Small Questions XII

Stubby

Why di Varys' voice get deeper when he talked to Kevan Lannister. My hunch is that it means he was being honest with his emotions so he did actualy feel bad about shooting Kevan and he

does want "Aegon" to rule because he has been trained to rule.

Because that was his natural voice. His normal voice is an act.

Attempted to search for this but couldn't find anything:

In A Game Of Thrones Catelyn VII, just before Bronn fights Ser Vardis in Tyrion's trial by combat, what is being implied by Maester Colemon's belief that Robert Arryn was due to be fostered on Dragonstone, as opposed to Catelyn's belief that it was Casterly Rock? I can't recall where or who it was that told Catelyn this, I thought possibly someone had intentionally told one or both of them the wrong thing as part of some larger plot........or it could just be nothing.

Attempted to search for this but couldn't find anything:

In A Game Of Thrones Catelyn VII, just before Bronn fights Ser Vardis in Tyrion's trial by combat, what is being implied by Maester Colemon's belief that Robert Arryn was due to be fostered on Dragonstone, as opposed to Catelyn's belief that it was Casterly Rock? I can't recall where or who it was that told Catelyn this, I thought possibly someone had intentionally told one or both of them the wrong thing as part of some larger plot........or it could just be nothing.

I believe it's a hint at something.

Spoilers for ASoS:

Jon Arryn's plans to send his son away to Dragonstone is the impetus for his murder. It motivates Littlefinger to act before Robert Arryn is out of his and Lysa's control, and it motivates Lysa to get rid of Jon so that he can't take her son away from her.

Catelyn's conversation with Coleman isn't the first time this info is brought up, nor is it the last. Someone mentions this to Ned in one of his chapters, and Walder Frey mentions it to Catelyn toward the end of the book.

In Tyrion's trail by battle, The Mountain fought for the royal family and he was not a Kingsguard. But Cersei waited for a space in Kingsguard to get Robert Strong in white cloak. Why the hell they didn't give damn about "kingsguard protects the kings honour" thing in Tyrion's case?

Because that rule only applies when the queen herself is the accused, which was obviously not the case in Tyrion's trial.

In Tyrion's trail by battle, The Mountain fought for the royal family and he was not a Kingsguard. But Cersei waited for a space in Kingsguard to get Robert Strong in white cloak. Why the hell they didn't give damn about "kingsguard protects the kings honour" thing in Tyrion's case?

Cersei Lannister tries to manipulate the Faith by accusing Margaery Tyrelle and then "reminding" the High Septon that she must be championed by the King's guard for a trial by combat, knowing that the only members available are old and no longer good fighters. Tyrion is not actually a member of the royal family, no one cares much about what he wants, and his Dad is mostly running things by that time, not a seemingly gullible high septon.

@dragonfish Thanks, that's very helpful. I'm attempting a re-read in which nothing escapes my attention, so I've had the Wiki to hand to check all my knowledge. So I undoubtedly will have more questions.

Adds yet another level of misery to the book in a way, just reminds me that GOT is essentially the story of a protagonist trying to solve a mystery. He solves one (Arryn's death) incorrectly, doesn't solve the attempt on Bran's life and then gets his head chopped off. Oh dear.

EDIT: Right, so just so I'm clear........Robert Arryn was originally due to be fostered on Dragonstone, then when his father died there was a subsequent plan to foster him with Tywin at Casterly Rock: THIS plan was told to Ned by King Robert, who then told Catelyn, hence why Catelyn thinks this was always the plan? I found the other mentions in aGoT (through the newly discovered search function on the iBook), but I couldn't quite figure out the origin of the Tywin plan. I still don't really see why either of these plans would need to be covered up, or would need to be told to certain people........so perhaps it IS an allusion to the aSoS spoiler that Dragonfish posted, but it still stands as a simple mix-up if it wasn't?

EDIT: Right, so just so I'm clear........Robert Arryn was originally due to be fostered on Dragonstone, then when his father died there was a subsequent plan to foster him with Tywin at Casterly Rock: THIS plan was told to Ned by King Robert, who then told Catelyn, hence why Catelyn thinks this was always the plan? I found the other mentions in aGoT (through the newly discovered search function on the iBook), but I couldn't quite figure out the origin of the Tywin plan. I still don't really see why either of these plans would need to be covered up, or would need to be told to certain people........so perhaps it IS an allusion to the aSoS spoiler that Dragonfish posted, but it still stands as a simple mix-up if it wasn't?

That's about right. Jon Arryn decided to have his son fostered on Dragonstone to toughen him up a bit (Stannis would do that perfectly), Lysa doesn't want to be separated from her son so she murders him while accusing the Lannisters, who then make King Bob send him to Casterly Rock to shut her up. I think it's definitely an allusion to the ASoS reveal that Lysa murdered Jon : when you have Robert being fostered at CR it might be interpreted as the Lannisters wanting Lysa to keep silent about something they've done, but when it's Jon sending his son to Dragonstone there's just no connection to the Lannisters and Jon Arryn's murder.

-big spoilers, obviously-

I have a couple of questions that don't have an answer yet, not at least until the next book... but i'm just wondering what you think might have happened.

-Do you think that Bran was with Jon at the night's watch as The Old Bear's Raven? (After Bran finally met the 3 eyed crow and got more powers)

- and do you think the night's watch killed Ghost too? I really hope not :crying:

A follow up question to my previous posts: what was Lysa's motivation for sending the raven to Catelyn at the beginning of aGoT? I can certainly imagine that Littlefinger is capable of making something up, but what could he have said to embroil, and therefore endanger, Catelyn into the whole mess?

Just to clarify - does Martin ever specify in the Quiet Isle bit of aFfC as to where the Elder Brother comes from? I know he narrates to Brienne and co. that he's the knight who fought for Rhaegar in the Battle of the Trident, lost the girl he was trying to win over, etc, but does it ever state which kingdom or township he's from?

I have a small question too.

In "A Feast for Crows", when Brienne is at the Crossroads Inn, Hyle said : "This is the inn where Sandor Clegane killed three of his brother's men". But If it was the same Arya would have talk with Gendry, no ?

Gendry was still with the Brotherhood Without Banners after Arya had run off and the Hound caught her. Red Wedding > They wheel back down to Crossroads Inn > Shit goes down with Arya/Sandor > Brotherhood Without Banners sets the children & Gendry to chill there.

Just to clarify - does Martin ever specify in the Quiet Isle bit of aFfC as to where the Elder Brother comes from? I know he narrates to Brienne and co. that he's the knight who fought for Rhaegar in the Battle of the Trident, lost the girl he was trying to win over, etc, but does it ever state which kingdom or township he's from?

I don't think he cared to state what family/township he was from, as that is no longer who the Elder Brother is. He had found peace on the Quiet Isle and left his old life behind.

Thanks Burnt Worlds., I did'nt realize htat only few time passes between Arya left Gendry and the Red Wedding...

Another question.

I bought a recent edition of the first book (with Sean Bean in the cover) and when I bought the second one, because I'm curious I opened another edition of aGoT. But in this one I saw an extra chapter in the end, with Theon PoV. I did'nt have the time to read it. Why this chapter is not in my book and what happens to Theon ?

Thanks Burnt Worlds., I did'nt realize htat only few time passes between Arya left Gendry and the Red Wedding...

Another question.

I bought a recent edition of the first book (with Sean Bean in the cover) and when I bought the second one, because I'm curious I opened another edition of aGoT. But in this one I saw an extra chapter in the end, with Theon PoV. I did'nt have the time to read it. Why this chapter is not in my book and what happens to Theon ?

Maybe about him traveling to merry ol' Pyke?

-big spoilers, obviously-

I have a couple of questions that don't have an answer yet, not at least until the next book... but i'm just wondering what you think might have happened.

-Do you think that Bran was with Jon at the night's watch as The Old Bear's Raven? (After Bran finally met the 3 eyed crow and got more powers)

- and do you think the night's watch killed Ghost too? I really hope not :crying:

-It is not mentioned or hinted in the book, and while capable to warg into ravens, Bran can do that only if the bird is in vicinity, so my guess would be no.

- About second question

Spoiler
Even Jon's death is still not certain, much less that of Ghost. Best to presume is that Ghost is still safely locked away.

A follow up question to my previous posts: what was Lysa's motivation for sending the raven to Catelyn at the beginning of aGoT? I can certainly imagine that Littlefinger is capable of making something up, but what could he have said to embroil, and therefore endanger, Catelyn into the whole mess?

When Catelyn meets Lysa at the Eyrie, Lysa says the letter was meant to warn Catelyn to stay away ("To warn you, so you could stay away from them! I never meant to fight them!"), not to get her involved. It would seem that Littlefinger convinced Lysa of this, although Littlefinger obviously knew the letter would have the opposite effect, at least with Ned.

One thing I'm not sure of: did Littlefinger expect that the letter would convince Ned to keep Catelyn at Winterfell where it was safe? I think that's likely.

Littlefingers plan was to put Starks against Lannisters from the beginning, and he used Lysa to start the conflict between two houses. As to why involve Catelyn my opinion is that it is sorta complicated. He loved her and hated her in the same time, he wanted her to come to King's Landing, and give him chance to try to seduce her again, in the same time probably thinking that he will be able to protect her from harm and, by implicating her in his games and thus endangering her, also wanted to punish her for choosing Eddard over him.

Archived