Eastercon 2012

Alytha

IIRC the £65 price should stay as it is until the pre-booking closing date, which is in late March. Door prices for weekend membership should be around £75.

However, if you want to stay in the con hotel, you should make your booking sooner rather than later. When it runs out, the overflow hotels are just next door - the Radisson Non-Euclidean is on the Heathrow hotel strip, and I know there's a Holiday Inn, an Ibis and a Marriot just close by - but staying in the actual hotel is a better experience (if a more expensive one than, say, the Ibis).

Last time Eastercon was held at the Non-Euclidean there were about 1600 members including day members - maybe 1000 full weekend members. According to its website, the hotel sleeps 627 people before third beds are added. I expect as many third beds as possible will be added, and some people will commute in or stay at the cheap-and-cheerful down the road, but still.

And as lordMountainGoat is the 646th member... if everyone stayed in the con hotel, it would already be almost full. Best get booking!

ETA: That 646-member list does include apocryphals, who aren't known for taking up hotel beds. Still.

What the hell is a beeblebear?

Actually I don't want to know :uhoh:

It's a teddy bear with the same attributes as Zaphod Beeblebrox: two heads, three upper limbs, three eyes plus an eyepatch. They're lovely. :) You will meet many of them at Eastercon and there may even be a ZZ9 stall selling them - it's where I got mine four years ago - but as they are effectively 1.42 teddy bears they have to pay £1.42 for membership instead of £1. (I noticed the apocryphals-bolstering-list-numbers thing when I signed in my beeblebear and MCGeek's mobile phone. Yes, he likes having a membership badge for his mobile.)

Membership cost me £65 it goes up tomorrow.

Aly I have bought my membership and used their form to book the hotel room for fri/sat/sun nights with you as a share. It did say we can change hotel info up to two weeks before the con. The form also mentioned that when both people need to say who they are sharing with on each membership form. I've only paid for membership so far. If you have allready booked the hotel some other way please say so ASAP so we don't end up with two rooms.

I'll probably only buy membership once I get my leave for next year approved, which should be some time in December. So I haven't booked the hotel either. But as it's possible to change it later, I'd say go ahead :)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm hoping to go (having had such a blast at Titancon), but I haven't yet decided whether to shell out for the con hotel or try a cheaper hotel just up the road. I'll see if I can convince a friend to go with me, but otherwise I'll be looking for a room mate if anyone's interested. :-)

• 2 months later...

Can I bring Larp swords?

IIRC, no. Certainly not if they look in any way realistic. If you want realistic-looking rubber swords for the cabaret - or even lightsabers - you typically need to hand them in till you are about to use them.

Archived