Small Questions XII

Stubby

No, I didn't recall anything either.

When I saw that, I was wondering if I'd missed some other back story.

Going back for a re-read on everything now that I have more time. :)

I've asked for a clarification from the poster who originally brought this up in the fake Aegon thread, in case you're curious.

Aside from the Manderlys who came from the south, the Northerners aren't involved in the southern chivalry so much. They don't much care if someone is a knight or not. Ned Stark, for example, does not bother getting knighted. But some of his men are knighted and some of them would like to be knighted. The now dead Alyn of Winterfell comes to mind, a minor character who is sent in AGOT to track down the Mountain, proves himself by rallying the ambushed men along with Thoros of Myr, but who gets killed while part of the BWOB. They mention that he wanted to be a knight.

Aside from the Manderlys who came from the south, the Northerners aren't involved in the southern chivalry so much. They don't much care if someone is a knight or not. Ned Stark, for example, does not bother getting knighted. But some of his men are knighted and some of them would like to be knighted. The now dead Alyn of Winterfell comes to mind, a minor character who is sent in AGOT to track down the Mountain, proves himself by rallying the ambushed men along with Thoros of Myr, but who gets killed while part of the BWOB. They mention that he wanted to be a knight.

Knighthood in aSoIaF is tied to the Seven, not to the Old Gods. Therefore, the majority of the Northerners are not knights (There was a line about that in aGoT.) Of course, once the men went south, it is nice to have a title that people respect - so they might want to be knighted.

A question, (and I apologize if this has been covered, but I just saw this mentioned on another post).

Someone posted that Roberts hatred of Rhaegar went further back than the rebellion, though in what I've read, everyone seems fairly amicable at the Tourney with Robert boasting he would find the TKOTLT for Aerys.

They were cousins, with his Grandmother being a Targ.

If this is true, when did Robert start hating Rhaegar?

Did he see something at the Tourney of Harrenhal that made him angry, (i.e.,Rhaegar flirting openly with Lyanna)?

I'd always wondered at this anyway, since Lyanna and Robert were supposedly at the Tourney unless they were not Betrothed yet, (though still it's stated that Robert loved her from afar).

???

I assume once Rhaegar named Lyanna the Queen of Love and Beauty Robert probably got very jealous and he might have started hating him then, though I don't think it was actually mentioned in the the books that Robert's hatred began then so maybe the poster was making the same assumption I did

Why is that I seem to recall a character from the North saying that there aren't knights up there because they follow the old gods, yet we have SER Rodrik Cassel and SER Jorah Mormont?

Ser Jorah was knighted by King Robert during Balon's Reballion. Jorah mentions he was the 2nd man over the walls, behind Thoros of Myr. I think its one of those things where if you just won a battle and the king offers to knight you why would you say no?

I don't remember reading why/or when Ser Rodrick was knighted, but I would wager it came during Robert's Rebellion or Balon's Rebellion under similar circumstances to Ser Jorah

To #1, along with/to add on to what everyone else has said, it's supposed to be symbolic. The mother of the baby direwolves is found with the antler of a stag lodged into its throat. Silly Ned ignores this sign and goes South anyway.

I would assume after having read Dance that Bloodraven warged into the wolf and went south of the wall

I assume once Rhaegar named Lyanna the Queen of Love and Beauty Robert probably got very jealous and he might have started hating him then, though I don't think it was actually mentioned in the the books that Robert's hatred began then so maybe the poster was making the same assumption I did

Well that is a point.

Though the only reaction, or POV you get is Neds, you can pretty much bet that Robert would NOT have been happy.

The Stark boys may have decided it was best to pack Lyanna up, and send her home that very day.

Archived