EasterCon 2012: BwB Shenanigans (Attendance List first post)

Chaldanya

I've never done a Con across the pond, so please let me know how best to get in touch with everyone...in the US, we tend to text message each other. However, I've heard that using a US cell phone anywhere other than the US and Canada is an invitation to a HUGE phone bill...so, if you have any hints, please let me know!!

Check with your cell phone provider but most have overseas plans you can use while you are temporarily abroad. For example I use AT&T and the day I leave they switch my phone to a plan that makes your phone calls not cost prohibitive and you can usually get a certain amount of text messages included. Then the day after I return they just switch me back to my regular plan. To the extent you get text messages included it means you can text people at the con for no extra cost even though they are technically long distance for your phone since you still have to use the international country code with their number.

is anyone going to be around on Thursday? We'll need to book flights and room soon, so I'm wondering what day it's best to arrive.

I'll be there on Thursday. Arriving about 8 in the morning. :wideeyed:

But I'm not staying at the Con Hotel. :)

ETA:

I'm staying at a guesthouse, about 500m from the con hotel, same street.

I've got a spare bed in my room, although I'm not entirely sure if it's a seperate bed. :blush:

I'm paying 325 pounds for 5 nights, breakfast included. :)

I would share the room if anyone is interested. :)

Ugh! I think I'll change my hotel reservation!

The guesthouse I chose is a little lot farther/further/whatever away than I thought. :blush:

There are still room available at the Radisson. Maybe I'll book a room for 2 there after all. Although it's a looot more expensive than the guesthouse. :tantrum: :P

I'm flying with BA, I got it a lot cheaper by booking a flight home at about 2130 on Monday. It does mean kicking around the airport for the day, but it's a lot cheaper than an earlier flight. I didn't bother checking EasyCrash flights, the added costs or inconvenience would probably cancel out any savings.

Iceman, I think the Ibis is less than a mile from the main terminals. It doesn't include breakfast.

Ok...

I booked a room for 2 at the Sheraton Skyline Hotel. It IS cheaper than the Radisson and not far away. :P

I could only take a Double Bed, no single beds available, just 2 double beds. I didn't want that, so, I'm prepared to stay in the room alone. :bawl:

I would still share it, though. :)

I'm flying with BA, I got it a lot cheaper by booking a flight home at about 2130 on Monday. It does mean kicking around the airport for the day, but it's a lot cheaper than an earlier flight.

This is probably a question for Eloisa/MCGeek but the con is on the 9th April, the Monday, right? I had planned to go home on Tuesday unless Monday night is completely dead?

This is probably a question for Eloisa/MCGeek but the con is on the 9th April, the Monday, right? I had planned to go home on Tuesday unless Monday night is completely dead?

Formal programming should stop at around 8pm on the Monday evening - it tends to slim to just one or two streams after around 6pm - but the Dead Dog will go on till late and filking is likely to go on most of the night. Derfel Cadarn, you should be able to leave your stuff in secure store in the hotel and enjoy the last day and evening of the con before getting your flight. (Assuming you're flying from Heathrow back north and you don't have to cross to another airport.)

Just found out that my coworker wants the second week of the Easter holidays off, so I'll have to fly back on Monday evening...I might come to London a bit earlier though, on Tuesday or Wednesday. Anyone else there to hang out with?

Just found out that my coworker wants the second week of the Easter holidays off, so I'll have to fly back on Monday evening...I might come to London a bit earlier though, on Tuesday or Wednesday. Anyone else there to hang out with?

London BWB is always around.

"Never knowingly under-partied"

Formal programming should stop at around 8pm on the Monday evening - it tends to slim to just one or two streams after around 6pm - but the Dead Dog will go on till late and filking is likely to go on most of the night. Derfel Cadarn, you should be able to leave your stuff in secure store in the hotel and enjoy the last day and evening of the con before getting your flight. (Assuming you're flying from Heathrow back north and you don't have to cross to another airport.)

E is quite correct; A bonus of having the con over Easter Weekend is that you get two bank holidays.

Always worth staying as late as you can at one of these things!

2 bank holidays? We only get Easter Monday off...

Speaking of which, what's the best and fastest way to get from Heathrow to London City Airport on a bank holiday late afternoon?

I should warn you that If my Brother attends I may also be giving him a lift home, which would mean you whould have to spend about 1hr? (need to check the timings) of forced captivity in his company. :pimp: although don't know if one in the backseat and one in the front with me playing gooseberry is conductive to the potential start of a beautiful friendship. (both in the back seat may not be that suttle)

AAAAARGH!!! :tantrum: :P

Ok, after getting information about UK bed-sizes I've decided to NOT share my room. Should have informed me before booking. :leaving:

At least the price is the same as for a single room. ;)

Archived