is version .53 the final one?

Hell no :)

Version .53 is a pre-release alpha, more of a proof-of-concept than anything else. The final version will be a lot more 'complete' as a game. It'll have the Wall, stronger AI, totally reskinned units for everyone and more/different factions (such as the Freys, for example).

When will it be done? Unclear. Much of the donkey work has been done, but what's causing the biggest problems is coding. If they had more coders I think it could be done and out relatively soon (say within months). Otherwise it could still be a lot longer.

• 4 weeks later...

It's possible to move capitals, so the AI must have changed it from Sunspear to Yronwood for some reason. Either that or it was an error with the original alpha.

• 2 weeks later...

The expansion pack Kingdoms is needed to play this, right? and do I need to get the game patched before downloading the Westeros mod?

Looks amazing, after trying and seeing how awful Genesis is I can't wait to try this mod. Is there a date for a new release / updates / patches?

I'm a big time Rome: Total War player and I got Medieval just for this mod. can't wait to try it!

Edited by Tomer

You need Kingdoms and the latest/last patch, yes.

For the latest news check out the forum linked in my sig. Things are moving along nicely now and I think the end is in sight, but it could still be another year depending on how many coders they can recruit to help push the last parts of the mod along.

The expansion pack Kingdoms is needed to play this, right? and do I need to get the game patched before downloading the Westeros mod?

Looks amazing, after trying and seeing how awful Genesis is I can't wait to try this mod. Is there a date for a new release / updates / patches?

I'm a big time Rome: Total War player and I got Medieval just for this mod. can't wait to try it!

What Werthead said.

Meanwhile to pass the time I recommend you play the original Medieval 2 and the Kingdoms expansion, just to be familiar with it, and then try another great mod: Third Age Total War 3.1 which is in Middle-earth.

Thanks for the quick response.

I've already went through that other forum, had a hard time finding myself though. So basically the version that is out is till the prealpha? arnet you guys interested in atleast putting a midversion of the mod so people could have more fun with it at the meantime?

The current version is quite playable. What you want to do is download the current .53 alpha version

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=256115

and the Enhanced Submod

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=477004

Its certainly not complete, there isn't much in the way of custom units, but its still quite fun for a few campaigns.

I cannot launch the game, whenever I try I get "Medieval 2: Total War encountered an unspecified error and will now exit"

This is so irritating, this error showed up in alot of places when I searched for an answer but none gave a fix. any help guys?

Edited by Tomer

Try getting the latest Kingdoms patch.

Are you sure?

It seems that the problem derives from my lack of patching, I am at the second patch (1.0.0.2 I think) but no matter from how many different sources I downloaded the 1.3 patch it wouldnt work, some error about missing data 0. couldnt solve it either.

I havent installed kingdoms yet. should I try the patch anyway or install kingdoms, patch it and then the 1.3 will work?

Kingdoms will auto-patch the game up to its penultimate version. The Kingdoms patch will then bring it fully up to date.

I'm talking about the Medieval II game itself, yeah? not the mod specificly.

I installed and patched kingdoms but still when I try to run medieval 2 it crashes with hte unspecified error thingie. though this time It took a bit longer to crash ( a few seconds), I dont know if it means anything.

Kingdoms is working though, I think something is wrong with the patch on the normal Medieval 2 but each patch I tried downloading didn't work.

Any help? could not find a fix online :/

I've been going for hours trying to find the solution in TWC forums for either problems (unspecified error / 1.03 patch error data_0pack). no success. :(

Edited by Tomer

• 1 month later...

The mod is moving towards closed beta status, which means the end is in sight!

And more awesome news has rolled in. Using the new custom settlements ability, King's Landing will now be a purpose-built location rather than a generic medieval city. It won't be a 1:1 match for the city from the books, but the Red Keep and the Great Sept are in, as are the red walls and the Blackwater Rush (due to no on-map naval combat in Medieval II, we can't quite replicate the Blackwater unfortunately).

Overall, unexpected and awesome news :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...