rereading

tidalrynoalbino

My first post! I have been looking at the forums for a few months but haven't posted anything until now. I have read all the books up to dance with dragons, im about halfway through dance but now i want to start reading through the series again along with still reading dance. There are a lot of things I have forgotten and it will be nice to go back and read it again.

• 1 month later...

I was just finished rereading Game of Thrones for the first time in a few years. Since then, I have seen the show... and I have to say rereading the story AFTER having seen the show makes me kind of pissed at Dan and Dave.

- The battle of the Red Fork- IN the show Robb sends 2,000 men to face Lord Tywin's army and goes to fight Jaime with 18,000 men... In the book, he sends the majority of his host to face Tywin under Roose Bolton and takes the majority of his horses to go to Riverrun and break the siege. So yes, both moves are cautious, but the TV show really makes Tywin look like a fool that his outriders couldn't tell the difference between 2,000 and men and a real army. In the book, I would guess the host was about 12,000 or so .. I know this isn't that big a deal, but i just kind of bothered me because there is no way Tywin and all his knights and lords would have thought that was the full Stark host. They probably wouldn't even have bothered to face 2,000 men in formal battle

- Not having Riverrun. I know not including Riverrun or the Tullys was purely for budgetary reasons BUT it is a huge loss. The main motivation of crossing at the Twins is that Edmure was taken captive and Jaime's host had chased Blackwood and other survivors to Rivverun that he has under siege. That is why its so important to cross at the Twins and it makes the whole fighting in the River Lands so much more important. At one point in the show, Robb says "if we do this the River lords will join us" but in reality, the River Lords were the first to stark fighting... It will be interesting to see if and when they include RIverrun in the show because it plays an important part in the military strategy in season 2, season 3, and season 4 when the Blackfish is under siege. If they couldn't afford to have Riverrun in the show, they should have at least talked about it more and explain what was going on.

- The fight in the wolfswood between the wildlings and Bran/Robb/Theon/wolves... This was SO underdone in the show. They had one scene to make the dire wolves be really bad ass and they blew it. Would love to have seen Grey Wind and Summer kicking ass, but instead they don't even go with them on their ride...

- Khal Drogo's death- in the show he literally has nothing more than a cut. In the book, he gets an arrow shot through his arm and has his nipple and a huge chunk of his breast cut off. In the show, if you hadn't read the book you really wouldn't understand why Drogo died, they just don't make it clear. In the book Drogo is more seriously injured and the Maegi's intentions are explained better

- The fight in the wolfswood between the wildlings and Bran/Robb/Theon/wolves... This was SO underdone in the show. They had one scene to make the dire wolves be really bad ass and they blew it. Would love to have seen Grey Wind and Summer kicking ass, but instead they don't even go with them on their ride...

You're right! I discovered the books after stumbling over a trailer on the HBO-site, where I was looking for something else.

I found out where to see more, saw some episodes on Internet and then bought and read books 1-5.

For me one of the main disappointments after reading AGOT was how they handled the direwolves.

The scene with dead mama-wolf was okay.

They decided to go for real animals for the growing pups and had a lot of trouble in bringing over the message.

The young 'wolves' in the show are much too cute, all of them. Not a bit like the fierce animals who are frightening even before adulthood, as implied in the story. I dislike even the scenes with the grown up Ghost. He is awsome and pretty, but not fierce. (And he is not mute!!!)

I think doing the wolves in CGI would have been better ... but of course that is very expensive.

But all in all I think the TV show Season 1 tried to be true to the feel of the story. And I'm grateful that what I saw was interesting enough to get me to the books.

• 3 weeks later...

The climb up to the Eyrie, as cool as it would have been to see, is not of any relevance to the story, at least so far. So i cant blame them for it. It was enough with Lysa´s "its impossible to siege the Eyrie, let them all come and not one of them will be able to get up here."

Archived