Most cowardly character(s) of the series?

Melpomene

How is it that 8 pages have gone by and nobody has mentioned Bowen Marsh? That sniveling backstabber whines in every scene he's in in ADwD, and betrays the commander out of fear. He refuses to face the fact that the night watch MUST change the way it's always done things because the the situation with the others has changed.

I'd also like to give an honorable mention to Lommy Greenhands and "All for Joffrey".

Marsh was a brave man in battle but he was broken on the Bridge of Skulls, physically and mentally. Whatever power he might have had to meet the future and its necessities were lost. Also, you're right. It take a different and greater courage to face one's fear and to look at the world as it really is than to fulfilled one's duties to which someone has been trained for and become accustomed to.

Lommy Greenhands death affected me more than any other in ACOK. He was a kid. Kids are allowed to be craven.

Eh, and I still disagree. Not saying that Reek was brave, but more that Theon pre-Reek was cowardly. But that's how I read it. I don't see anything brave about killing two innocent children because you lost your hostages.

Now, he's not the most cowardly character by ANY stretch, and I personally wouldn't have even mentioned him in this thread. :)

Killing the kids wasn't a matter of bravery/cowardice, he just couldn't go back to Winterfell empty handed. It shows his ineptitude IMO, not cowardice. And no Theon wouldn't be on a coward list. But Reek is

not sure what kind of courage you guys speak of (because people behave differently in different situations, the most courages person you know might have dady issues and afraid to face them...)

anyway, reek is not a coward, he is broken, it's what happens to people under torture. "I yield" isnt automaticly means coward, no more than charging like a fool means auto courage and while sam isnt a coward, he is the guy you place far away from the line, to avoid his whining planting the seed of doubt and fear in all those men that are going to die soon.

what about Varamyr Sixskins?

Archived