Ygritte cast!

Hyper

I never got the impression Ygritte was particularly ugly from reading the books. But in any case, I'm sure they'll dirty her up as a wildling, much like they did with Osha.

Not hideous ugly, but not pretty. Here's the first description of her from ACoK:

"Ygritte watched and said nothing. She was older than he'd thought at first, Jon realized; maybe as old as twenty, but short for her age, bandylegged, with a round face, small hands, and a pug nose. Her shaggy mop of red hair stuck out in all directions. She looked plump as she crouched there, but most of that was layers of fur and wool and leather. Underneath all that she could be as skinny as Arya."

They could drop the whole Reek subplot and just introduce Ramsay at the very end of the season.

We would lose Ramsey's evilness and his involvement with Bran and Rickon's death but it would work plotwise. They can explore Ramsay in future seasons, if we get that far. Not ideal obviously.

Ygritte definitely works. Don't even have to use a wig!

No it wouldn't work at all . It's one thing to cut a useless character like the Blackfish as opossed to Ramsay which is important at the end of the season

Funny that Rose has been cast, because I think her "replacement" on Downton Abbey looks more the part: Amy Nuttall http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1142271/

Though Rose was very good on Downton Abbey season 1 and she's a solid casting choice for a pivotal character in Jon Snow's life. They'll make a great couple. Obviously they're going for "Hollywood plain" as Rose is a lot more beautiful than Ygritte is described in the book. I hope they give her crooked teeth though, just to give her some similarity with the book other than hair colour and freckless.

"Final significant player" sounds to me like either Roose is going to take on the Ramsey role and Reek will merely be a Reek preparing the way for Roose to take over Winterfell. Or Osha takes the role of both Reeds and someone else goes with Rickon. If Ramsey is cut that would still only leave room for one Reed to turn up at Winterfell, I aimgaine that'll be Jojen with Osha taking on Meera's role in the story. TBH I think Osha is a good substitute for Meera. Lets face it the TV series will never delve into backstory to the extent that Meera's tale becomes important. And other than her knowledge of Westerosi history Meera and Osha are very much alike.

Dang, if they send off an ordinary Northerner with Rickon and Rickon is where we think he might be as of ADWD, if the series ever gets to ADWD I think they're going to have to put Rickon somewhere else. Probably no biggie in the grand scheme of things.

No, that would be changing the best thing out of this boring book .

Yet you still go around and directly suggest Amy, who at least according to the pictures at IMDB looks a lot more "Hollywood" model than Rose does. Oh well.

Except in Downton Abbey, i.e. not airbrushed photos, I find Gwen to be prettier than Ethel in the context of characters who do not wear makeup and fancy clothes. So yes, I do think Amy makes for a potentially plainer looking Ygritte than does Rose, all things being equal. And I think my frame of reference to form my own subjective judgement of relative beauty is better than looking at stills on IMDB. Hence my original statement about who looks more the part.

It's one thing to cut a useless character like the Blackfish as opossed to Ramsay which is important at the end of the season

I didn't suggest cutting Ramsay. I suggested that they may cut Reek, which doesn't have to be the same thing. :)

So yes, I do think Amy makes for a potentially plainer looking Ygritte than does Rose, all things being equal.

Ok. Not that it matters, given that HBO can make her as pretty or as plain as they like.

I didn't suggest cutting Ramsay. I suggested that they may cut Reek, which doesn't have to be the same thing. :)

Ok. Not that it matters, given that HBO can make her as pretty or as plain as they like.

We never see Reek. In fact, he has actually been dead by the time we first hear of him.

Not hideous ugly, but not pretty. Here's the first description of her from ACoK:

"Ygritte watched and said nothing. She was older than he'd thought at first, Jon realized; maybe as old as twenty, but short for her age, bandylegged, with a round face, small hands, and a pug nose. Her shaggy mop of red hair stuck out in all directions. She looked plump as she crouched there, but most of that was layers of fur and wool and leather. Underneath all that she could be as skinny as Arya."

I'm not sure how this description makes her pretty or not: she's got a round face and a pug nose, neither of which make somebody ugly. Other than that, all we get are that she has red hair that is is wildly ungroomed, she's maybe twenty years old, short (and is bandylegged, but is the type of detail that's unlikely to make the transition for most characters), and is bundled up in wool and leather. Basically, it's a circumstance where a lot of people, who look good when they are made up, can look pretty ordinary.

We never see Reek. In fact, he has actually been dead by the time we first hear of him.

Thank you. I did know that but its always good to know that people don't understand what i'm saying. :)

To spell this out as clear as I can. Ramsay plays Reek up to Theon's final chapter. We don't actually need that version of Reek at all. (I hope he is included of course, as it shows how evil Ramsay can be). The whole Reek plotline can dissappear. Theon can pretend to kill Bran/Rickon on his own initiative. Ramsay is only truly needed at the very end when he attacks Winterfell and captures Theon.

Thank you. I did know that but its always good to know that people don't understand what i'm saying. :)

I understand the difference completely, however you seemed to be suggesting the possibility that they might have cast two separate actors for Reek and Ramsay. If that's not how you meant it, then I misundertand what you wrote.

To spell this out as clear as I can. Ramsay plays Reek up to Theon's final chapter. We don't actually need that version of Reek at all. (I hope he is included of course, as it shows how evil Ramsay can be). The whole Reek plotline can dissappear. Theon can pretend to kill Bran/Rickon on his own initiative. Ramsay is only truly needed at the very end when he attacks Winterfell and captures Theon.

I think that would be terrible. It wouldn't make any sense to the people who haven't read the books, and honestly that final scene between him and Theon is one of the best twists/moments in the series.

Gotta have me some Reek.

I think that would be terrible. It wouldn't make any sense to the people who haven't read the books, and honestly that final scene between him and Theon is one of the best twists/moments in the series.

It could be terrible but I imagine D&D are cleverer than that. :) Reek turning into Ramsay is rather confusing in the books, so i'm not sure how this option is more confusing.

Its pretty simple really. Winterfell is supposed to be rescued by the Boltons but they suddenly turn on the remaining Stark loyalists. How well this plays depends on how they deal with Roose. We know he is in S2. And D&D could make a big deal of him informing Robb (in some way) that his bastard son will deal with these Ironborn. And then we fade to an army of Bolton men arriving at Winterfell. And then...

I actually think it could be quite neat. :) They have to cut some stuff from aCoK and in this way we still have all the key events.

It could be terrible but I imagine D&D are cleverer than that. :) Reek turning into Ramsay is rather confusing in the books, so i'm not sure how this option is more confusing.

Its pretty simple really. Winterfell is supposed to be rescued by the Boltons but they suddenly turn on the remaining Stark loyalists. How well this plays depends on how they deal with Roose. We know he is in S2. And D&D could make a big deal of him informing Robb (in some way) that his bastard son will deal with these Ironborn. And then we fade to an army of Bolton men arriving at Winterfell. And then...

I actually think it could be quite neat. :) They have to cut some stuff from aCoK and in this way we still have all the key events.

Why would the cut one of the best parts of the book instead of Arya's boring wandering or most of Bran's boring chapters . Oh, and i'm saying i want them to keep all the winterfell scenes like they were in the book because Reek has to be there to make Theon do those horrible acts . If Theon does those by himself then that means he is more evil then in the books , which i never saw Theon as truly evil ..

Heh. Weird. You want Reek but you want them to reduce Bran's role, even though its through his POV that we are introduced to Reek and see a lot of the Theon/Reek story. :) And while you might not like the Arya chapters, she is the favourite character for many.

Anyhow, it too early to know anything for sure. I just prefer to keep my mind open given we are not aware of Reek been cast so far.

And Reek didn't make Theon do anything. Reek just suggested it and Theon was weak enough to go along with it. That role can easily be taken by some random Ironborn. The story doesn't really change. Its just simplified.

Archived