Want to have an avatar/user pic? Read this thread.

Kat

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So you want to add an avatar but you're unable to view your profile? Don't know how to do it to begin with? Here is the step by step guide to adding an avatar (the picture you see next to your posts). If you're confused about one of these steps, I linked to screenshots. This should work even when the board is in Performance Mode.

1. Log in on a computer using the regular skin. I'm not sure how to change this on the mobile skin or with Tapatalk.

2. Click the arrow next to your name at the top right of the screen

3. Select "My settings" from the menu.

4. Your settings should open to the correct tab. Select "Change your photo"

5. Important last step!! Pick an option that isn't #1. You cannot actually upload a photo onto the server, but there is no way to remove this option from the board software. Use one of the other options (linking to a picture with a URL hosted elsewhere, such as Photobucket, or logging into Gravatar).

6. Choose your userpic wisely. Here are some guidelines for what is good and bad. Please follow them. Be aware that if you receive complaints about the size of your image, animations, or inappropriate graphics, you may be asked to take it down.

I tried to use gravatar but when I click change photo, I select gravatar then hit done. When I then go back to my user name at the top right corner of the forum page the image shows up. I click on save changes, then check my user name again and it is back to blank?!

• 1 month later...

i joined westeros.org last year and had kept the same avatar since. but this morning i wanted to change it, and now i can't either upload a new photo from my files nor link one from the internet! and i don't even have my old pic now :( i hope i made sense and please help. it's sad not to have an avatar...

At the moment you need to use gravatar.

Ran has recently said that the option may be restored in due course, but there are (in the scheme of things) more pressing issues to address.

At the moment you need to use gravatar.

Ran has recently said that the option may be restored in due course, but there are (in the scheme of things) more pressing issues to address.

well, i tried with gravatar but it still isn't working, so i guess i'l just have to keep on trying. still, thanks! :)

What, in KB, is the size constraint? I have attempted several different photos and the message simply says that the image selected is too big (in space, not in physical pixel size). Every other forum I'm on usually has it listed in the same section the information on avatars are, but I haven't seen it thus far.

I've been trying to get my avatar to change since before 10am this morning (Eastern, so about four and a half hours now). I'm using Gravatar. I added and selected the new av at Gravatar, and came back here and tried to change it, and it seems to accept the change but it never changes anywhere except on the photo select dialog.

I asked Ran privately at the time, and he thought it might be a caching issue and I should give it a while and see if it would work itself out, but my display avatar is still the same. Oddly, I can remove the avatar no problem and go back to not having one. If I reselect Gravatar afterwards, even though it shows the correct preview picture, the old one still shows across the board. Any thoughts?

Process-wise, I went to my settings and chose "Change photo." Gravatar was already selected with the correct email populated, but I clicked the radio button anyway and clicked "Done," and then I went down to the bottom of the settings page and clicked "Save changes." I've done this several times now. If anything about this is wrong, I'd love to know.

EDIT: After 8 hours of it not updating, I gave up and linked it to imgur, which apparently is allowed again.

Edited by Inigima

• 2 weeks later...