Jorah Mormont (spoiler)

HaraktheHirsute

I'm also of the idea that Dany did only what was expected of her if she wanted to maintain the respect she should get as a Queen. If she had let a traitor stay in her retinue, what message would that send to the rest of her following? Jorah's situation was quite different from Barristan's: Barristan never acted *against* her, and Jorah did, or at least had the intentions to, at least in the beginning. I also very much resented the way he behaved like at the trial, in contrast to how Ser Barristan acted, at one point there were even tears on his eyes.

It is clear to me that this was not an easy choice for Dany, specially because later in the night when she sees the lights and imagines one of them is Ser Jorah, she calls him "my old bear" again... It pains her because she trusted him deeply, but she did what she had to. This is also why I think this was not an impulsive decision whatsoever.

• 4 weeks later...

well, if you see it from Jorah's perspective when he was exiled he only wanted to go back home. He didn't know Dany and it was a task to get him home. But when you get to know someone things change, I think he truly cares for her and i think he was writing them in the west afterwards to get a feeling what was happening, who knows what he wrote in those letters.

Though you guys are right about him not trying to explain his pov and instead was defensive...what a way to blow it Jorah! but I think we haven't seen the last of him and I still think he will be watching over Dany

Honestly I think it was stupid. He could have been of great help, had he stayed. Dany is a young girl who knows nothing of war and nothing of the land she means to take. Having him around could only have helped.

Also I think it unwise to let go of someone who knows so much about you and your plans. Right now nobody in Westeros believes dragons to exist. That could be an upper hand, but if an exiled knight were to return and tell it true... Let's hope he really does love her now.

Agreed. I'm glad she didn't kill him, it would've been unjust after all the times he helped her, but she couldn't still keep him on her council after what he did. If he was really loyal he'd have confessed what he did a long time ago, or at least apologized when she found out instead of blaming Barristan and acting indignant about it. It might've been more fair if she'd simply "demoted" him so he was a regular soldier in her army, but knowing his pride that might've embittered him even more. I do worry that he'll come back for revenge though.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I also hated it when she sent him off but he deserved it. In ADWD he is trying to get back to her and takes Tyrion captive to deliver to her. Despite getting side tracked I hope he does return to her service with Tyrion! Thats going to be a great read. At the end she flashes back and admits that she really misses him. His made mistakes but he really cares for her.

I also hated it when she sent him off but he deserved it. In ADWD he is trying to get back to her and takes Tyrion captive to deliver to her. Despite getting side tracked I hope he does return to her service with Tyrion! Thats going to be a great read. At the end she flashes back and admits that she really misses him. His made mistakes but he really cares for her.

Idiot. Thanks for the spoilers.

Nevertheless, I expected this to happen, or something alike.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I was able to avoid the spoiler in this thread, phew. Dany absolutely made the right move dismissing him. She spared him death on the grounds of his service in the past but punished him with banishment. She was both just and kind. She no longer needs his services as she now has a far superior knight in Barriston Selmy at her side.

Personally I would have killed him but that's not really her MO with the whole mother image.

I hated that scene. I wish Dany had better sense and had forgiven Ser Jorah - he was her best counselor (I think he was right NOT to trust Magister Illyrio, and his advice to obtain The Unsullied was exceedingly clever). He saved her from one assassin - why is Dany surprised? If she had asked him who he was informing to (it was to Varys - who is obviously NOT on Team Lannister), she would've understood.

I hope she accepts him back into her service at some point. :-(

Now when you say obviously do you mean it is obvious to the reader (of course it would be) or obvious to Dany? I ask because if you mean obvious to Dany I was wondering how? Did I miss something? Considering that in Westeros reports of dragons aren't fully understood, and there are spies out looking for this sort of thing, how would a teenage girl roaming aimlessly in a distant land filled with all different languages and customs be so well int he know as to whats going on back in Westerosi court?

I'm pretty sure you just meant obviously to the reader (since you used parenthesis), but still seem to expect Dany to just understand even though to her Varys works for the Usurpers, and Mormont had worked for him so in turn he worked for the Usurpers. Had he not been informing for so long I could have understood her forgiving him, but considering he gave a report while they were in Qarth I think she was fully justified.

As for Safs comment here which contains a spoiler from ADWD:

Dude are you fucking serious? This is the still reading section, just because something has (spoiler) in the title doesnt mean its appropriate to throw in info from future books. (spoiler) typically means it contains info from within this book... dude wtf, really????

I'm pretty sure you just meant obviously to the reader (since you used parenthesis), but still seem to expect Dany to just understand even though to her Varys works for the Usurpers, and Mormont had worked for him so in turn he worked for the Usurpers. Had he not been informing for so long I could have understood her forgiving him, but considering he gave a report while they were in Qarth I think she was fully justified.

Yeah I agree with this for the most part. Jorah did himself a great disservice by badmouthing Ned Stark and King Robert, when in the past he had served Ned and was still informing for (more or less) Robert.

That being said, he still saved her life (stopping the poisoner, killing Qotho) after he had already earned his pardon (I might be going off the TV show here, I don't recall if it was ever explicitly stated in the books that Jorah's informing earned him a royal pardon), and he consistently gave her pretty good advice, even if most of it stemmed from him not trusting anyone. I'm just not sure if dismissing him was the best choice. Sure it made a statement to anyone that might cross her in the future, but at that point he was a loyal servant who could have been of a lot of use to her.

Yeah I agree with this for the most part. Jorah did himself a great disservice by badmouthing Ned Stark and King Robert, when in the past he had served Ned and was still informing for (more or less) Robert.

That being said, he still saved her life (stopping the poisoner, killing Qotho) after he had already earned his pardon (I might be going off the TV show here, I don't recall if it was ever explicitly stated in the books that Jorah's informing earned him a royal pardon), and he consistently gave her pretty good advice, even if most of it stemmed from him not trusting anyone. I'm just not sure if dismissing him was the best choice. Sure it made a statement to anyone that might cross her in the future, but at that point he was a loyal servant who could have been of a lot of use to her.

She has received what appears to be good advice from a man who, upon entering every single major trading center has fed information back to her enemies. Advice that continues to make it seem like she can trust no one but her friend Jorah, who as it turns out is not trustworthy. He saved her life yes, but now she has to wonder was it genuine or a method to get closer to her in order to report back to Westeros. Why is he so suspicious of everyone trying to help her? Is it because it is legit advice, or is it that he is trying to hinder her quest by manipulating the way things appear to favor only believing in him sot hat she eventually fails? Why is he so against going back to Ilyrio? yes he gives a good argument that the man "sold her" but then it was her brother's wish, and really, every encounter she has had with the man is one where it appeared as though he was trying to aid her and her brothers cause. Shes smart, she knows now that things havent been as they appeared for the past year or so, and now she has to go back and try to piece together the truth, looking at possible motives and schemes in advice given and if its truly god advice and doesnt just appear it.

Archived