[twow Spoilers] Arianne II, Part 2

Angalin

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 1/14/2019 at 2:19 PM, Rose of Red Lake said:

So am I the only one out of the whole 45 pages who is sticking up for Arianne here? She's not C-list character. She's the key to Dorne like Sansa is key to the North. She has autonomy to decide Aegon's fate and therefore holds more soft power than he does. And he's not entitled to her. He isn't Daeron the Good to her Mariah Martell. He's more like the Young Dragon (Young Griffin). Daeron the Good is more like Jon who marries outside the Targaryen line to unite the kingdoms. He is the one who will bring the North and Dorne into the fold tactfully, rather than stupidly, like how JonCon is doing (JonCon is being duped too).

Aegon will fall for the bastard girl who beat Arrianne to Ghost Hill.  The Rhaegar Lyanna connection was too strong to miss.

Doran told Arianne that JonCon is gay.  She will test this and when she realizes that he is the real JonCon she will assume Aegon is real too and cast Dorne in with them.  I think your underestimating the importance of taking Storms End, and the current political instability in Westeros.  Plenty of Reach houses ready to jump ship, Ironborn attacking the Reach, Tyrell Lannister feud in KL, the faith militant, the Riverlands about to kill the Lannisters and Freys, etc etc. Aegon is going to look like a white knight come to save the day to everyone who just wants some stability and a non evil person ruling the kingdom.  This is part of why Dany will look evil to people when she comes and kills him.

• 1 year later...
On 3/8/2020 at 9:11 AM, aryagonnakill#2 said:

Aegon will fall for the bastard girl who beat Arrianne to Ghost Hill.  The Rhaegar Lyanna connection was too strong to miss.

Honest question though: will Arianne care that he’s fallen for their mutual cousin? They do things differently in Dorne and as long as she’s the queen will it matter who her husband is in bed with? Especially since it was strongly implied she tried to have a three way with Tyene?

I definitely saw the parallel and the potential when reading that, but I’m still in the fence re if it will happen. Just doesnt seem like it would move the main plot forward at all. 

• 3 months later...

I haven't read through this thread, so apologies if this came up already, but I'm leaning towards Daemon Sand being the one who revealed Arianne's Queenmaker plot to Doran. Daemon seems fairly level-headed and he could probably see just how disastrous of a plot trying to crown Myrcella was. Plus he was imprisoned for demanding the Sand Snakes be freed in AFFC, so he probably had some contact with Doran in the weeks leading up to it.

If Arianne does marry Aegon, I'm curious how she'll handle the High Sparrow/Faith Militant. Arianne tells Arys in AFFC that some people see her as a "willful wanton" (I see no reason why she'd need to lie about that), and she does prefer to dress very provocatively. The High Sparrow is hella misogynistic, and he does give us this gem in ADWD:

The High Sparrow was not done with her, however. "These are common sins," he said. "The wickedness of widows is well-known, and all women are wantons at heart, given to using their wiles and their beauty to work their wills on men. There is no treason here, so long as you did not stray from your marriage bed whilst His Grace King Robert was still alive."

(Seriously, this excerpt doesn't get discussed enough. It says a lot about who the High Sparrow is beneath the piety).

Top that off with her being Dornish, and I think Arianne may have a harder time navigating King's Landing's political web than she's expecting.

13 hours ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

If Arianne does marry Aegon, I'm curious how she'll handle the High Sparrow/Faith Militant. Arianne tells Arys in AFFC that some people see her as a "willful wanton" (I see no reason why she'd need to lie about that), and she does prefer to dress very provocatively. The High Sparrow is hella misogynistic, and he does give us this gem in ADWD:

(Seriously, this excerpt doesn't get discussed enough. It says a lot about who the High Sparrow is beneath the piety).

Top that off with her being Dornish, and I think Arianne may have a harder time navigating King's Landing's political web than she's expecting.

honestly , this quote and everything else we've seen of him suggests to me that High Sparrow can potentially be one of the darkest characters in the books . and knowing Martin used to be a catholic and probably familiar with the concept of religious leaders misusing people's fear and misery, he must have created High Sparrow to be more of a villain in the story . Yet, when I put High Sparrow among top 5 monstrous characters right beside the likes of Tywin and Euron , people mock me!

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/6/2022 at 10:57 AM, EggBlue said:

honestly , this quote and everything else we've seen of him suggests to me that High Sparrow can potentially be one of the darkest characters in the books . and knowing Martin used to be a catholic and probably familiar with the concept of religious leaders misusing people's fear and misery, he must have created High Sparrow to be more of a villain in the story . Yet, when I put High Sparrow among top 5 monstrous characters right beside the likes of Tywin and Euron , people mock me!

The Walk of Shame was hugely misogynistic. For all we know, Arianne's plot might take a huge left turn and lead her somewhere else, but if she does end up as Aegon's queen, I think she'll hit some pretty big hurdles. 

I guess this is technically from the first Arianne sample chapter, but I do find it hilarious that her first instinct to negotiate with JonCon is to try to seduce him. Arianne may not be a psychopathic murderer like Cersei, but they definitely have their similarities.

The thing about Arianne and her cousins is that, because of Doran’s efforts to spare Dorne from any carnage, they’re all a lot more sheltered and a lot less prepared for what’s ahead of them than they realize. Arya, Sansa, and Dany are all significantly younger than the Dornish ladies, but come across as much more mature. This is most striking with Asha, the character who arguably mirrors Arianne the most.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 2/6/2022 at 10:57 AM, EggBlue said:

I agree the High Sparrow is being set up as a major villain. more to come.

• 1 month later...
On 2/20/2022 at 3:53 AM, The Bard of Banefort said:

I guess this is technically from the first Arianne sample chapter, but I do find it hilarious that her first instinct to negotiate with JonCon is to try to seduce him. Arianne may not be a psychopathic murderer like Cersei, but they definitely have their similarities.

The thing about Arianne and her cousins is that, because of Doran’s efforts to spare Dorne from any carnage, they’re all a lot more sheltered and a lot less prepared for what’s ahead of them than they realize. Arya, Sansa, and Dany are all significantly younger than the Dornish ladies, but come across as much more mature. This is most striking with Asha, the character who arguably mirrors Arianne the most.

Makes you wonder why Doran had Elia Sand join Arianne on her very dangerous mission. Is it because he wanted Arianne to see “herself” from the outside and realise how reckless she is?

Edited by Takiedevushkikakzvezdy