Small Questions XII

Stubby

Some people think so, but really, there's not enough for it to be conclusive one way or the other. The interaction with Jaime is far too brief, though her lie about the Hound is fishy.

I think it is zombie Brienne- Thoros seemed to like her well enough.

Also I felt strongly enough about this that I sent an email reminder that the undead seem to retain their human qualities and it would be out of character for zombie Brienne to do something unchivalrous or dishonorable

ok, here's a question I'm ashamed to ask and couldn't find the answer. When Lady Stoneheart met Brienne she hanged her and then Brienne screamed something blah blah blah. Next scene and Brienne asks Jamie to follow her, possibly to turn him in to UnCat. Regarding the feelings that our good maiden of Tarth had for Jaime (and therefore we assume that wouldn't harm him) is there any possibility that Brienne is UnBrienne due to all this fire-kissing-bring-back-dead situation?

there is, but i think that the rope Brienne was hanging from was cut down before she died.

Very unlikely. Howland completely lacks the necessary skills. It would also be rather incongruous for him to be beaten up by some squires, then sort it out by beating their masters in the joust later. Ned is too big, most likely. Only Benjen and Lyanna could fit that we know of, and Benjen really lacks motivation, character evidence and story-fit, whereas Lyanna has everything. The booming voice is obviously to disguise her normal feminine voice.

since Ned and Howland Reed were the only survivors of a pitched battle with some very notable knights I get the idea he was a pretty damn good fighter.

Also if it werent Howland Reed - Ned's best friend probably - why would his kids be telling the story of the Stark-Reed friendship origin?

Very unlikely. Howland completely lacks the necessary skills. It would also be rather incongruous for him to be beaten up by some squires, then sort it out by beating their masters in the joust later. Ned is too big, most likely. Only Benjen and Lyanna could fit that we know of, and Benjen really lacks motivation, character evidence and story-fit, whereas Lyanna has everything. The booming voice is obviously to disguise her normal feminine voice.

ALso since Ned and Howland Reed were the only survivors of a pitched battle with some very notable knights I get the idea he was a pretty damn good fighter.

Also if it werent Howland Reed - Ned's best friend probably - why would his kids be telling the story of the Stark-Reed friendship origin?

Sorry for taking up 2 posts - hit the wrong button

since Ned and Howland Reed were the only survivors of a pitched battle with some very notable knights I get the idea he was a pretty damn good fighter.

The Reeds explicitly state that the little crannogmen didn't know much about jousting or even riding horses. This makes it highly unlikely that he would be able to defeat three trained knights at jousting.

I don't understand your question. Howland Reed doesn't have to be the KotLT in order to justify the fact that the Reeds are telling the story.

I believe that the Reeds are telling the story because they feel grateful to the Starks for taking their father's side and sending home during the tourney the knights that offended him. And my initial thought was that Howland Reed believed Ned Stark as KoTL and that's why he sent his children to help Ned's kids. But it would be the same way whether KoLT was Ned or Lyanna. And maybe he sent the wise Jojen because he knows something about Jon Snow as well....

Why is Tommen 8 in the TV show? I mean, he is 8 in the book but so is Bran, and Bran and everyone else are 2 years older in the show…im kind of lost

I still dont get is Myrcella 9 like she is supposed to be in the books or they made her older too? cause Aimee looks older than 9, she looks 11-12. i am kind of lost with this book/Tv show age difference

is there a thread about these age questiones? thanks

The Reeds explicitly state that the little crannogmen didn't know much about jousting or even riding horses. This makes it highly unlikely that he would be able to defeat three trained knights at jousting. I don't understand your question. Howland Reed doesn't have to be the KotLT in order to justify the fact that the Reeds are telling the story.

Still not explaining Howland Reed's fighting prowess. Of course Meera was pretty handy with the net and spear. And of course he was successful with his jousting because Good was on his side. Of course even Cinderella just had the one day, so he vanished before the finals.

Why is Tommen 8 in the TV show? I mean, he is 8 in the book but so is Bran, and Bran and everyone else are 2 years older in the show…im kind of lost

I still dont get is Myrcella 9 like she is supposed to be in the books or they made her older too? cause Aimee looks older than 9, she looks 11-12. i am kind of lost with this book/Tv show age difference

I don't have the slightest idea, plus I'm new here and I don't know where you could find an answer to that but this part of the forum seems more suitable to me. BTW that was an annoying change in the series, especially in case of Rickon...

What did Brienne say as she was hung? After cudgeling my brain I am thinking "Sansa" - which then either saved her actual life or allowed Thoros to revive her. Going out on a limb

In the book GRRM writes that Brienne called out a word when she was hanged. That could suggest that she did not call out a name.

Still not explaining Howland Reed's fighting prowess.

Explain what? I said that Howland Reed was not a good jouster. That's all that really needed to be said.

Of course Meera was pretty handy with the net and spear. And of course he was successful with his jousting because Good was on his side. Of course even Cinderella just had the one day, so he vanished before the finals.

Are you really arguing that Howland could have suddenly become a great jouster simply because he had "Good" on his side? Or are you being tongue-in-cheek?

Don't know if its already been asked, but how long is a moon's turn?

28 days in our world. I assume it is the same in Westerosi world.

I am a little confused by the Pate thing.. i know he is talked about and has to do with the Faceless Men.. can anyone clear me up pls

The Alchemist Pate meets in the AFFC prologue is a faceless man. He kills Pate and disguises himself as Pate so that he can infitrate into the Citadel (we do not know why exactly). The Pate Sammy meets at the end of AFFC is the Faceless Man disguised as Pate.

The explaination is magical. I believe GRRM said we'd find out about the seasons in the last book or so.

It has something to do with the fact that the dragons died off, so the winter's became longer and the Others/White Walkers were awakened, the seasons are linked with magic, so when you think about it, the maesters in the Citadel are condeming the world to really long/permenant winters by attempting to get rid of all magic in the world, as seen at the end of AFFC.

Having recently seen scenes from both the first and the last Harry Potter movies, I'm willing to believe that HBO chose to take its chances with younger actors in order to offset the incredible rate at which children grow and the challenges that result for TV series. The revival of Battlestar Galactica let go of a child character for that reason (among others). "Lost" also had some problems with its child character (Michael's son, IIRC).

28 days in our world. I assume it is the same in Westerosi world.

The Alchemist Pate meets in the AFFC prologue is a faceless man. He kills Pate and disguises himself as Pate so that he can infitrate into the Citadel (we do not know why exactly). The Pate Sammy meets at the end of AFFC is the Faceless Man disguised as Pate.

I interpreted this actually as Sam arriving before the Pate incident. As GRRM says, he has a lot of overlap time-wise.

But as I have learned you never know

Explain what? I said that Howland Reed was not a good jouster. That's all that really needed to be said.

Are you really arguing that Howland could have suddenly become a great jouster simply because he had "Good" on his side? Or are you being tongue-in-cheek?

THere are stories in the books about ordinary knights jousting well when properly inspired.

Sure, why not? And where is it said that Howland Reed couldnt joust? Crannogmen in general may not, but who knows what went on with the green men.

Marie

I interpreted this actually as Sam arriving before the Pate incident. As GRRM says, he has a lot of overlap time-wise.

But as I have learned you never know

I never heard of this theory. Maybe you are right, we never know, but I would rather believe Sammy arrives later. Sure there is a lot of overlap, but I do not think something from the beginning happens after the end. If it did, it would make more sense to rename the Prologue into Epilogue and put it to the end - surely Prologue in Prologue because it happens before other things. And Sammy is never mentioned in the Prologue, indicating that he has not appeared in Oldtown yet (or his schoolmates simply chose not to talk about him, but GRRM would make them do that if it were important).

Archived