Want to have an avatar/user pic? Read this thread.

Kat

So you want to add an avatar but you're unable to view your profile? Don't know how to do it to begin with? Here is the step by step guide to adding an avatar (the picture you see next to your posts). If you're confused about one of these steps, I linked to screenshots. This should work even when the board is in Performance Mode.

1. Log in on a computer using the regular skin. I'm not sure how to change this on the mobile skin or with Tapatalk.

2. Click the arrow next to your name at the top right of the screen

3. Select "My settings" from the menu.

4. Your settings should open to the correct tab. Select "Change your photo"

5. Important last step!! Pick an option that isn't #1. You cannot actually upload a photo onto the server, but there is no way to remove this option from the board software. Use one of the other options (linking to a picture with a URL hosted elsewhere, such as Photobucket, or logging into Gravatar).

6. Choose your userpic wisely. Here are some guidelines for what is good and bad. Please follow them. Be aware that if you receive complaints about the size of your image, animations, or inappropriate graphics, you may be asked to take it down.

Edited by Kat

But it doens't let me.

I put in the image from the URL.

But it just ignores me.

The problem is that you seem to be trying to direct link an image from Wikipedia, which I don't think allows that. Save the image to your computer, resize it so it's smaller, and host it on another site. Or sign up for Gravatar, which will allow you to link the image and will make a copy on its server and allow you to make it small and square. I don't particularly like Gravatar, but it does work for people who just want an avatar and don't know a lot about hosting images on the web.

The reason your avatar is not showing up is because Wikipedia doesn't want its bandwidth stolen from people viewing their image here rather than on its site. You'll find that's true for almost every website, which is why you shouldn't do it.

But it doens't let me.

I put in the image from the URL.

But it just ignores me.

I find the best site for hosting images to use as avatars is www.imgaeshack.com its free to sign up and im not sure the limit of photos you can upload for free i have like a 100 right now. I get my avatar through linking to my imageshack, also some frineds of mine here at westeros link through my account as well its easy and free you should look into it.

It also lets you resize images extremely easy, i think you can even upload and use pics without making an account try messin around with it.

Edited by ICE CROW

Thanks guys.

I find the best site for hosting images to use as avatars is www.imgaeshack.com its free to sign up and im not sure the limit of photos you can upload for free i have like a 100 right now. I get my avatar through linking to my imageshack, also some frineds of mine here at westeros link through my account as well its easy and free you should look into it.

It also lets you resize images extremely easy, i think you can even upload and use pics without making an account try messin around with it.

thanks!

I did this

http://imageshack.us/f/580/lafarroniere.jpg/

so far not much.

Thanks guys.

thanks!

I did this

http://imageshack.us...farroniere.jpg/

so far not much.

Sometimes the problem is if you open an account on imageshack, the account doesn't become officially valid until you get the conformation email and click the link validating the account. Any image you uploading won't link for you till you validate the account, thats what happened to me originally. Took me a few tries to get my Avatar up and running properly too.

• 2 weeks later...

I have pretty much the same problem. I uploaded mine to Photobucket (no new account, I've had it for years now), resized it to 60x60, and when I set it as my av in my settings it seems to work, but it just doesn't show up on the board... Help? Pwetty pwease? *direwolf puppy dog eyes*

I have pretty much the same problem. I uploaded mine to Photobucket (no new account, I've had it for years now), resized it to 60x60, and when I set it as my av in my settings it seems to work, but it just doesn't show up on the board... Help? Pwetty pwease? *direwolf puppy dog eyes*

Are you using the link listed under "Direct link"? If not, you need to be doing that.

Ok, got it figured out where I went wrong. I did use a direct link, but after hitting "Done" I opened the av menu thingy again to check if it appeared and, not noticing that where you enter the URL was blank (for entering a different one) hit "Done" again, thereby accidentally removing it again. :bang: Does this make sense?

Ok, got it figured out where I went wrong. I did use a direct link, but after hitting "Done" I opened the av menu thingy again to check if it appeared and, not noticing that where you enter the URL was blank (for entering a different one) hit "Done" again, thereby accidentally removing it again. :bang: Does this make sense?

Glad to see it worked. And that's one of my favorite images from the calendar. :)

When you upload on imageshack it brings up a number of different links. Which one are you actually supposed to use in the URL option? Thanks

I am completely convinced that there is an international conspiracy to keep me from putting my av back up.

I'm seeing your av. But anyway, you're supposed to use the "Direct link" one, which only appears if you're logged in.

OK, that's the one I was using.

Is there an ideal size to select on imageshack? I think I went with "thumbnail" but I'd like the picture to be a little clearer if that's possible.

Originally to get a picture to work as an avatar on this site, you had to resize it to 100x100. Ive noticed since the upgrade a month or so ago, it doesn't matter what size the picture is anymore, my avatar is actually 400x480 but the site accepted it with out me having to resize it. The one issue since the upgrade though is no matter if you have a picture that is longer vertically or horizontally, they all get squashed into a perfect square, whereas before that wasn't the case.

If i were you i would reupload your pic to imageshack, leave its size as is and direct link to that one. I noticed the same thing about the quality of the picture when forced to shrink it.

Heres a couple examples of images from my imageshack, all of these are larger than 100x100 thumbnail avatar size, but i link these exactly as is and they work perfectly as my avatar.

http://img845.imageshack.us/img845/7628/crowravensnowwinter9900.jpg

http://img710.imageshack.us/img710/1311/crowforwebsite.png

http://img833.imageshack.us/img833/9895/crowbgt.jpg

Edited by ICE CROW

• 3 weeks later...

I'm getting very frustrated. My avatar pic keeps going back to my FB profile pic all the time, doesn't matter how many times I choose a link for a picture I want to use. Why is this happening?

Edit: I removed my FB account from my profile here, I think that fixed my problem..

Edited by Parise