The Fall of the Wall

I don't think the Wall fill actually break and crash down to make some nice crushed ice(LOL to the selling on ebay -post!), but somehow the magic in the Wall will fade away and that will provide a way for the Others to cross.

Whether it will be because the Night's Watch isn't "true" anymore (could be, they killed their LC who was basically the only one who got the real purpose of the damn thing) or because Mel screws up somehow with her R'hllor magic or who knows what, I can't say, but I just don't see it physically collapsing after someone blows a horn...

I remember Mormont talking about previous Lord Commanders always leaving the wall a little higher than they found it. I don't know if he was speaking literally but perhaps the wall was built much lower and just grew over time.

I don't think the murder of jon will tie directly to the downfall of the wall as LC Mormont was also murdered by his black brothers at Crasters keep (as well as many other LC's before him i assume). I think that the NW will disband/desert their posts following the recent passage of the Wildlings through the wall (or possibly be found guilty of treason by Stannis?) and this will cause the Wall to lose it's power.

Either that or Melisandre will accidentally press the big red DO NOT PRESS button for the wall's magic and blow it all to hell!

Sam has the horn!!! Jon gave it to him, the same time he gave him the dragonglass dagger.

Jon found it in the woods, right outside the Fist of the First Man.

Whoa, I totally forgot about that Horn.

It's definitely old enough to be the Horn of Winter, and if it could be repaired...

True I doubt Sam would deliberately destroy the Wall, but then again he doesn't know what he has. There's always the chance it will fall into the wrong hands.

It seems to me that some people just over think certain parts of these books.

People will believe what they want but GRRM is just like anyone of us. He can change his mind about what means what in the books.

Example- when he first started the books say in the 90s, he could have ment for dany to be Azor Ahai. The whole smoke and salt thing. But after awhile he could have changed his mind and now he wants Jon the be AA.

I'm not saying that's what he did, I'm just stating that he could have changed his mind about what why the book should go.

I read somewhere that GRRM ment to finish the books at the Red Wedding but then he just kept expanding.

I don't think the murder of jon will tie directly to the downfall of the wall as LC Mormont was also murdered by his black brothers at Crasters keep (as well as many other LC's before him i assume).

Indeed, there is mention at one point in its history of a war between two different factions in the Watch, so a little matter of sticking a knife in the latest Lord Commander counts for much in the staying true stakes. Its got to be something much more significant...

I think that given the ants dany sees and the "There are dead things in the water" line, that we are going to see at least the wights do what Shay Mazor said and just go around the wall though the water. Maybe then they will bring it down from the other side? Or perhaps there are more intelligent wights that already did this and are trying to steal the horn from Sam...

It seems to me that some people just over think certain parts of these books.

People will believe what they want but GRRM is just like anyone of us. He can change his mind about what means what in the books.

Example- when he first started the books say in the 90s, he could have ment for dany to be Azor Ahai. The whole smoke and salt thing. But after awhile he could have changed his mind and now he wants Jon the be AA.

I'm not saying that's what he did, I'm just stating that he could have changed his mind about what why the book should go.

I read somewhere that GRRM ment to finish the books at the Red Wedding but then he just kept expanding.

No the Red Wedding was the original ending of A Game of Thrones in his original outlines. Back then the series was supposed to be just 3 books long instead of the 7 (possibly 8) that it will be now.

Are the Others not described as being 'sleeping under the ice'? If the Wall is described as being a great wall of ice, and if the Wall has also been described by the Lord Commanders as being '

a little higher than they found it' - could there be Others in the Wall? Could of previous Lord Commanders who had encounters with the Others and for safe measures put them on top of the Wall and buried them in more ice?

The Wall could potentially fall when the the Others who are sleeping/trapped in the Wall awaken?

Am I the only one, by the way, who believes that the destruction of the Wall may somehow be a good thing in the end? No further use denying my romantic world views anyway.

I never heard of a wall dividing and alienating people to be an essentially good thing. And in a work of fiction? Some weird kind of metaphor if a big icey Wall would really prove to be the only thing protecting 'us' from 'them'. Xenophobia much? The Wall is a red herring, and we need it to fall, I think. Because the true enemy of humanity are not some lame ice monsters or mindless zombies, but other human beings, of course, with their need for love, power and approval. As has been shown to us in five books now.

This made me think of the Cold War. It only ended when the communists collapsed. I think the the wildlings MIGHT be metaphors for communists as they were very much self governed people in small communes that united under one flag (Mance/in some ways Lenin) and were trying to pass beyond the wall (internationalization). And those south of the wall obviously live in a capitalist imperialist society. So, what I'm saying IS that the Wall (The Berlin Wall) will probably eventually fall (even though in some ways it has already because the Wildlings have come through)... THEN AGAIN, I really can't seem to fit the Others into that theory so it's just a loose historical parallel... but I think EVEN though people think the wights are evil, there's more to them than meets the eye (Cold Hands, who I have a small suspicion was actually Benjen Stark ((though feel free to smother me with factors and evidence that rule this out)) is an example). I might even go as far as to make a prediction that if Jon does die, he will wake up as an Other. He WAS so interested in finding out about them and how they think, so he might get his wish and show us all they they are people too (in a twisted way).

I think the prophecy says that AA or PTWP would lead to a never ending summer. I read this as the end of The Others & Wights so it wouldn't be needed. I also thought it was so big because it was a big deal at some point so successive kings kept adding a few kilometres as a public symbol to win favour of the people.

It's gonna fall, the whole Jon stabbing looks like a clear way of making sure it doesn't happen on his watch. I think greyscale's going to be involved, the description of it just made me feel it was tied to The Others somehow.

Again this reminded me of the The Cold War... Cold. War... Cold... War. When it's over it wont be cold anymore?

And I agree. Shireen will kill the NW... or something. Val made too huge a deal over her for her greyscale not to effect things in a massive way.

There's also a way under the wall, through the caves Gindel used. Apparently those caves are some how connected to the one Bran is in and even the Children of the Forest say they don't their way through all of them. I assume they can't go through the water its too obvious of an oversight.

Sam has the horn!!! Jon gave it to him, the same time he gave him the dragonglass dagger.

Jon found it in the woods, right outside the Fist of the First Man.

Aah, the look on Sam's face when he accidently blows the Horn and the wall falls down infront of him, blocks of ice skidding and stopping at his feet...

• 5 months later...

Archived