Unpopular Opinions V

brashcandy

Ok, so the fifth thread is here in record time - and I've seen some spooky things posted on the last one, a Jaqen/Arya ship anyone? :)

Anyways, all is fair in love and war, so I'll start us off again!

- I am thoroughly spooked by Shireen Baratheon and I want her to die, quickly, along with Patchface.

- Why do people think the Willas match was a good thing for Sansa? I mean, can we all agree that something is not right about the Tyrell siblings?

- Shipping couples is only really satisfactory when there's a weird/warped element to the relationship: incest, age difference, a vast contrast in looks, power/social imbalances, etc etc... Otherwise, really what's the point?

- Why do people think the Willas match was a good thing for Sansa? I mean, can we all agree that something is not right about the Tyrell siblings?

- The Tyrells are just the Lannisters but a couple of decades late to the party. They really are nasty, dishonourable scum.

- Rhaegar was a moron in many ways. A typical young overachiever who can't settle on anything as an adult and becomes sort of OK at a lot of things but never the best at anything which he could have done with some application. He was also very quick to ascribe deep meaning to quirks of fate and coincidence for an intelligent person. Plus he was arrogant in the extreme to assume that he or his progeny were going to be the PWWP. Guess he thought Targ's were blessed with super sperm with the power to create semi-divine beings.

I think Bronn is massively overrated and I hope he dies soon. Hopefully at the hands of Tyrion, by strangulation, for not being willing to sacrifice his life for Tyrion's as well as for his avarice.

If Jon Snow and Daenerys Targaryen get married, I will pour gasoline on the book in which it takes place and light it on fire. Just... no.

If Tyrion is revealed to be a secret Targaryen, I will pour gasoline on the book in which it takes place and light it on fire. Just... no.

I don't believe that Jon, Dany, and Tyrion are the three main characters. I think ASOIAF is a coming of age story about the Stark children, all four of whom (with POVs) are main characters.

Ok, so the fifth thread is here in record time - and I've seen some spooky things posted on the last one, a Jaqhen/Arya ship anyone? :)

Anyways, all is far in love and war, so I'll start us off again!

- I am thoroughly spooked by Shireen Baratheon and I want her to die, quicky along with Patchface.

- Shipping couples is only really satisfactory when there's a weird/warped element to the relationship: incest, age difference, a vast contrast in looks, power/social imbalances, etc etc... Otherwise, really what's the point?

Actually, I wouldn't mind an Arya/ Jaqen shipping because it's so weird an unexpected!

Even more unpopular - what's the point of shipping, period?

Silly fun to pass the time between books?

I was rooting for Sansa/Willas because she would have escaped the Lannisters, his family asked her for her consent (I agree with those that say it wasn't that meaningful under the circumstances, but still) and because it was something that she was excited about. I thought she was very sweet with her plans to make Willas fall in love with her.

Admitted, I'm just not a very good shipper, unless it seems remotely likely that someone will get together. One I've pondered lately is Jon and Asha,

in the unlikely scenario that Jon survives

. She seems much more his type than Dany.

And Highgarden just seems like paradise for Sansa, with all its singers, artists, cobblestone s etc. I just wanted her to be in a better place, and Willas didnt' sound so terrible. Of course, KL looked that way to her at one point, so who knows?

Shipping couples is only really satisfactory when there's a weird/warped element to the relationship: incest, age difference, a vast contrast in looks, power/social imbalances, etc etc... Otherwise, really what's the point?

It's definitely more fun that way, although GRRM has played havoc with my understanding of what's normal, acceptable behaviour. I'm currently taking a class in Renaissance Tragedy, and was surprised by how horrified lots of people were by the (off-stage, implied) brother-sister relationship in 'Tis Pity She's A Whore. Like, if there's no altar and corpse involved, I'd call that fairly tame.

Rhaegar was a moron in many ways.

Even more unpopular: I am completely uninterested in Rhaegar, Lyanna, and any theories involving the two of them. If we never find out anything else about Jon's parentage, I won't care.

Eyeheartsansa: what's the point of shipping?

I was rooting for Sansa/Willas because she would have escaped the Lannisters, his family asked her for her consent (I agree with those that say it wasn't that meaningful under the circumstances, but still) and because it was something that she was excited about. I thought she was very sweet with her plans to make Willas fall in love with her.

Unfortunately the books are not about "how to get the characters happy" but they have an inner sadness and unpredictable beauty to get the readers happy. But not like six courses of dessert, rather like a wicked mixture of spices and tastes ,with your favorite grandma cooking layered in - and then you suddenly bite on a painfully hot chilli, but you knew all along this might happen.

Silly fun?! Banish the thought! I don't know about anyone else but I am very serious shipper. Lots of thought goes into my ships (sometimes), and whilst I hate the term "shipping", I have reluctantly made my peace with it and have embraced it as someone who sees that life without love is an empty shell, and therefore so is fiction.

:)

Even more unpopular: I am completely uninterested in Rhaegar, Lyanna, and any theories involving the two of them. If we never find out anything else about Jon's parentage, I won't care.

Yeah.. I'm more than content with all the information we've been given. These are supporting background characters necessary to give the main characters some depth. I don't think they are meant to be big game changers.

I was cautiously optimistic that they would meet and get along and things would turn out well for her. But no.

God it was heartbreaking. Even more so to discover that the Tyrells then completely ditched her, until they found out tge marriage hadn't been consummated and suddenly the offers of visiting Highgarden were back on.

The Tyrells are every bit as ruthless as the Lannisters but have even more finnesse than Tywin who sometimes made his involvement with certain events too plain.

Another unpopular opinion: I have no interest in what happened to Gerion Lannister.

People keep saying this, but I haven't yet seen it demonstrated how the Tyrells are as ruthless as the Lannisters. The Tyrells haven't caused nearly the same level of suffering on the common people as the Lannisters have, by way of the Mountain. I see how they were being fair-weather friends to Sansa, but this is not even close to the same league as someone like Tywin.

Very true about the Mountain and company, but Randall Tarly is fairly devastating in his campaigns.

The Tyrells are politically ruthless. Switching from Renly to Joff despite knowing he was a bastard, then indirectly involving Sansa in the murder of Joff and getting Tyrion falsely accused in the process. (Although that was set up by LF more than them).

Also they are generally power grabbing and slightly smarmy. Eh....and I don't know something about them just grates on me (a bit like Julia Roberts). There is no obvious reason, I'm just not fond of them.

One of the things that struck me with the Tyrells is a comparison to when Lysa told Sansa that she was going to have a grateful and obedient wife for her son. I think the Tyrells wanted exactly the same thing, they just had more social finesse than to say so straight out (and thus would have been more effective in accomplishing their goal).

I don't like the way they treated Sansa, at all. And they might not be deploying Hoat and Gregor, but Tarly isn't that much better.

The whole Lysa vibe about "dwarf's leavings" just oozed off them too, when they got interested in her again because they heard she was still virgin. :stillsick:

Hmm, I used to like Lady Olenna, but this is possibly due to the fact that the book is a bit short of REALLY successfully cunning and scheming women.....

I still really like the schemeing old woman, but I wouldn't want to be related to her by marriage. Her children and grandchildren she'd protect to the best of her abilities, but being married into the fam-I think you'd be expendable and replaceable if you cross her.

One of the things that struck me with the Tyrells is a comparison to when Lysa told Sansa that she was going to have a grateful and obedient wife for her son. I think the Tyrells wanted exactly the same thing, they just had more social finesse than to say so straight out (and thus would have been more effective in accomplishing their goal).

Yeah, It think that's a pretty astute observation.

Archived