October is in the Chair: October 2011 Reads

Larry.

I'm reading Gene Wolfe's "Book of the New Sun". I'm almost finished with Shadow of the Torturer. The work is not a fast read. It is challenging, complex, and beautifully written. I'm enjoying it so far.

I love that book! I read the first two a really long time ago, and haven't yet picked up the second half. But, your right, it's definitely not a fast read. I think I could only read 20-25 pages at a time because its so challenging, which makes it the perfect book to read during grad school as I didn't have to worry about getting too sucked in and avoiding my responsibilities.

Finished up The Restoration Game by Ken MacLeod this weekend and almost finished Low Town by Daniel Polansky.

Finally got around to reviewing The Traitor's Daughter by Paula Brandon. New fantasy trilogy from Spectra. (linky). Basically really fantasy debut that I can't for the life of me figure out why Spectra marketed it the way they did.

Starting Shadow's Lure by Jon Sprunk tonight.

Well, after having only given up on one book in the past decade (One Hundred Years of Solitude), I have now given up on my second book in two months... World War Z just wasn't doing it for me - snippets of the zombie apocalypse just weren't grabbing or holding my attention. I read another 40-50 pages from my last post about it, and nothing changed about it in my opinion.

I read Neil Gaiman's October in the Chair, and it was pretty meh.

I'm now about 30% through The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern, and it is wonderful so far - it kind of feels like a cross between The Prestige and Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell.

After that I've decided on God's War by Kameron Hurley, and Chris Wooding's Iron Jackal will follow it.

Reading God's War by Kameron Hurley. Last week I would have said Leviathan Wakes was the best SF I had read all year, but God's War is fantastic. Extremely well written and I love the worlbuilding. Seen a bunch of praise for it, but this is better than I expected.

Just finished Nightwatch by Sergei Lukyanenko. Really enjoyed it. Much better than the movie. I liked the movie, but the book is a lot more philosophical, the plot more complex, and the characters more fully realized (but then, that's the way it usually is between books and movies). I do wonder how different it would have been had it not been written by a Russian who grew up during the Cold War.

Just finished Brandon Sanderson's The Alloy of Law.

It's good, yet it suffers from the exact same shortcomings as the original trilogy. But you gotta love the magic cowboy shootouts! ;)

Check out the blog for the full review. . .

Patrick

Okay, so I lied, I'm not taking a bit of a break before I start the next book in 'my pile.' That book happened to be Vellum, which I had started* reading.... oh three years ago? Well, now, this time is going to go much better than last time!

5 pages later...

Already my eyes are suffering from near constant 'rolling into the back of my head' syndrome. This Hal Duncan guy sure does love his words.

* Started as in, I read like 20 pages.

Okay, so I lied, I'm not taking a bit of a break before I start the next book in 'my pile.' That book happened to be Vellum, which I had started* reading.... oh three years ago? Well, now, this time is going to go much better than last time!

5 pages later...

Already my eyes are suffering from near constant 'rolling into the back of my head' syndrome. This Hal Duncan guy sure does love his words.

* Started as in, I read like 20 pages.

I tried reading this too and couldn't finish it. I didn't get very far either. Duncan just kept getting in the way of the story.

• 1 month later...

Archived