Small Questions XII

Stubby

The Council of the Faith is seven holy septons who kinda act as a supreme court. Cersia's trail was to be held before them and there judgement is finale, why she went with a trail by combat.

Do you have a source for this? The seven judges sounds more like a jury appointed per trial.

Do you have a source for this? The seven judges sounds more like a jury appointed per trial.

I believe the High Septon briefly refers to it when Cersei visits Margaery. This is right before he has her arrested. And the seven judges are actually supposed to be four septons and three septas.

Why in GoT is Ned so uneased at jaimie seating on the throne after the death of Aerys. Jaimie doesn,t want to be king. so why Ned has been preoccupied by it for years after like 13-14 years? can any one explain it to me?

It's the principle: By sitting on the throne, Jaime is usurping the prerogative of the king, because there is no king atm, he is essentially claiming the crown for himself, even if this wasn't his intent. It irks Ned even more so because Robert is his friend, and Jaime was usurping Robert's right.

I believe the High Septon briefly refers to it when Cersei visits Margaery. This is right before he has her arrested. And the seven judges are actually supposed to be four septons and three septas.

It's the principle: By sitting on the throne, Jaime is usurping the prerogative of the king, because there is no king atm, he is essentially claiming the crown for himself, even if this wasn't his intent. It irks Ned even more so because Robert is his friend, and Jaime was usurping Robert's right.

Thank you so much!

Yes, I remember the passage, I just thought he was describing a jury for a trial rather than a "Council of Faith" that could annul marriages.

Im quite slow with these books and ive missed so much, will reading the dunk and egg tales help me understand more?

If you want to, I did not read and have not yet read Dunk and Egg tales. The books tell us about them and every thing I needed to find about them , I looked it up in the forum or google it.

Enjoy the reading !!!

The Tales of Dunk & Egg can give you a bit of information on past events or some characters' identities but nothing crucial is divulged so it's not a pre-requisite. They're very enjoyable though, give it a try if you have the time ! (there's also comic book versions I believe).

Do we know what happened to the bodies of Aerys, Rhaegar, Elia, and Rhaegar's children? I know Targaryn tradition was to be burned, but with Robert hating them as much as he did I'm not sure if he would honor his enemies' traditions.

I'm curious about this too. Anyone a idea??

I think that Elia and her children's bodies were sent to Dorne to receive any burial that Doran chosed appropriate, since itwouldn't be wise to shock and displease the powerful prince and his kingdom more than it was ( they had murdered and raped three innocents, but it would be unproper not to give them back to their kins, a little like Achille, Priam and Hector's body in Iliad). Don't know about the other bodies, just that Rhaella's should be included ( she died shortly after the war's end, didn't she?)

Im quite slow with these books and ive missed so much, will reading the dunk and egg tales help me understand more?

I'm doing a re-read and I've found something that helps me tremendously. On the inside front cover and 1st page, I label each chapter and write a quick summery. Like I am in AFFC right now and wrote "Jaime, pg 800: Chat w/Edmund at RR "(riverrun). So if Jaime doesn't have another chapter for 200 pages, I quickly look back to what I wrote about his last chapter to refresh my memory of where he is and what he's doing.

Important passages and things I write on the back inside cover with their page number and a little note. I have written : Faceless man history, page 458, Children of the Forest info, page 114, Cersai's plan for Jon, pg 355, etc .Of course, I highlight the book like a mad woman. My books are not pristine anymore. They are a bloody mess LOL!

Rhaegar's body was cremated, in accordance with Targaryen tradition. Presumably the same happened to Aerys' body. Don't know what happened to Rhaella's body, though, given that it was left in the hands of the garrison on Dragonstone that was planning on betraying Viserys and Daenerys to Robert.

I see a lot of talk through out the forum saying that Aegon is not a real Targaryan. I'm not completely convince that he is, or isn't, but I didn't see anything in the books that makes me think he is an imposter. Is this coming from something in the text or maybe the Dunk and Egg books or the comics? I have only read the five novels.

Some things that could indicate Aegon not being a real Targaryen :

- Silver-blonde hair and purple eyes isn't so rare, a lot of prostitutes in Lys have the same coloring (presumably from Aegon IV sleeping around so much, or just plain Old Valyrian blood) so having the right coloring doesn't make him a Targaryen automatically. The Daynes have purple eyes, the Velaryons (I'm not sure about the name) are also proud of their Targaryen blood etc.

- The prophecy in the House of the Undying and Quaithe both mention a "mummer's dragon" which could indicate his being a fake (or merely Varys' pawn as I tend to think).

I forgot about the mummer's dragon. Very good point! Also, why do some think that Tyrion is not Tywin's biological son?

I think it is because Tywin used to say somthing along the lines: "I cannot prove you are not my son", so clearly he himself does not believe it. And there is the fact that Aerys took some "liberties" with Joanna when Tywin and Joanna were married, so some believe he raped her. Maybe there are other clues, I do not remember at the moment.

Some people also think that Jaime and Cersei are children of Aerys (incest and obsession with fire clearly being recognisable Targaryen features).

Archived