UK Editions of Storm of Swords

Locuna

Hi there,

My copy of 'Storm of Swords: Steel and Snow' arrived today. I'm a little confused as to how the UK versions of these books have been published.

Judging by the titles of the books can I assume that 'Steel and Snow' will exclusively tell the story of Westeros (The Starks, Lannisters, the Night's Watch etc) and 'Blood and Gold' tell of Dany's story?

If this is correct, are events in the separate books supposed to be happening at the same time?

If this is the case, I have to say I'm a little disheartened; Dany's chapters in Clash of Kings were very uninteresting. Even in Game of Thrones the Westeros storyline blew hers out the water. I'm not sure I could handle a whole 600 pages dedicated to her wandering around desolate lands again... Hopefully someone will be able to clarify that either this isn't the case or that something interesting finally happens to her in Blood and Gold?

Thanks in advance!

No, the book has simply been split in half. The first half ends just after (or just before, I forget) Jon Snow's encounter at Queenscrown (with Bran and co hiding in the tower).

Notably, the ebook and new UK hardcover editions reunite the book into one volume again.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, the story remains unaffected. It was just due to the sheer size of the novel the publishers deceided to split the publication and publish aSoS as two seperate volumes.

Originally, the novel was going to be around 1,200 pages, which is just too big, and would have been a nightmare to display in bookshops.

I think you can purchase a 'complete edition' which costs around £10 but unfortunately is only avaliable for the Kindle. Although for around £18 you can get a hardback reissue that contains both volumes.

As said above, the story remains completely unaffected and Part 1, which I am 3/4 of the way through, contains chapters from both Westeros and Dany. I am really enjoying the Dany chapters, I really disliked her in a Clash of Kings, but she grew on me in aSos

I think it was a money making scheme more than anything. There are a few other 1200+ paperbacks that sold millions, Shogun by James Clavell for one.

Yeah, come to think of it, that does sound more likely, especially after seening HP Lovecraft's Necronomicon on display in my local bookshop today! I think it's a real shame that publishers will exploit the size of a book.

• 1 month later...

Would anyone who has the UK paperback edition be so kind as to give me some info on the chapter page numbers? It is my understanding that Steel and Snow ends up at Chapter 41 and Blood and Gold resumes immediately with a Daenerys chapter.

Is that correct? Does the first chapter of B&G begin at page 1?

What I want is to fill the "UK Paperback" column of the table at http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Chapters_Table_of_contents#A_Storm_of_Swords, starting again midway to reflect the division in two books.

Any volunteers for the info?

I agree that it was largely a money making exercise. Iirc, it was only the UK that had it in two parts.

Btw, for those that haven't got aDwD yet, a bloke in Waterstones told me that it's also being published in two parts. The single-part hardback is £15 in there atm, so if anyone was waiting for the 'cheaper' version (out in March btw), it's probs worth getting the hardback- not saving much.

Dany's chapters in A clash of kings, as far as I am in the book, are sure not so pumped as in AGoT, but they are still great IMO... yes, there might not be so much action, but the tension is felt, as she is experiencing the things that drove her brother mad and her struggling with them on grander scale... plus I feel the author is exploiting her a little to make a tour around the east for us... another thing is the tension I can feel around her, the jealousy and hidden power games cos everyone is starting to notice her dragons and imagines them as their means to become a king of sorts... dunno how about you but I am always happy when I see I'm about to proceed on one of her chapters, they simply have a charm

cant wait to finish ACoK and proceed on ASoS :)

thanks for the advice about how the books are divided, I'm glad it is only split cos of size and not geographically and all... I guess I will have enough of that when I start AFfC and ADwD :D

Archived