Small Questions XII

Stubby

Thanks! I like the idea that Howland Reed got a hold of them.

I'll try my luck again -

I'm looking for a quote, I'm 90% sure it's Tyrion's POV. The narrator describes Sansa as beautiful and then comments that her sadness/sorrow/fear/melancholy has only made her more beautiful/comely/attractive or something like that.

I thought it was a great quote and really painted a in interesting picture of Sansa, despite not saying much about her physical appearance.

I think it's after her marriage, so I believe it's from ASOS, but I suppose it could also be from ACOK. I have a searchable eBook of ASOS but wasn't able to find it. Anyone know where to find it off the top of their head?

Chapter 60 of ASOS, Tyrion VIII (between Sansa IV and Sansa V). Shortly after position 50672 in my 4-book kindle bundle.

"Their litter had been sitting in the sun (...) She is just as comely as the Tyrell girl. Her hair was a rich autumn auburn, her eyes a deep Tully blue. Grief had given her a haunted, vulnerable look; if anything, it had only made her more beautiful. (...)"

It is the chapter where something REALLY IMPORTANT happens. And that paragraph is placed about 1/7 of the way from the start of the chapter, I would wager circa page 671 in the Bantam HC edition.

Aint read them yet either but i know that egg is maester aamons bro and dunc is ser duncan the tall from old nan's stories. Blood raven the three eye crow is in there too and something catastrophic happens in a place called summer hall which is mentioned in an Arya pov.

Heh, there's a guy above you who already answered the questions without giving away ANY spoilers, and you just gave him ALL the spoilers! Why'd you do that???

Apparently, and this is in AGOT, Robert sent Ned to tie up a lot of the major battles that were still going on after the Trident had been won -- go to KL, make sure everything's all right there, go to Storm's End, make sure Tyrell and Redwyne have dipped their banners...and then, vaguely, Ned "still had some business in the south" that he had to attend to. That's as far as the book goes. it says something, though, that he takes 7 warrior companions (almost like a trial of seven, now that I think on it, although I'm sure that wasn't his purpose).

When he arrived, he said that he was surprised not to see LC Gerold Hightower, Arthur Dayne, and Oswell Whent at the Trident, nor guarding the King, nor at Storm's End. I personally believe Lyanna must have sent him a note, telling him where to find her, and that's about as far as I can safely assume.

P.S. The other six with Ned were Martyn Cassel, Howland Reed, Willam Dustin, Ethan Glover, Theo Wull, and Mark Ryswell. In case youz was interested. Btw, I'm new to the forum, I LOVE this series, and I can't wait to not only debate some of the topics, but put forward a couple of my own theories! :-D

My bet is Howland Reed intercepted them on the way from Riverrun to Winterfell. At least, I hope so.

I went back to reread the part in ADWD with Barbrey Dustin. She's in the crypt at Winterfell reminiscing about Brandon and the other Starks when the conversation turns to Eddard's bones.

In the passage she says, "but I promise you, Lord Eddard’s bones will never rest beside hers. I mean to feed them to my dogs.”

Her lips twisted. “Catelyn Tully dispatched Lord Eddard’s bones north before the Red Wedding, but your iron uncle seized Moat Cailin

and closed the way. I have been watching ever since. Should those bones ever emerge from the swamps, they will get no farther than Barrowton.”

It's her hatred of Catelyn and the other Starks that motivates her into wanting Eddard's bones not to lay at rest.

P.S. The other six with Ned were Martyn Cassel, Howland Reed, Willam Dustin, Ethan Glover, Theo Wull, and Mark Ryswell.

Yet another reason Barbrey Dustin isn't a fan of the Starks. After losing Brandon to Catelyn, then losing Ned to her, too, she was amrried off to Willam Dustin, who, within a year was riding off to war with Ned when he called the banners for Robert's rebellion. He never came back from the Tower of Joy and she resented Ned for burying him in Dorne, while bringing Lyanna's bones back to WInterfell.

She's one angry lady.

Apologies for starting a full thread for this earlier, I'd forgotten that this topic existed. In ACOK, how does Dany come to realise that she's in danger in the House of the Undying? I've returned my library copy so I can't re-read the section.

I think she became wary when she got a look at the real state of the Undying just before the last sequence of visions started.

Then the reaching, tugging and clawing in her 'Mother!~Breaker of Chains' vision made her apprehensive even in her 'dream state'. She snapped out of it due to the intervention of Drogon revealing to her that it was the Undying doing the actual clawing and tugging and not the masses in her last vision.

What exactly does "shipping" mean and what's the evolution behind idiom?

I get that someone who believes San/San will "ship" believes that they will end up in a romantic relationship somehow... but what are the specifics and why do people use that phrase?

What exactly does "shipping" mean and what's the evolution behind idiom?

I get that someone who believes San/San will "ship" believes that they will end up in a romantic relationship somehow... but what are the specifics and why do people use that phrase?

It's just short for 'relationship', the romantic kind is implied of course, so instead of saying you're pushing for a Frodo and Sam relationship, you just say you're shipping Frodo and Sam.

Archived