Rhaegal vs Rhaegel

MatthewF

By mistake I searched the wiki for "Tyion" and to my surprise found one match. It turned out to be a typo, which I fixed, but it gave me the idea to search for name typos. I found a couple of others (and fixed them) and plan to search for others.

However, I ran into a weird one with Rhaegal and Rhaegel. Dany's dragon is definitely named RhaegAl, as I verified in my Kindle copy of ADWD, but there are multiple entries for RhaegEl Targaryen and I don't have The Hedge Knight nor The Mystery Knight.

Can anyone verify that the prince's name is in fact spelled with the second E? The article on Rhaegal indicates that he was named after Dany's brother Rhaegar, but that in itself seems weird if there was in fact a Prince Rhaegal.

If the prince's name is right that's fine, but if not then I can certainly make the change if no one else does (though I don't yet know how the family trees work).

I have checked both on The Sworn Sword and the Mystery Knight. It is unclear what the correct name is: in TSS it is spelled Rhaegal, but in TMK it is written Rhaegel, twice, so it is unlikely a typo. Perhaps Ran, who has seen the full Targaryen family tree might give a conclusive answer.

Oh and here is Rhaegel's entry: http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Rhaegel_Targaryen

I have checked both on The Sworn Sword and the Mystery Knight. It is unclear what the correct name is: in TSS it is spelled Rhaegal, but in TMK it is written Rhaegel, twice, so it is unlikely a typo.

In the Mystery Knight it is Rhaegel as well.

Daenerys dragons were named after her brothers and her husband.

Archived