Gwendoline Christie as Brienne

kissdbyfire

I think she looks perfect as Brienne. I never really pictured Brienne as a freakish kind of ugly, I see her as more homely ugly, awkward, and very mannish, that is how she looks to me in that screencap. With just the right amount a make up and shading tricks you can transform a pretty lady into an ugly one without overdoing it. I am more interested in seeing how she plays Brienne's tough exterior/soft interior than anything. Plus I am just excited to start seeing some more warrior type kick ass female characters!

I agree. The way GRRM described her gave me the impression that she just had very, very masculine features, like a strong jaw, broad shoulders, and more muscles than female curves, maybe a really tan face because she spends more time practicing swordplay than staying inside doing ladylike things. GRRM never said that she had a disfigured face like Charlize Theron had in Monster--I feel like if she was that ugly he would've made it clear that her face was seriously disfigured. (For instance Tyrion isn't described as just "ugly"--he's a dwarf with a jutting brow, mismatched eyes, and missing half his nose--GRRM's quite specific when describing freakishly ugly characters in making it known exactly why they're soooo ugly)

Brienne is ugly in the sense that she doesn't have the delicate features that Cersei and Sansa has. I also don't think she really pays as much attention to her appearance as Cersei or Sansa, so it's not improbable that she has some skin problems. So as long as she doesn't have a seriously disfigured Monster-esque face, and has a more feminine build, I think, with proper care, any woman can look at least "attractive", if not "devastatingly beautiful."

That being said I'm excited to see how Christie's going to portray Brienne and her inner vulnerability/outer toughness :)

Can season 2 of GoT come sooner pleez? :rolleyes:

By the by it sure would be interesting if Brienne and Arya were to meet each other.

I don't know why but me thinks Arya is going to return her training and become a sword-master par excellence.

Arya is no longer naive , put a few years on her and she will be be 'street wise', well heck she already is.

I think they would hit it off.

Lord knows I don't know how this would fit in the story?

I love the pictures I've seen of her so far as Brienne. I had a good feeling about the Brienne casting, and I think she's going to knock the role out of the park. I don't think they could have found a better person to match her: her towering height, the training she's undergoing and the bulky armor she'll be wearing, her fair hair and blue eyes matching Brienne's description from the book. Hopefully she'll be a good enough actress to do the part justice as I haven't seen her in anything, but physically speaking, I think HBO found the best person to match the part. There isn't actually a huge pool of 6 foot 5 inch tall actresses in the first place. ;)

That is a good example.

I tried look close at Robin Weigert to see if I could spot any special prosthetics or make up, it look minimal to me, off screen Weigert looked like an attractive woman.

When I was watching season two of Sons of Anarchy I was actively looking for her because here name showed up in the credits. It still took me about three episodes to identify her as SAMCRO's new lawyer.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ok people, is she ugly enough? :P You could never tell from her on-set pictures that she's a model. Awesome job! I am so curious as to her mannerisms, how she talks and acts....that will definitely make or break her. She's a tough role to fill!

Ok people, is she ugly enough? :P You could never tell from her on-set pictures that she's a model. Awesome job! I am so curious as to her mannerisms, how she talks and acts....that will definitely make or break her. She's a tough role to fill!

I think she looks better than any drawing or painting I have seen of her.

George is not that detailed about physical description , it always kind of generalized. I know the producers had to find 'analog' actors for the show , but I think they have a genius for realizing a character, even when I had a picture in my mind , across a novel, thought they trumped my vision each time.

Gwendoline Christie as Brienne is kinda 'masculine-homly' without being a freak, that's the right touch.

Brienne is such an interesting character, usually our action heroines are athletic enough but look as if they would be more comfortable on a fashion runway.

Methinks Christie will rise to the challenge since it's the inside character that's so interesting.

As trivia , I know Christie is 6'3" , but with just a little bit of lifters in her boots she could be 6'5'', which would really make her stand out.

George has indicated Brienne stands taller than 6 but less than 7, so 6 5 would be nice.

Sure I remember! Good example, by the way. I know it can be done. My concern is, will it be done?

On one hand, I think there is a tendency in American television/cinema to pretty up everything. On the other hand, HBO is a lot more gutsy than anyone else making TV in the US. Also, David Benioff and D.B. Weiss clearly know very well what they are doing... I don't know, I think it is just something I've been thinking about a lot. Because it is so important, in my opinion. If they don't make Gwendoline ugly, Brienne becomes a 6 ft blonde top model, and that would just ruin everything pertaining to the character.

Hia L. An awesome photo of Brienne is on the site today. what do you think?

Hia L. An awesome photo of Brienne is on the site today. what do you think?

I think she's going to rock BIG TIME! And Stephen Dillane, Liam Cunningham, Carice van Houten, Rose Leslie, Roy Dotrice, Robert Pugh, Patrick Malahide, Michael McElhatton... I just can't wait for it to start!

I think she's going to rock BIG TIME! And Stephen Dillane, Liam Cunningham, Carice van Houten, Rose Leslie, Roy Dotrice, Robert Pugh, Patrick Malahide, Michael McElhatton... I just can't wait for it to start!

The casting has been outstanding - rock on the 2nd or April when we get it in the UK.

I think she looks better than any drawing or painting I have seen of her.

George is not that detailed about physical description , it always kind of generalized. I know the producers had to find 'analog' actors for the show , but I think they have a genius for realizing a character, even when I had a picture in my mind , across a novel, thought they trumped my vision each time.

Gwendoline Christie as Brienne is kinda 'masculine-homly' without being a freak, that's the right touch.

Brienne is such an interesting character, usually our action heroines are athletic enough but look as if they would be more comfortable on a fashion runway.

Methinks Christie will rise to the challenge since it's the inside character that's so interesting.

As trivia , I know Christie is 6'3" , but with just a little bit of lifters in her boots she could be 6'5'', which would really make her stand out.

George has indicated Brienne stands taller than 6 but less than 7, so 6 5 would be nice.

Jamie did refer to her as a "cow" several times, if I recall, at least until he grew to respect her more. That implies she's thick/muscular.

I had pictured Brienne along the lines of MMA fighter Gabrielle Garcia (6'3" 240 pounds or so) than Gwendolyn Christie. However, Christie does look pretty good in the role, and I doubt there are many actresses as big & thick as Garcia.

(some pics here: http://womenprofile.blogspot.com/2010/11/gabrielle-garcia.html )

Archived