Jon Snow’s (possible) reign

Ice Turtle

I'm going to venture back on topic and then stray... :cool4:

First I'll say, you all have incredible memory retention. Some of the subtleties went completely over my head, even though I read GoT (3x), CoK (3x), SoS (3x), AFfC (2x) and DwD (1.5x).

That being said... First Jon can't be Ice (metaphoric) if he is R+L=J, that would make him both, or Slush as someone pointed out. hee, hee. That would make him the embodiment of Ice and Fire, as the prophesies state. (still unsure of the whole PwwP thing, What was he promised?) So if Dany is Fire, the there must be a full blown Ice. Bran maybe. If we think Geographically, the north is the Ice and south is Fire. Jon cannot reign only the North if he is both. I don't think he will "reign" at all but will become the catalyst for the settling both sides. Similar with his actions of bringing the freeman below the Wall. He style is empathy for all, with the exceptions of those he thinks evil. Others, Lannisters, etc... I believe Jon's role will be smaller, as it will be difficult to convince the whole realm he is a trueborn prince of Rheagar. Jon is only part of the the Song, the rest stems from Magic. I believe the Gods are mans explanation of Magic, and there is no battle of the gods. Bran and the weirwoods seem to support this idea. Ultimately the Song will be Dragons and the Others, probably at the Wall. Both will fall and leave humans left to pickup the pieces. IF Jon reigns in any capacity it will be from Castle Black as liaison to the North of the Wall.

I read on another thread the idea of only one magic with many manifestations, similar to MF god and the seven. This seems to hold true of the different aspects. Winter may be the catalyst, since it all started at the end of summer. Others rise and dragons to fight them back. All the rest is just side effects of those two forces.

Anyway, thanks for reading, and I look forward to it being ripped apart.

I also think that the "gods" are the humans interpretations of the magical forces. But, how are the Others linked to this magic, who do they fight for? They seem to have an agenda of their own, unlike the dragons who seem to be just flying around, burning things at random and eating sheep :)

To me the dragons and the Others do not look like they are each others counterparts in the Song of Ice and Fire. I feel like there is something missing in our information on both sides.

But what triggers the rise of the Others and then as a counterweight the dragons? This is something we have been discussing. Do you think it comes automatically from when one end of the magic "spectra" (or what should we call it?) grows stronger somehow, or that something intentionally makes it happen?

I think that if summer ending was all it took, the Others should have risen many times before this particular winter and there should be war every change of season, which there has not been. There is something more behind it that we have not seen yet. And maybe we will not ever know what that is, GRRM could choose to leave us with some mysteries in the end.

Back on topic!

I also believe that Jons part in this will be intermediary somehow between the two forces of magic, and possibly that he needs to be in a positions to rule for this to be achieved. I find it unlikely that he will be sitting on the Iron Throne, at least before the War for Dawn, there will just be to much to do and to little time! But he will rule as King in the North or lord protector, regent or something like it, in the north.

The first thing for him to do will be to stabilize the political situation in the north, then maybe look south for alliances if there is time and opportunity, before the war for dawn.

It's possible the Others are just fighting against what they see as intruders. Their magic manifest soley in creating wrights from dead humans. (I am curious as to there social makeup.) Summer makes them docile as they seem to favor cold. (or they spur on the winters as also their magic) As to dragons, obviously baby dragons need time to grow and develope as their leaniage was ended and they have no race to speak of. Lighting things on fire and eating sheep...well they are children. Where the Others were lying in wait.

Back to Jon, Dany will take the Iron Throne by shear power as is her fate with the dragons and will believe Jons leaniage, maybe because the dragons like him. She will alline with Jon in combatting the Others, thus building the alliance. Jon may act, as is his LC role, as watcher or Protector in the North. I don't think he will rule Winterfell, because his birth is still clouded assuming R+L=J. And Sansa, Arya, Bran, and Rickon are in line before him. He will always give way to them. I could see Arya as Queen of the North. She is strong enough abeit still wild, but more "of the North" than Sansa. Bran is more of mystic than ruler, Rickon will probably be a hulking brute, and Sansa having a dead wolf and less Northern is better as Lady of the Erie, more inline with Catlyn than Ned. Although Sansa could become more crazy and obsessive with Cersi's, and LF as mentors.

There I go straying.

Another thought for Jon, it's possible the NW will become different, maybe lords of a sort, and will allow marriages and children, depending on how tame North of the Wall is after the final conflict. Anyway, I would like to see Jon wed with children, if he survives. I think that would be appropriate, and possible if he no longer considers himself Bastard.

I'm rather thinking that the Others bring the long winter with them, since it was end of summer when they appeared and the cold had not set in yet. Others came first - then the long winter comes. There has been many winters (short ones) without any Others.

I also think it's weird if the Others rose to fight the intruders, because the intruders have been there for a long time (I suppose by intruders you mean the wildlings?). So nothing has changed north of the wall really.

I can really see Arya in some role of power too, based on her personality, she always wanted to be a lord, rather than a lady :)

Her journey have me a little less convinced that this will happen though, the Faceless men seem like a dangerous group that will not look kindly on deserters. In any case she will have a big role to play in the future, being an assassin puts her in a good position to deliver vengeance, but her assignments could mean she may have to kill some people we like too.

I wrote about the NWs future in earlier posts here on the thread, but to sum it up, I think the NW is going to be very different indeed, the vows could be abandoned since it's likely to me that it will be manned by the wildlings (if there is a wall still). I hope for a lot of things concerning Jon (wishful thinking), but somehow I don't think Jon will have a family-life. I think he may survive but not necessarily as the nice, good guy that we know from previous books. He will be changed from what he's been through I think.

The Others causing winter or the reverse, either way it makes interesting speculation. However, what causes the long summer, if the Others cause long winter? Maybe the waves of magic? Summers with short winters are the bottoms and long winters, short summers at the top? Could give more credence to the way in which magic wans at certain times. I have a hard time with the Others as the catalyst of winter, you would expect a greater presence of Others for that. Also I don't remember the Others mentioned in the last long winter. Then again my memory isn't so good.

I believe your right, Jon will have a less than ideal end. Such is the fate of the good guys in this story. Well see.

• 1 month later...

Archived