New User Registration.

Needle Stark

If you guys have a registration procedure that takes 24 hours, do you really expect to get new contributors on the wiki. I noticed some things were missing on the wiki yesterday, so I signed up for an account. And by today all I got is access to the forum, (I still cant edit the wiki.). Now, I doubt I remember exactly what I wanted to add yesterday.

If you argue that, the registration procedure was made so to prevent spammers. I will just have to say, think of how many new contributors have been discouraged by doing so.

Hi Needle Stark,

The reason of the of login problems is that the bridge between the forum and the wiki is causing it's own problems. Some of them make it hard or impossible to do anything on the wiki so it not just 'get rid of the barriers'

The best way is to contact Ran, our forum webmaster. He can open the bridge for a short suitable time (before it crashes again).

You can contact him at [email protected].

Cheers!

I remember that the first weeks that the Wiki began (this must be 4 years ago) we had a number of cases of vandalism. At that time it was rather demotivating that when you are just beginning something it gets destroyed right away. I think that is why registration has been made mandatory.

But we have now a lot more users that are active so vandalism may be less damaging.

I don't know what Ran thinks but maybe we should give it a try.

The issues with the bridge have nothing to do with preventing vandalism. The server cannot always handle it being turned on.

The forum approval, on the other hand, have everything to do with keeping spammers out. Manual validation is simply necessary today for most forums.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I think the bridge is down again... The wiki seems to be unaware of my account :-)

Is there a way to know when it's open or closed ? Or a time of the day when it's more often open than closed ?

And could you, please, put an explanation of the problem in the registration guide... because right now, it looks just like if we have to wait for account confirmation or something.

Anyway, it was only to correct some details on the featured quotes page (Twice the same quote : 6th and 83rd, 13th without author, 85th with some case problem, and some other typos)

• 4 weeks later...

Archived