Question about Bran's assassination attempt

Alan of Rosby

In the book, Tyrion believes that Joffrey was the one who ordered the assassination attempt with the Valyrian dagger on Joffrey. However, I have a hard time believing that Joffrey was acting alone. Does it stand to reason that Littlefinger was involved in some way? He seemed to want the lion and wolf to be at each other's throats, although his final play isn't entirely clear at this point.

Littlefinger's involvement was after the fact. He saw it as an opportunity to cause a rift between the Stark's and Lannister's. Joffrey acted on his own. How far are you into the series?

I agree with this point. It is made clear that by the messy way that this whole assassination attempt was planned and executed that it could only have been Joffrey acting alone.

Keep in mind that Littlefinger is a MASTER plotter, and he could never do anything so messy, if he had his hand in this plan it would have been executed perfectly and Bran would therefore be dead.

Littlefinger did indeed use the failed attempt to his advantage to cause a rift, because by causing this drama he was able to help advance himself. It is all part of a master scheme for himself that hasn't quite ended (at least where I am in AFfC that is) I'm sure.

Littlefinger's involvement was after the fact. He saw it as an opportunity to cause a rift between the Stark's and Lannister's. Joffrey acted on his own. How far are you into the series?

Finished aSoS a few weeks ago.

I agree with this point. It is made clear that by the messy way that this whole assassination attempt was planned and executed that it could only have been Joffrey acting alone.

Keep in mind that Littlefinger is a MASTER plotter, and he could never do anything so messy, if he had his hand in this plan it would have been executed perfectly and Bran would therefore be dead.

Littlefinger did indeed use the failed attempt to his advantage to cause a rift, because by causing this drama he was able to help advance himself. It is all part of a master scheme for himself that hasn't quite ended (at least where I am in AFfC that is) I'm sure.

The assassination attempt was clumsy but it drove a lot of the events in the series and Littlefinger seems to benefit from them immensely.

Finished aSoS a few weeks ago.

The assassination attempt was clumsy but it drove a lot of the events in the series and Littlefinger seems to benefit from them immensely.

Yes, Littlefinger does benefit, but it's easy to see how he's using all of this to his advantage. From the way that Petyr Baelish always perfectly executes plans, and the way that he always makes sure there is no trace in a way to go back to him I just don't believe he had any part in this plan.

To allow there to be a chance that things could be traced back to him just does not seem logical to me.

• 1 month later...

I wonder if Littlefinger was responsible for Ned Stark beheading. Maybe he hinted it to Joffery, making him think it was his own idea

I wonder if anyone but the Starks would have thought longer than two seconds why the Lannisters would send an incompetent assassin with a priceless and unique weapon.

I don't understand, are you calling the Starks stupid? Because Joffrey is a full-blooded Lannister, and he sent the incompetent assassin with the priceless weapon.

Joff, really? But what motive would he have? He didn't seem to hate Bran at Winterfell, so I'm suspecting it was, like, I don't know...Lysa Arryn again? To make the Lannister accusation more realistic, I guess? I just have a hard time believing that Joff would have cared enough about some random boy's death to send his precious Valyrian dagger after him. Besides, everyone agrees the attempt was clumsy and Lysa is a big foolish cow...

I wonder if Littlefinger was responsible for Ned Stark beheading. Maybe he hinted it to Joffery, making him think it was his own idea

Nope. From what we know of Joffery, it was his own idea. Unless, Baelish claims to suggest it Joffrey somewhere in the last two books.

Okay, so, why did the mountain kill Jon Aryn's squire again?

I think that's just because The Mountain is an asshole. I think Sandor's interpretation was correct: he saw his Gorget wasn't fastened properly, and his first thought is to kill him.

One can wonder if Littlefinger had anything to do with Ser Hugh's enthusiasm for the joust and the unsecured gorget...

The enthusiasm, wouldn't surprise me. The unsecured gorget? I doubt it. There's no way he could have manipulated that one. Besides, given how Petyr was trying to cause conflict between Stark and Lannister, and the surest way would be for Ned Stark to fortuitously discover the Lannister incest, and end up shoving the ball the rest of the way, I think Petyr was trying to nudge Ned along towards the secret, without showing his hand to all the other players.

Archived