now there is a battle fought in front of Meereen, most likely followed by another battle after the Volantenes arrive. Quentyn died very shorty before the battle between Meereen and the Yunkish allies began, and since even before the peace treaty between Dany and Yunkai took effect the harbor ships coming and going to Meereen have been under the direct control of the Yunkai'i and their allies.

No ship will leave for Dorne soon, and nobody in Meereen aside from Gerris and Arch even cares about who that Quentyn guy was or is. The news about Daenerys' marriage to Hizdahr and Daznak's Pit might travel to the Free Cities soon (and from there to Dorne) because the slavers want to spread the tale that Daenerys Targaryen has been chastised/is dead, and this whole movement to end slavery is now over but nobody is going to care about Quentyn Martell. At least not in Slaver's Bay. Doran's people in the Free Cities will ask and inquire about him, of course, but until such time as somebody who was in Meereen when the dragons broke free and learned that Quentyn died arrives in Volantis or Lys Doran has no way of learning anything new about his son. And that will be still months in the future. It is actually more likely that Doran's first good information on Quentyn's death will reach when Gerris returns to Dorne (because, again, people being in Meereen right now/at the time the dragons escaped might simply not have heard or cared that Quentyn Martell was responsible for that and died).

2. The High Septon might actually become a threat to Aegon just as he is a threat to Tommen right now. If you can make a king you can also unmake him, and if she successfully infiltrates the Great Sept (which is her task) she might learn things about him and his goals that greatly disturb her.

Mace hates the Dornish. And he hated Oberyn Martell. Nymeria is Oberyn's daughter. There is little chance that she'll be welcome at court. And we know that women are usually not granted seats on the Small Council. In fact, Cersei as Queen Regent might have been the first woman to serve on that body. Back in the days of the Conqueror, Aenys I, Maegor I, and in the early days of Jaehaerys I the Small Council did not yet exist. It was only created in its present shape by Jaehaerys I. So the powerful women of the old days - Aegon's sisters, Alyssa Velaryon, Tyanna of the Tower, etc. - most likely weren't members of the Small Council. Apparently even Princess Elaena couldn't be formally named Mistress of Coin and sit on the council in her own right. She did so in her husband's stead.

In that sense I'd not be surprised if Mace forbid Nym to take Dorne's seat on the council because she is the female bastard of a man he hated. KL is not Dorne, after all, and Doran Martell cannot presume that Dornishwomen are granted the same rights outside of Dorne than they are back home. Mace is not entirely rational on this whole thing, either. It may be smarter not to anger Dorne but he might not care.

Legally Mace certainly will be able to do whatever the hell he wants. And he doesn't have to be all that rude about that. Just say there has been a misunderstanding. You know, just the way how Cersei unmade Garth the Gross as Master of Coin despite the fact that Tywin and Mace had already agreed on that, too.

3. We have no idea when exactly Arianne 2 is going to take place. And neither do we know where the remaining ships carrying other Golden Company have landed. Some might even have landed north of Storm's End. Arianne assuming Nym and Myrcella must have reached KL by the time the chapter takes place doesn't mean they have not been captured a few days or even weeks before this chapter took place. We just don't know. But even if they have reached the city there is no chance that anything Nym does there will be relevant. The Tyrell army supposedly already marches against KL, and if the Golden Company wins then King Tommen's administration will crumble.

Not to mention that if Cersei's trial takes place as scheduled this will have happened long before Nym arrived, so Doran Martell might actually have long learned about Gregor's existence before his nieces ever set foot into KL. And that was the original question - what effect will Gregor still walking around and serving on the Kingsguard have on Doran Martell?

Myrcella does not have to be crowned as I've said repeatedly. The crowns might not be literal crowns but the golden hair of the children. She might already have worn 'a crown' during the short time Arianne proclaimed her Queen Regnant. Or she might become Aegon's first consort. Assuming the Golden Company chanced upon the Dornish party they wouldn't have killed Myrcella because she was Doran Martell's nieces and a 300 Dornishmen.

4. Pretty much none, as Kevan confirms in the Epilogue. There are Lannister guardsmen in the city, but that's about it. No army of any sort, and the loyalty of the City Watch is completely unknown at this point (although I think Varys controls them now - one really wonders who the father of that Humfrey Waters guy was who knows commands the Goldcloaks...). A realistic view of the KL plots in the beginning of the books is that we'll see events mostly from Cersei's apartments/cell - wherever she is going to be kept after Mace takes power. The only time she'll be able to leave Maegor's (or wherever she will be kept) is for her trial (if that still takes place). If Mace and Tarly and smart they will control access to Cersei by separating her from Qyburn and Ser Robert and using their own men to guard Cersei. That way she won't be able to make plans with anyone. And whether Qyburn will even want to free Cersei or continue to associate with her after her uncle's death remains to be seen. If Mace is smart he'll just buy off Qyburn - or just murder him. The man is now in the position to find out that this guy played a very crucial role in this scheme against his daughter. Qyburn might actually just disappear and hide somewhere.

5. With Varys there is already a killer in KL murdering to put Aegon on the Iron Throne. Nym and Tyene doing the same thing is not necessary. Besides, Varys should be able to murder Tommen in a much better way. Or perhaps he'll take out Margaery next? She does not seem to reside in Maegor's Holdfast so he could most likely show up in her very bedchamber.

5 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

No, they did not wear crowns as princes. They wore circlets or tiaras, or something like that. Not crowns. Only the king and queen wear crowns.@LordToo-Fat-to-Sit-a-Horse

They crowns are their hair. They werent' supposed to have golden hair but black, like Robert. That's kinda the point of the prophecy: "Gold shall be their crowns and gold their shrouds", meaning "look, your kids will have the Lannister look instead of the Baratheon, so people are going to go to war because of that and they will die". Had the kids be born with Baratheon hair, at least one of them, Ned wouldn't have doubted Cersei, Stannis would have never gone to war, and he had supported Joffrey's claim, etc, etc.

2 minutes ago, JCRB's Honeypot said:

They crowns are their hair. They werent' supposed to have golden hair but black, like Robert. That's kinda the point of the prophecy: "Gold shall be their crowns and gold their shrouds", meaning "look, your kids will have the Lannister look instead of the Baratheon, so people are going to go to war because of that and they will die". Had the kids be born with Baratheon hair, at least one of them, Ned wouldn't have doubted Cersei, Stannis would have never gone to war, and he had supported Joffrey's claim, etc, etc.

Yeah, I'm fine with that interpretation.

5 hours ago, Lord Varys said:

No, they did not wear crowns as princes. They wore circlets or tiaras, or something like that. Not crowns. Only the king and queen wear crowns.

I didna realize you were such a strict constructionist. 

5 hours ago, JCRB's Honeypot said:

Oh no, if a "circlet" denoting royal blood cannot be a "crown," how can a lock of hair be a "crown?"

14 hours ago, Lord Varys said:

Well, Nym doesn't exactly have an army with her, so she won't be able to do all that much. And I'm not sure if Nym's mission is still relevant right now. When Doran dispatched her he still intended to buy time for Quentyn and Daenerys. But right now Arianne has nearly reached Aegon and Nym is not yet in KL. Assuming she will be allowed to stay at court (and not arrested or thrown out of the city) she won't have much time to influence things and should Doran and Arianne proclaim for Aegon she might very well be killed.

In fact, if Nym ever gets to KL she is a very likely candidate for the first Sand Snake to die. Tyene should be able to join the Faith in no time but Nym will be a public and recognizable Dornish face in the city.

By the way: George has commented that Areo Hotah will remain a POV in TWoW. Any ideas where he is story is going to go? Many people have speculated for quite a long time that this is going to lead to his death and Obara's as well (and perhaps Darkstar's, too). But I don't think that's actually very likely.

I think the only point of the Darkstar story is to finally introduce House Dayne into the story, with Obara/Areo learning something at High Hermitage that may lead them to Starfall. And we really want to meet the real Daynes eventually, don't we? It is certainly no coincidence that no representative of Lord Edric showed up at Sunspear in the last two books.

Who says that Nym needs an army to cause trouble?

Nym glanced over a shoulder, to where her companions rode a dozen lengths behind. “I was abed with the Fowler twins when the word reached me,” the captain heard her say. “You know the Fowler words? Let Me Soar! That is all I ask of you. Let me soar, Uncle. I need no mighty host, only one sweet sister.
“Obara?”
Tyene. Obara is too loud. Tyene is so sweet and gentle that no man will suspect her. Obara would make Oldtown our father’s funeral pyre, but I am not so greedy. Four lives will suffice for me. Lord Tywin’s golden twins, as payment for Elia’s children. The old lion, for Elia herself. And last of all the little king, for my father.”

And both Nym and Tyene happen to be traveling towards KL.

Even if Mace holds power in KL when Nym arrives, it would be dangerous for him to insult Dorne by refusing to allow Nym a seat on the counsil, I think. His daughter has been arrested, his youngest son might be dying, his other two sons are facing an invasion of Ironborn... Would Mace dare make an enemy on another side, when his situation is already rather unstable? 

I certainly hope that Areo will live for a while. With Arianne traveling towards SE, Areo is our only POV in Dorne, and thus, the only one likely to interact with Doran (once his Darkstar mission of over, at least). GRRM said that Hotah would remain a POV. Does that mean that he's definitly in Winds, or that he's going to show up in at least one of the two books (with the chance that he won't be in Winds, but will appear in ADOS)?

If it means he'll definitly be in Winds, it indeed gives us a chance to learn more about House Dayne, as it will most likely mean we'll get a chapter (or more) about his Darkstar mission, which might lead to the involvement of the Dayne's of Starfall (who are Darkstar's liege, if I'm not mistaken).

@Rhaenys_Targaryen

Hm. I always thought Nym and Tyene actually intended to infiltrate the court without telling anyone who they actually were. I'm not sure they will be able to pull something like that off if at least Nym's identity is known - and Tyene should better get into the city outside of the Dornish party or else the plan to get herself into the Great Sept will never work. The High Septon is never going to allow a wanton Sand Snake to infiltrate his flock if she is recognizable as such.

I'm in general in agreement that such poison plots and assassination plans could work, mind you. I'm just not sure they will have the time to prepare things for that. If Nym actually takes her council seat she should be content with sitting back and fueling the Tyrell-Lannister mistrust and hatred. After all, she and Tyene will also learn about Aegon soon (or already have met him if they chanced upon him) and one suspects that they are smart enough to realize what Arianne and her father might have been up to the entire time. A Targaryen restoration plan of some sort.

But, again, Myrcella knows who actually tried to kill her, remember? If she is united with her mother there is a pretty big chance she will spill the beans, and then Nym will feel the wrath of the Iron Throne. Mace wants to end this stupid Dornish betrothal, too, if you check the Epilogue.

Or, hey, how do you guys think are the chances that Doran has actually sent Myrcella to KL? Perhaps it is Rosamund Lannister instead? Wouldn't that be neat...

The very fact that Doran has agreed to send Myrcella back instead of stalling the whole thing is a pretty huge hint that he has already made his decision to enter into a war. He still hopes to do it for Quentyn and Dany, of course, but if Myrcella is truly going home and gets there alive then war might already be inevitable.

@Lord Varys

Myrcella knows who tried to kill her, and that part of the story the Dornish tell is exactly the same. Darkstar tried to kill her, failed and maimed her instead, and is now being hunted.

She could tell Cersei what truly happened to Arys Oakeart, and how Arianne was involved in that.. But it is by no means certain that she'll do so. We don't know what Arianne and Doran told her, how they convinced her to lie. It presumably would depend much on that, I'd think.

If Rosamund was send to KL, the plan must have been for the girl to never reach KL, because Cersei would very much be aware that Rosamund is not her daughter. In fact, Myrcella returning home will mean that all of her companions (her septa, Rosamund, etc.) are returning as well. Why would they remain in Dorne and only Myrcella return home? 

Nymeria wanted to go cause trouble with Tyene. That was before. Now, she's going on an official mission to KL. And assuming she has no secret plot right now, she'll actually arrive in KL intend on following the orders Doran and Arianne give. But the thing is that that can change as soon as she sees Ser Robert Strong. And only then does it become important again that, when she wanted to go and take revenge, she wanted to use Tyene as her partner. Nymeria won't be able anymore to have her presence remain unknown in KL, but that doesn't mean that she can't partner up with Tyene and cause trouble in secret in response to Strong's presence.

And actually, Nym might be able to play the role of being insulted by Aegon's claim. A boy claiming to be the dead son of her father's beloved sister? How dare they? If Nym can succeed in convincing KL that Dorne is insulted by the claim of Aegon, she can actually give Arianne and Doran more time to figure out how to respond. 

As for Mace, again, with the Reach in so much trouble, with Margaery's and Loras's situations, and with Mace's power depending on Tommen keeping his throne, insulting the Dornish would be a stupid thing to do. That would include breaking the betrothal. Kevan spelled that out quite clearly for him already. 

“This is what comes of dealing with the Dornish,” Mace Tyrell said. “Surely a better match can be found for the girl?”

Such as your own son Willas, perhaps? Her disfigured by one Dornishman, him crippled by another? “No doubt,” Ser Kevan said, “but we have enemies enough without offending Dorne. If Doran Martell were to join his strength to Connington’s in support of this feigned dragon, things could go very ill for all of us.”

Offending Dorne will mean losing Dorne, and that is something the Iron Throne cannot afford. It isn't simply Dorne's millitary power that is important here. If the Prince of Dorne declares that Aegon is not Elia's son by Rhaegar, he might only be joined by oppertunists. If the Prince of Dorne declares that Aegon is indeed Elia and Rhaegar's son, however, Aegon's claim becomes legitimate, and should there still be people who wish for a Targaryen restoration, they might easily be swayed by such news. Both highborn and lowborn.

@Rhaenys_Targaryen

Well, the idea is that if Doran foresees/suspects that the real Myrcella will implicate his heir, Princess Arianne, in a plot against King Tommen then he might have descended to buy himself more time by saying he would sent Myrcella back while actually sending Rosamund - she might not know what had happened. Cersei certainly will recognize her, but that's not the point.

Myrcella is described as a smart young girl in AFfC. She would realize if she has been tricked/manipulated, and subsequently decide to tell her mother the truth.

Mace might still not care about offending Dorne because he is not necessarily glued to Tommen until the very end. He could join Aegon, too.

Loras' situation might not be so dire, it seems, considering that Mace talks about Loras searching Dragonstone. That doesn't suggest the boy is still dying. He might have recovered somewhat.

@Lord Varys

Mace will remain on Tommen's side until he has Margaery freed from her current imprisonment. After that, he'll most likely only decide to change sides if there's more to gain from joining Tommen, for example, when Aegon's support has grown large enough that he's actually threatening Tommen's chances. 

And before that can happen, Nymeria will arrive in KL, and thus, Mace needs to take care not to insult the Dornish to such an extend that they'll abandon Tommen.

Sending Rosamund would make sense if Nymeria wasn't travelling with her. Since Nym is, I currently see little reason to assume it is Rosamund returning to KL, not Myrcella. 

And yes, Myrcella is a smart girl. But that doesn't mean she'll tell her mother that it was Hotah who killed Arys, and not Darkstar. The part about who tried to kill her is true, remember. That's the part Cersei will most likely focus on. Nor does Myrcella being clever mean that she does not agree with lying about what exactly happened. Arys was involved in treason, after all, and she might not want to hurt his memory.

Interestingly, Arianne only states that Trystane had a tearful goodbye from Myrcella, but does not mention that Myrcella and Nym are currently together. That's from Kevan's POV. And if there was a switch, Arianne would most likely know about it. Tearful goodbye's only means the children have been split up, not necessarily where Myrcella is going.

But, as I said, the remainder of Myrcella's guards, servants, etc. should be travelling with her. There's no reason for them to remain in Dorne. Could they be convinced to leave Dorne without Myrcella? I do not think that is likely.

I'd be interested to find out how Doran dealt with Myrcella's servants, handmaidens, guards etc. anyway after her injury. Her sudden absence cannot have gone unnoticed for them, and Arys's death neither. Doran kept Myrcella at the Water Gardens when Balon Swann arrived. Did he send all the people who had come with her from KL there as well, to prevent Balon from speaking with them? What do they know? 

Btw, it isn't Loras who searched Dragonstone. Loras's men searched the castle. No mention of him personally searching/leading the search.

Edited by Rhaenys_Targaryen

@Rhaenys_Targaryen

We cannot say what Mace will do or what his goals are because we don't see into his head. But I see no indication at all that he cares about not antagonizing the Dornishmen. That line of behavior is there since ASoS. He even resents the idea that Oberyn might cross his lands to get to KL. Kevan is the voice of reason on the Small Council, Tarly and Mace don't give a damn. And neither seem to be particularly concern about the threats the Reach is facing. They are confident that they are able to deal with any threat.

Myrcella's servants might still be in the Water Gardens. We don't know who went with her. On the other hand, if Nym would be delivering Rosamund instead of Myrcella Dorne would still have Myrcella as a hostage.

And Nym is expendable, actually.

I actually see no reason why Myrcella would not tell Cersei exactly what happened to her. She is her mother, and she should trust her a lot more than Arianne.

I know that Loras did not personally search Dragonstone. But Mace tells that it was done under Loras' watch. Which means the guy seems to be conscious and in charge, not dying. And Mace doesn't seem to be overly distraught over the fate of his son and daughter. Keep in mind, Loras is his favorite son and Margaery is only daughter. If he thought Loras were dying he most likely would go to Dragonstone after he had dealt with the Margaery situation. Perhaps he would even go right now if he was dying. You know, so that he could be at his side when he dies.

And the Margaery marriage cuts both ways: Mace could also have her marriage annulled on the basis of it being not consummated. He is not glued to Tommen and we'll really have to wait to see if he wants to continue working with the Lannisters if the only Lannister left is actually Tommen. Which is the situation right now.

@Lord Varys

Nothing about the quote states that Loras personally oversaw the search on Dragonstone

“I resent your implication, Swyft,” Mace Tyrell said, bristling. “No wealth was found on Dragonstone, I promise you. My son’s men have searched every inch of that damp and dreary island and turned up not so much as a single gemstone or speck of gold. Nor any sign of this fabled hoard of dragon eggs.”

I'm not speaking of the Margaery/Tommen marriage. I'm speaking of her imprisonment, and that alone. An annulment is not even necesary. Considering the Faith isn't being all that helpfull at the moment. Should Mace want to join Aegon, he could simply take Margaery with him once he marches, and join Aegon with her at his side. Considering that Aegon's victory will most likely mean Tommen's death, getting an annullment from the Faith is not really necessary. 

Back to the point. Mace abandons a siege in order to return to Margaery's side after she was arrested. So I see no reason to assume that he is willing to leave KL, march to SE, and join Aegon upon arrival there whilst leaving Margaery at KL, in the hands of enemies (whether that be the Faith or the Lannisters). That's the scenario I understood you were proposing, and that is not one I can see happening.

As to Mace being concerned about Margaery:

I shall recapture it after my daughter’s innocence is proved.”
How can you recapture it when you have never captured it to begin with? “I understand, my lord, but—”
Tyrell did not let him finish. “These charges against my daughter are filthy lies. I ask again, why must we play out this mummer’s farce? Have King Tommen declare my daughter innocent, ser, and put an end to the foolishness here and now.”

[...]

But Mace Tyrell could not seem to see beyond the threat to his own daughter.

[...]

Tyrell gave a grudging nod. “As you say. My Margaery prefers to be tried by the Faith, so the whole realm can bear witness to her innocence.”
If your daughter is as innocent as you’d have us believe, why must you have your army present when she faces her accusers? Ser Kevan might have asked.

If Loras is dying, Mace can't do anything to change that. But Margaery's fate is something he might be able to influence. And considering these quotes, it seems to me he's rather concerned with the charges Margaery faces.

13 hours ago, Lord Varys said:

1) thats unlikely, even if the GC has been winning every battle, and probably will continue to do so, they can´t really win the IT. Much less defeat Stannis in the north, Euron in the Reach, and in the Iron Islands. Even after defeating Mace, they will need dorne (and more).

After the Victarion and Barristan defeat Yunkai, there will be a window for the dornishmen to leave SB. Barristan will insist they make use of it.

2) When you take a position of power, you learn to swallow your hate if you mean to keep said position. I understand the point of mace hating her, and having a bad relationship, but that’s exactly why GRRM sent her there. She is not an important hostage, nor an important corpse (if Oberyn wasn´t enough to get dorne into war, less so his bastard daughter). And she is not meant to be expelled from the capital (if so, why sent her there in the first place?). Clearly the author means for these two sand snakes to play a role in the politics of KL.

3) http://beckermayer.com/wp-content/uploads/6289-The-Lands-of-Ice-and-Fire-1389383297.jpg

What we know is that preparations should have been made by the epilogue of ADWD (while at the same time JC was marching for SE, pretty far away from KL), for princess myrcellas arrival. We also know no one thought she was in danger of being intercepted.

We also know that by Arianne II, Arianne figures she arrived KL, while the sellswrods just only captured SE.

We also know the dornish travelled far from the coasts. Unless some of the GC landed in the kingswood I don´t see how they could have intercepted them (and princess myrcella has 300 dornish soldiers).. to me its pretty clear they will arrive KL without trouble.

I disagree. GRRM sent her there for a reason. She is just another chekjov gun waiting to be shoot. Otherwise what was the point of sending her?

Even if the Golden Company does win against the Tyrell army, KL will still be safe.

a)      Mace (or Tarly) won´t take all of the tyrell army (like 40k) to the stormlands

B)      Jaime or whoever is in charge of the lannister army in the riverlands would rush for the crownlands

c)       Theres an army in dragonstone.

d)      The Golden Company realistically will take losses, making it impossible for them to take KL by themselves.

Taking SE, and defeating the tyrells, is what Aegon needs to stop being just a couple of adventurers, to become a serious threat. But its not enough to win him the IT.

Well that’s your interpretation. It’s more likely crowns means literary crowns, and myrcella will be crowned after her brother’s death. Btw she was never crowned in Ariannse plot.

No way she becomes Aegon´s queen. More likely a corpse (as connigton said, “to end the usupers line”)

4) There is also the lannister army in dragonstone, those will have to return at some point.

5) Varys would want to kill cersei at this time though? Tommen (and myrcella) sure.. though after Kevans death, security will be tighter. Cersei on the other hand, I think varys would want her to lose her trial, but she is one of the elements that bring instability to KL and therefore a positive thing for aegon at this point. Varys would want to keep the lannister and tyrell tension moving forward.

May I ask a question -it's a nerdy one but torments me- in this chapter Arianne remembers the septon and maester and Doran Martell in a discussion having different opinions about the storms and how the sea gives shape to the shores and while maester says it's about natural causes the septon talks about a legent that someone stole the daughter of two gods and one of them was god of the sea , I consider septons something like priests (having one god with 7forms consider this one god the only one) like priests prieching about the trinity etc I can't imagine a priest giving explanation that someone stole p.e. the daughter of Poseidon cause it's another previous religion . Is it possible a septon to believe in other gods except the seven am I losing something here or is a loose point ?

2 hours ago, Tania said:

May I ask a question -it's a nerdy one but torments me- in this chapter Arianne remembers the septon and maester and Doran Martell in a discussion having different opinions about the storms and how the sea gives shape to the shores and while maester says it's about natural causes the septon talks about a legent that someone stole the daughter of two gods and one of them was god of the sea , I consider septons something like priests (having one god with 7forms consider this one god the only one) like priests prieching about the trinity etc I can't imagine a priest giving explanation that someone stole p.e. the daughter of Poseidon cause it's another previous religion . Is it possible a septon to believe in other gods except the seven am I losing something here or is a loose point ?

A good question. To me, it's not that the Septons don't believe in other Gods, it's that they think the Faith of the Seven is the only "true" religion, and the others are "false gods." That doesn't mean they don't exist, they just aren't really "gods"

57 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

A good question. To me, it's not that the Septons don't believe in other Gods, it's that they think the Faith of the Seven is the only "true" religion, and the others are "false gods." That doesn't mean they don't exist, they just aren't really "gods"

Pretty much this, I was starting to type something similar, then I remembered I barely post here anymore and can't be bothered to type long posts.