October is in the Chair: October 2011 Reads

Larry.

I'm 2/3s through Turn Coat by Jim Butcher, and should finish that in a couple of days.

My plans for the month include:

World War Z by Max Brooks

A Fine and Private Place by Peter S. Beagle

The Walking Dead issues 49-60 by Kirkman et al

The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

And if I have time something Sci-Fi.

I'm still working on Elantris. I'm still finding it difficult to get in to, but one of the story lines has me curious so I'm going to give it another 100 pages or so before I seriously consider putting it down.

I FINALLY finished KJ Parker's Belly of the Bow (Fencer Trilogy book 2) after taking about a month to read it and stalling everything else, and I'm just relieved to be through it. I really enjoyed the first book, but the second dragged on, and even the event at the end that I think was supposed to be shocking, I really didn't care about by then. I'll finish the third book because that's just the way I am, but I'm truly disappointed in how much I lost interest, especially after hearing so many people talk about how great Parker was. I had kind of the same problem as with Bakker, that personal stories about closely followed protagonists were interspersed with descriptions of so-and-so new commander who's about to die in an account of how some military strategy worked or failed to work. And somewhere between the jumps from one to another, I stopped caring about either.

Although I finished re-reading it in late September, it wasn't until now that I got around to writing a review of Thomas Ligotti's My Work is Not Yet Done. It's not my favorite Ligotti story/collection, but it is up there among those works of his that I have thought most about after completion.

Currently working through The Vor Game by Lois McMaster Bujold. It’s the third part of Young Miles, the omnibus collecting The Warrior’s Apprentice and “Mountains of Mourning” (short story). I also read Cordelia’s Honor. So far I’m liking it well enough. Don’t know just yet how far I’m going to follow Miles. The stories are definitely fun, and I find I’m making good speed, but I’m completely sold just yet.

I’ve also got some serious history waiting on me, to wit Adrian Goldsworthy’s Antony and Cleopatra. I’ve read a lot about Caesar, but oddly enough nary a thing about Antony. Or Cleopatra.

Also rereading The Mystery Knight (I expect to finish it tonight) and then to pick up The Sworn Sword. I’m also thinking about doing a reread of A Dance With Dragons, but I’m not quite sure I’m ready for it yet.

Reading a bunch of stuff at the same time:

- The Crying of Lot 49, Thomas Pynchon

- The Third Reich, Roberto Bolano (in Italian translation)

- This River Awakens, Steven Erikson

- Swann's Way, Marcel Proust

(these odd books have more than one thing in common, which is why I'm reading them together)

While also continuing the second Harry Potter book and Midnight Tides by Steven Erikson. Soon I'll order The Cold Commands by Richard Morgan and some books by Christopher Priest.

The non-Malazan Erikson(Lundin) book is quite amazing. It's interesting how the style seems more honed and powerful compared to Malazan stuff (even if the book precedes GotM by 1 year, so I expected something rougher), yet it's essentially the same. The real world is permeated by the same mythical atmosphere of the Malazan world. The landscapes are heavy with anthropomorphism, everything, living or inanimate, is strongly symbolic. There's atmosphere in spades.

I'd say it works even better than Malazan, since in fantasy you have to make that further leap (and so also feels more remote and detached), while here Erikson writes and describes the real world as it is, but with this strong significance in everything (if one wants to find a flaw it's about being too strong). It shows the world that is hidden in the shadows without relying on calling the supernatural in order to scare you. The demons and monsters are those that always lurk in people's mind. So the surprise is about how this (fantasy) style works perfect and without requiring any adjustment applied to the real world. All blended with very sharp and dramatic characterization (and here again, if one wants to find a flaw is about going to overused themes such as alcoholism, parental issues, domestic violence... as usual Erikson doesn't sugar coat and shows you the ugly end of ugly).

Then also reading a bunch of MINDBLOWING non-fiction. Started from "Godel, Escher, Bach" to other reality-defying works, like "Observing Systems" by Heinz von Foerster. "The Dream of Reality" is another great book (still based on von Foerster). Trying to wrap my head around all this. I noticed Scott Bakker is also on this (there's an article on his site about the world being like a Russian doll). Then I also dabbed on the metaphysics side and read a bit of Castaneda and some books on Hermeticism. If you haven't, give also a look online at that artistic masterpiece that is The Red Book, by Carl G. Jung.

I don't know how one can remain the same reading this stuff.

Just started reading Reality 36 and loving it so far, much better start then Reamde which I could not get going with.

The 2nd chapter with a self-aware cellphone with a cheerful personality trying to wake up a "non-morning-person" girl had me actually LOL'ing for real and sold me on this book...This is AI/human interaction done right, reminded me of the way Iain Banks writes his Culture minds having sarcastic / quirky sense of humor...

Again my favorite way to describe a book or a movie is "what it reminded me / evoked the like vibe" comparation, so here it is, first few chapters of Reality 36 reminded me of:

Feersum Endjinn by Iain Banks

Implied Spaces by Walter Jon Williams

Fifth Element (not sure what, book kind of has simular energy / optimistic vibe / a bit tongue in cheek feel)

IMHO it really is impressive how much Butcher improves over the course of the series.

And incidentally, I think Turn Coat may be my personal favorite of the series. So get busy and read it! smile.gif

Yeah, I finished it today, and that was one damn fine book. I don't know if it's my favorite of the series, but it's definitely up there. Great book, and I liked the little meta moment

when Ebenezer is talking about his journals going all the way back to Merlin, and how Harry should write down some thoughts of his own one day. I was disappointed that it took so long to even mention how Michael fared after the events in Small Favor, and even then it was only one word.

I'm having a helluva time not picking up Changes right now! Must resist, must hold out and preserve remaining books....

I’ve just a few pages left in the third Harry Dresden book.

I think this will be my last of these. I enjoyed the first one well enough, but by now I’m bored.

First, I would have liked this to be detective novels instead. There’s some detecting in the first volume, with Chandleresque tropes. I liked that. But in books 2 and 3, there’s precious little detecting, and a whole lot of wizarding. It is my understanding that the Dresden Files will continue in this direction, with a more and more epic scope. I think that’s a shame.

Second, I don’t understand the power levels or limits of the metaphysics. This means that none of the confrontations or challenges ever get exciting. At any point in the novel, Harry Dresden has the power level required by the plot. No more. No less.

As a reader, I can never evaluate whether this confrontation or that is really dangerous or not… sometimes the wizard has god-like powers of pyrotechnics, transportation, or detection. Other times, not. It feels just like what the Tairy-threads are telling me about Goodkind. Some things are really hard for Harry to figure out, for others he can just ask Bob or cast a spell.

Not only is that very lazy writing, it is monumentally unexciting. Harry is surrounded by 25 vampires. Maybe that’s really dangerous. Or it isn’t; there could be a standard spell or a potion-ex-machina that means that Harry needn’t even break a sweat. I have no idea. Consequently I don’t care.

Use this space to tell me it gets better in book 11 or something.

Jid:

Finished After the Apocalypse, Maureen McHughs new collection of short stories. Man, so good. Short collection, seven stories and around 200 pages, but it was as rewarding as some of the great novels I've read this year

I put that one in my Amazon cart a while ago. Looks interesting, she is renowned for fine shorter work.

HE:

Just wanted to say that your thoughts on internal consistency in a world ring so many bells to me, it is *always* a dealbreaker for me. I have not read Butcher, Storm front is still on my shelf, but I do always hear people say that the first few volumes are not the best and that the series gets better in later volumes. Though of course if you ask me, if you haev already tried 3 books by an author and decided it's not for you anymore, then you have sampled enough.

Yesterday, I finished listening to the third part in Robin Hobb's series The Liveship Traders Trilogy, Ship of Destiny (although it was in Swedish, mind you).

Today, I finished listening to a Jo Salmson story (Jo's a Swedish author).

Tomorrow, I guess I've finally finished reading Liane Merciel's The River Kings' Road.

The rest of the month, I'll probably be reading:

Svavelvinter, by Erik Granström (almost 50% done)

The Thousandfold Thought, by R. Scott Bakker (50% done)

and (when I'm done with the above)

The King of the Crags, by Stephen Deas (130 pages left)

The Dragon's Path, by Daniel Abraham (a few pages in)

House of Chains, by Steven Erikson (a few pages in)

Damn, I'm 60 pages into Erikson's This River Awakens and I'd love to challenge those who say that they "don't care" about Erikson stuff.

This is completely character driven. I haven't felt this from a book since I read The Road by Cormac McCarthy. There's no way that one could read this feeling passive or detached, it just drags you in forcefully. There's also something in the writing style, as there are no decorations and all the small gestures are filled with meaning and feel so "true". Characters more real than life and characterization that is subtle, deep and very powerful (and often brutal).

Also reads like a superb version of Stephen King's IT. Mostly because it share something of that atmosphere and because the book follows four kids treading the countryside (making it their world). If you told me that this came *after* 10 books in the Malazan world I'd totally believe it. It's better.

I would be really curious to hear what both fans and haters think of this book.

Reading The Childrens Book by AS Byatt. It's funny, I know it's meta, I know it's quality, and yet, I just don't care about the characters so it's fairly tough going, though I should love it.

Had to get 3 fillings yesterday, which left me shaken and sorry for myself. HAd to pick up an old favorite to try and cheer myself up, so out came Cordelia's Honour by Lois McMaster Bujold. I do love that author. Every time I read her books I pick up another nuance, another nod or something to make me smile.

Currently rereading (for the 4th time) Wise Man's Fear. Will probably reread White Luck Warrior (if I don't reread Name of the Wind. I'm really on a Rothfuss kick lately.) I'll probably mosey on over to a reread of Dance with Dragons once I drag myself away.

So, yeah, I'm wallowing in some past pleasures.

I read The Submission by Amy Waldmen, one of this fall's notable American mimetic releases. It's the story of a New York selection committee, in an alternate 2003, which chooses "accidentally" a Muslim architect's design for the Ground Zero memorial. Intervowen are several characters in the city - angry family members, grieving widows, politicians, pundits, civil-rights types, and illegals on the margins. Lots of themes here, but Waldmen keeps it insightful and subtle. Her background as the NYTimes South Asian bureau chief shows in her knowledgeable portrait of brown peoples and cultures. The ending is a bit too drawn out, a bit too sentimental, but overall I was impressed. Recommended.

Finally got a chance to finish the Night Circus. It was an extremely enjoyable read, very well written.

Starting Blackdog by K.V Johansen finally. Not far in but I like the setting and is surprisingly well written . Pretty excited about this one.

Archived