Stannis' Army

sammyjankis

But how did he feed a couple thousand people on his small island dragonstone. By the way how big is it?

Just a guesstimate using measuring tools and a reference of 3000 miles from the wall to the southern coast of Dorne, it looks to be at least 40miles long by 20-ish wide. Easily big enough to feed many thousands.

• 2 months later...

I thought that after the Blackwater fighting Stannis army was very little. On the wall his army seems to be big because he easily wins against the free folk. Did I miss something? Did he recruit new troops?

Stannis' men were just better trained, better equipped and more disciplined. The only advantage the Wildlings had was their numbers, but the fact that they were totally taken by surprise even took that away from them.

It's a fairly realistic depiction imho. Read up on Caesar's campaign in Gaul, it was rare for him to have superior numbers and he scarcely even used all of his legions, not trusting those who had net yet been blooded enough.

I find it odd that out of all those men Mance had, no scout detected a significant force surrounding them. I always thought, right or wrong, Mance was a smart man who knew how to prepare himself for battle, but in this case he was absolutely overwhelmed due to lack of any preparation. If Stannis had faced the Wildlings head on, they might've still stood a chance because of superior armor, but it would have been very costly.

Mance had no reason to believe any sort of reinforcements were coming.

He knew that the gate at Castle Black was only guarded by a small skeleton crew. He also knew that the cream of the Night's Watch had been lost on the Fist of the First Men.

Don't forget that even the Black Brothers were surprised that a King actually answered their call.

Archived