Small Questions XII

Stubby

Who had Jon Arryn murdered and why did they do it?

Was it Littlefinger?

It was done by Lysa (she gave him poison), who followed Littlefinger's instructions. It is revealed in the last Sansa's chapter in ASOS.

Why? Because she hated him and hated the fact that she must be married to him. She was obsessed with Littlefinger and believed he will marry her once Jon Arryn is gone (which he did, but not for love as she believed).

The whole detective work done by Eddard in AGOT (Lysa accusing the Lannisters, ser Gregor killing ser Hugh, ser Hugh being knighted so quickly after Arryn's death, the twincest) is a red herring.

It was done by Lysa (she gave him poison), who followed Littlefinger's instructions. It is revealed in the last Sansa's chapter in ASOS.

Why? Because she hated him and hated the fact that she must be married to him. She was obsessed with Littlefinger and believed he will marry her once Jon Arryn is gone (which he did, but not for love as she believed).

Also, Jon Arryn was planning on sending their son away to Dragonstone, which Lysa simply could not accept. Killing Jon put an end to that.

I'm about to begin the Dunk and Egg series and I'm curious whether the two characters are of any historical importance in Westeros? I gather "Dunk" is short for Duncan and "Egg" is short for Aegon, thus making him a Targaryan of some sort.

If you can try and answer who they are without giving away too much of the plot, it would be appreciated. If it can't be done, then fine.

It helps to explain Brynden Rivers....

Also, Jon Arryn was planning on sending their son away to Dragonstone, which Lysa simply could not accept. Killing Jon put an end to that.

I thought that that was an impetus for LF, not Lysa. Littlefinger knew he could not touch Stannis, and if Stannis controlled the heir to the Vale, Littlefinger's plan to take over as Lord Protector would not work.

I thought that that was an impetus for LF, not Lysa. Littlefinger knew he could not touch Stannis, and if Stannis controlled the heir to the Vale, Littlefinger's plan to take over as Lord Protector would not work.

I don't recall that, but I don't see why the two ideas are mutually exclusive.

I don't recall that, but I don't see why the two ideas are mutually exclusive.

I'll check the books tomorrow, but I seem to definitely remember it being mentioned as LF.

ETA: Now that I think about it, I also seem to remember Lysa saying something to the effect of them taking away her baby.

The whole detective work done by Eddard in AGOT (Lysa accusing the Lannisters, ser Gregor killing ser Hugh, ser Hugh being knighted so quickly after Arryn's death, the twincest) is a red herring.

I think Jon A's murder by his wife was more motivated by the fact that he planned to foster her son to another House. This subject keeps on being brought up in GoT and is a neon hint to the reader about the problems trusting Lysa's word.

Lysa wanted to keep her sick son with her at all cost - and she was even determined to kill for it. If she killed Jon then she would have no authority but her own to content with. She could do as she pleased without a husband.

Is there any mention that Sam, after he has joined the wall and found friends and a steward post that please him, eats more than the others? I ask this because I think that his weight is due to hyperphagia, a troubli like anorexia and boulimia (you destroy yourself, using food,because you're depressed and/or under massive stress)...

The "Stinky Steward" the Selaesori Qhoran I would think is also the "perfumed seneschal" - if so it must mean her passengers as the ship itself is now flinders. But which ones?

Also before the hurricane Moqorro saw the tall and twisted thing with one black eye and ten long arms sailing on a sea of blood seeking Daenerys - Euron Crow's Eye or Victarion his lieutenant I presume.

Tyrion is mentioned several times as a small man casting a giant shadow, or merely a giant, by people who ought to know. No question here, I just like to think about it.

Who had Jon Arryn murdered and why did they do it?

Was it Littlefinger?

Little finger used Lysa to do it but I dont think it was his or her idea. The threat of RObert going off to Casterly Rock or Dragonstone no doubt helped him manipulate her. But why did Littlefinger do it? It had to be because Jon Arryn had discovered the Jaime-Cersei secret. That has been shown to be, not a red herring, but a powerful secret, leading to Ned Stark's death (helped along by Littlefinger) and Stannis' rise and still haunts the series. It is also known that except for Targaryens, incest is an abomination. So Littlefinger figured it out for himself and led Jon Arryn down that path, Arryn figured it out for himself, Pycelle twigged to it first and let others know (after all he took charge of Arryn's care at the end and was a queen's man - Jon as Robert's fosterer would definitely NOT be) or sth else.

Why did Little finger make this happen? To have something else owed to him by the Lannisters. Lysa thought it was all her idea and it would be just like Littlefinger to have her blame the Lannisters falsely (she thought) but truly (in reality). He had to lead Ned Stark down the same path and off him for the same reason - to show Cersei he would actively help keep the secret. Note: Pycelle helped with that as well.

Is there a timeline of the seasons? I really want to look at a timeline of seasons that I can overlay with the timeline of historical events to determine, for example, what season Robert's Rebellion happened in and what season Sansa was born in.

I know the tourney at Harrenhal was in the year of the false spring, so I'm assuming that was still winter. We had a 10 (?) year summer, and I'm not sure how long Fall was (a year?), and now we're at winter.

If someone could link me to such a timeline, I would really appreciate it.

I don't think there is a timeline of seasons. I'm not sure if they've mentioned how many winters there were between Robert's rebellion and present. I know, for instance, Tyrion says he's seen 8 or something winters but how many were before and after?

Sansa was born most likely at the end of the last winter.

Do we ever find out what was up with the old Garth the Gardener coin they found in the dungeons (don't remember specifically where) in AFFC?

I think we are meant to assume that Varys left it there to make Cersei suspicious of the Tyrells.

I am idiort

OMFG it IS Sandor on the Quiet Isle. Huge and lame. That priest is a sneaky one - grabbing Brienne right away when she says she wants to kill him and giving her deceptive info. Well the "Hound" is truly dead - in other words, Sandor is getting some redemption. Apologies to whoever I disagreed with

I don't think there is a timeline of seasons. I'm not sure if they've mentioned how many winters there were between Robert's rebellion and present. I know, for instance, Tyrion says he's seen 8 or something winters but how many were before and after?

Sansa was born most likely at the end of the last winter.

Has anyone figured out the astronomy behind the disconnect between seasons and years? Is there some sort of orbiting dust cloud or a second Sun (presumably a dark one) or a dense asteroid complicating things, some weirdness of the planet?

Archived