Random questions + thoughts

Thorgan

Hey

First post \o/

When I read books like this one I always try to pay attention to detail and figure out stuff ahead of time (WoT fan here).

Is there anything big we can figure out so far by paying attention to detail?

Quite a few mysteries so far. Dragon glass stash, Ben stark, what happens past the wall, who sent the assassin to kill bran, etc etc

So far I clearly liked the first book the better then the second. Eddard and Lady dying is pretty good cause it's not normal to kill off such important characters. But other then that most of the action is not that surprising -> not as awesome. Eddard was only really a surprise because he had so many PoVs, other then that he was one of those typical father/teach characters which always die. At least he won't be a Gandalf/Moiraine (please?).

And Bran/Rickon not dying was obvious because they died in such a vague way. Still not a single Stark kid is dead :7 I really hope they wont bring Nymeria back, that would just be stupid.

Also, random predictions:

-Arya goes to Brevos somehow and learns to be a faceless man. But she'll have to leave halfway through her training again. When she gets back she thinks about killing all those evil people on her list but then decides against it (maybe after killing 1-2)

-Jon is really Avatar/Pokahontas and gets this "now I spent time with Wildlings they aren't so bad and I don't want to kill them anymore" + a love story (probably with the girl he rescued)

-Bran and Rickon decide to go to the wall for safety.

-Daerys somehow gets an army using her dragon (keeps all of them ofc) and somehow manages to come back (probably in 2-3 books :7)

-Stannis will obviously die sooner or later because he's the villain now. And I'm pretty sure he has to pay some kind of price for his magic assassin.

-Sam gets to send out the ravens (way too much talk about them, they have to be used somehow).

Also, random question:

How does weather work in westeros? I figured Winterfell would be simillar to Canada/Norway and at the wall about Alaska. But apperantly there are quite a few people even further north. How does that work?

No real connection between those four paragraphs at all oO

• 2 weeks later...

As for your predictions, read on and all will be revealed!Some are right, close and wrong, so yes read on and find out!

The place beyond the wall is alaska x10? maybe, it snows alot and blizzards as far as i can remember, and is very cold and damp place as to be expected.

I know my response is vague but i noticed you had no replies to this thread and thought one is better than none!

Enjoy reading on!

• 1 month later...

Hey

First post \o/

First post here too (HI!). I just finished ACOK last night, had to give the wife her Kindle back. Was praying that a forum like this existed (to discuss with others still reading through them) so I could kill time till the next book or until AGOT S2. Glad I found this.

I really hope they wont bring Nymeria back, that would just be stupid.

Really? I can't imagine this NOT happening. It seems to be fairly obvious, but not so obvious as to seem contrived or patronizing, at least as long as there some complexity built around it. I actually thought it would happen just before Arya and Gendry and Hotpie were picked up and taken to Harrenhal. I anticipated that as her proximity to Winterfell got closer, she would start to experience avatar-y moments (like Bran and Jon) which would reveal Nymeria was still around. Was a bit surprised it didn't happen, but I am holding out hope.

• 5 months later...

I like your Arya prediction! I suspect something like this might happen as well. The Jon prediction is...interesting...won't say anymore for the sake of avoiding spoilers. Bran and Rickon prediction is strange because I don't think the Wall is the safest place to be with frequent wildling attacks and the fact that The Watch is low on manpower at the moment. Dany prediction is interesting, won't say anymore concerning that. You think Stannis is a villian? Sam prediction was a bit vague but okay I guess.

As far as the weather, I picture the King's Landing area to be like southern Italy (Mediterranean climate) Winterfell to be like southern Alaska (subarctic climate) and then beyond the wall to be like the Arctic (frozen tundra). The in between places have climates that are...well...in between.

Hey

First post \o/

When I read books like this one I always try to pay attention to detail and figure out stuff ahead of time (WoT fan here).

Is there anything big we can figure out so far by paying attention to detail?

I would suggest going back into A Game of Thrones and trying to deduce what it is exactly that Ned promised his sister Lyanna. There are maybe three people that know this answer; one being GRRM and the other two possibly the HBO show-runners. Many other people, myself included, think they do know the answer and that it is vastly significant, but we could all be completely wrong. It's probably the largest theory regarding how the Song of Ice and Fire will play out in the end, but I would avoid researching it outside the books until I'd finished A Dance with Dragons.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I really hope they wont bring Nymeria back, that would just be stupid.

Also, random question:

How does weather work in westeros? I figured Winterfell would be simillar to Canada/Norway and at the wall about Alaska. But apperantly there are quite a few people even further north. How does that work?

No real connection between those four paragraphs at all oO

Nymeria at least as far as I am, into the 2nd or 3rd book don't remember, lets just say GRRM doesn't often follow tradition tropes. When he does it tends to make sense and be for a REASON that is NOT 'make the fans feel all warm an happy'.

Th weather in ASOFAI is unique it doesn't follow any real world/planetary systems. but it seems that as you move from KL north is goes from temperate to cold as cold gets. With the seasons following no known pattern. We have heard of 'summers lasting 9 years' and 'winters that lasted a generation' where whole generations lived an died in darkness. it is unknow at least textually (I may be wrong but I have yet to see it anywhere) whether the seasons of fall and spring exist. So far it appears to be a binary Summer/winter system to me...

• 6 months later...

..I'm pretty sure they reference autumn (fall) when the white raven is sent from the citadel. I think it's Catelyns POV, and she says something about hoping for a long autumn so they can gather the full harvest or something.. : P

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

First post here too (HI!). I just finished ACOK last night, had to give the wife her Kindle back. Was praying that a forum like this existed (to discuss with others still reading through them) so I could kill time till the next book or until AGOT S2. Glad I found this.

Really? I can't imagine this NOT happening. It seems to be fairly obvious, but not so obvious as to seem contrived or patronizing, at least as long as there some complexity built around it. I actually thought it would happen just before Arya and Gendry and Hotpie were picked up and taken to Harrenhal. I anticipated that as her proximity to Winterfell got closer, she would start to experience avatar-y moments (like Bran and Jon) which would reveal Nymeria was still around. Was a bit surprised it didn't happen, but I am holding out hope.

This is very symbolic. Both Arya and Nymeria were forced away from their family (pack), They were both taken in by another group. If arya reunites with her family, that means nymeria will at least reunite with summer and shaggydog, if not arya

Archived